shape
carat
color
clarity

limited budget, wat shd i get

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eternity

Rough_Rock
hi i am from singapore...
having problem getting a diamond...
have limited budget maybe around $5000 sing dollar = US$2950

shd i get a lazare cut G VS1 0.46ct diamond at $4620
or a GIA cert D/E VVS1 0.46ct diamond at a cheaper/same price?

would appreciate the help
thanks

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
You came to the right place...not only for the advice the others will give you, but because me, and a few others have been through the same thing...

I am in Singapore, though just a short term expat from the US...I have learned a lot.

First, Unless you want that brand name, get away from all stores you see at the shopping centers. Nobody at any store knew anything about diamonds (except one person at the store in Ngee Ann, 2 doors down from Larry...i forget the name)

Some were just out and out rude...House of Hung Jewelers
angryfire.gif

Recently, someone on the forum suggested me to check out a guy for a setting. He is a GG, and very nice. He looked at the specs on the diamond I purchased and said he would have been able to give about the same price...so he is competitive w/ the Internet. Across the hall from him is another place..haven't gone in yet, but judging by the low overhead, they might have good prices too.

Both of these places are located near Tiong Bahru MRT, but here is the address for Yuen Tung (the one I am in the middle of dealing with):
Yuen Tung
Block 1093 Lower Delta Road
#07-09
Tel: 62702278

Its on the 7th floor (I haven't explored the rest, there might even be some more places in it). It is more of an industrial office building. You have to ring the doorbell to get let in. But Whye Hoe (who is a Graduate Gemologist)is a really nice guy who is not opposed to sitting and talking a lot. They even have standard flourescent lighting in the office instead of the intense halogen lights that make any diamond look nice. (To me all this is a sign that they are not just salesmen).

If you are really looking to buy here in singapore, I would definately suggest looking there. But I also think the Internet offers some of the best deals around (proven by the fact I am buying mine that way). The one downside to buying from Yuen Tung is that he does not have a Sarin or OG machine...though I didn't find anyone in Singapore who did....most had never even heard of it.

If you go by, tell him I pointed you that way...I am getting a platinum setting made by him in the next week or so.

Feel free to send me a PM to get more info.

Hope this helps,
Stu

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Cowboystu is absolutely right - stay away from those jewellery shops at Orchard Road!

Even if you're uncomfortable buying from the internet, you'll get a much better deal (relative to buying from a Singapore B&M store) from Whye Hoe. He has a few diamonds in stock but if those are not suitable for you, you can always get him to procure a diamond for you. You just have to tell him your budget and the carat, cut, colour, clarity you want and he'll do the rest. And he can design the setting for you as well.

Cowboystu: glad you followed up on the recommendation. Sorry for not replying to your PM - but yes, it should be SGD600, not USD. Yuen Tung is a bizarre set-up in a very industrial-type building, isn't it? But I had a good feeling about them. Did Whye Hoe ask how you found him?

Flower P
wavey.gif

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
Very bizzare indeed...but once inside things are great.

I told him, and he knew who I was talking about...though he was amused I really didn't know your name or anything else.

He was very very nice and helpful. Mine will be a bit more expensive, but the setting I am looking at is a bit heavier than yours I think. Do you remember how many grams it came to?

Did you bargain with him at all, or was that his first offer?

Thanks,
Stu

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Nope, didn't bargain. It didn't seem appropriate somehow since someone had recommended him, etc. Did you?

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
Nope...just wanted to make sure it was wise to stick with what he said first...as i have learned is often not the case in Asia
sick.gif

Stu

eternity

Rough_Rock
thanks stu and flower p for the recommendation and advice... : P

appreciate... will take a look there.. thanks

Mercier

Rough_Rock
Hi Eternity,

I'm sorry if this reply is late but I just "found" this forum.......

The price you were quoted for the Lazare is quite expensive, they are indeed beautiful stones and if you want one, you could try bargaining a bit- there is a very sweet lady called Judy at the Ngee Ann City Branch.

Alternatively, if you are looking for a loose stone (GIA certified/H&A) I would be willing to help you link up with some of my friends that maintain a large stock of loose diamonds in the under 1 carat range for excellent prices.

I would also recommend searching Jonathan's (www.goodoldgold.com) website for excellent high performing diamonds.

CowbOystu: House of Hung gave you their special treatment?
9.gif

There IS a reason they lost that million dollar lawsuit a few years back you know
naughty.gif

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Mercier

Really? They were actually sued?
1.gif
Well, the way Cowboystu described the service (or should I say, treatment) he got there, I guess one shouldn't be surprised!

Eternity

The Lazare stones, while lovely, are quite pricey. Mercier's kind offer to refer you to his friends is a great idea. I too know a chap who can procure a diamond for you; just give him a call and tell him your budget and requirements (what color, what clarity, carat range, etc) and he'll find something for you. I think he charges a small procurement charge, so you should ask him about any fees etc.

Eric Wong (G.G.)
Ideal Gemological Laboratory
20 Upper Circular Road
#01-23 The Riverwalk
Singapore 058416
> Tel: 6538 1968
> Fax: 6538 4236
> Mobile: 9848 3286

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My I make a suggestion here?
If you go to the Pricescope home page and click on Search by Cut Quality and put in AGS Cert only, H&A only, .50 to .65 carats, D - F color, VVS1 - VS1 clarity, AGS lab only you will get a list of several diamonds all of which are equal to or better cut than Lazare and all for hundreds less than the lazare. The lazare is an AGS Ideal or 0 and very expensive. All of these are AGS Ideal and have Hearts and Arrows and cost you less.

Many from Singapore buy their diamonds here on the internet and are very happy because they get larger and better cut diamonds for a better price.

MDE

Rough_Rock
Eternity I think Diamondbob is making a good point,

If you are on a tight budget it would be wise to shop at known entities like the “Pricescope Vendors”

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd. (Australia)

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Yes, definitely!

I'm a consumer who bought from an internet vendor and it definitely worked out cheaper that way.

Eternity, feel free to PM me if you want to find out more or if you have any concerns about 'long distance diamond purchasing' you need addressed.

But if you're really uncomfortable about the idea of buying something off the internet, you should look into Mercier's suggestions or give Eric Wong a call.

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Eternity -

I am a Lazare diamond owner. My engagement ring diamond is a LK but I am also currently in the process of buying two AGS ideal proportioned diamonds for earrings. I absolutely LOVE my LK but I have to admit that comparing the LK next to the two AGS diamonds, I would recommend NOT paying the premium. My LK did appear slightly better than the AGS stones but I think it was due more to the fact that my LK is a D color whereas the AGS stones are H color.

I would recommend going with an ideal AGS diamond or a GIA with a Sarin/Megascope report.

Here is a link to an AGS000 0.616ct E VS1 that scores 1.1 ex ex ex vg on the HCA. It is within your budget at $US 2667 and should be awesome.
love.gif

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=11-ST201

Also within your budget at ~$US 2600, an AGS000 0.605ct D VS1 that scores 1.3 ex ex ex vg on the HCA.

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/ags0003466707/index.htm

I am sure that there are plenty others out there too.

Good luck!
wavey.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Stick with Pricescope
Search for your stone
You'll get the best deal
And you won't be alone

The fact that your chatting
Right here on this thread
Puts you on the right track
And miles ahead.

Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results