shape
carat
color
clarity

Lighten small sapphire stone

SapphGk

Rough_Rock
I have a mans ring with a tiny sapphire (maybe 10-12points?). The sapphire is very dark and light doesn't pass though unless it's over an LED. Is there an "at-home" method I can use to lighten it? It's set into a 14k white gold emblem which is set over 14k yellow gold. Will leaving it on the window sill on sunny days help the process along?
Thanks

SapphGk

Rough_Rock
I was afraid that'd be the case. Not even using a torch to heat it would alter it?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will melt the gold. Why not just replace the stone if it bothers you? A stone that size can be sourced by your jeweler and will not be very expensive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Gene, a 10 point sapphire is very expensive and you are better off replacing it as there's no way to lighten the colour.

SapphGk

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies. I am going to see about this today at a trusted jeweler. I have been dabbling with some old rings and have improved my polishing/restoration skills. I've heated a couple rings to cause a patina and then polished them and performed some scratch removal with a Dremel and Rouge. Just experimenting. I wish I could find a guide on setting stones so I can learn. There are a lot of nice inexpensive stones out there at this size and it'd be a nice skill to possess. I seem to have accidentally stumbled into this and it's becoming a hobby. Not to take anything away from professional Jewelers, but I genuinely enjoy working with jewelry and would like to develop some basic skills. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are interested in learning to set, Blaine's New Approach School or Revere would both be excellent choices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results