shape
carat
color
clarity

Lightbox Stud Earrings vs Moissanite Co

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Hi there everyone,

Wanted to get a few opinions.... I've never seen a lab-created diamond (either Lightbox or some another source). I do have a .50 carat soliaire pendant and a 1.0 carat solitaire pendant from MoissaniteCo. I truly cannot tell the difference between these and my natural diamond. Can anyone tell the difference between your natural diamond and lab diamond vs moissanite? I'm inteterested in trying Lightbox as they are cheaper than a lot of the other vendors to see if I can tell the difference. My goal is to replace my natural diamond because the cut is somewhat deep and so looks a bit small for a 1.50 and doesn't sparkle or throw off rainbows.

Any thoughts/feedback?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Earth grown vs lab grown: not even gemologists can tell the difference without deeper analysis.
Unless there are defects present in the lab grown diamond, such as blue nuance and whatnot...but even then, a natural diamond can also by a Type IIb, as one example.
Moissanite is visually distinguishable since they're double refraction vs diamonds having single refraction.

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the info. I did a search and there are a lot of lab diamonds by Adiamor. They seem to be less expensive than other vendors like Distinctive Gems. Would you recommend them? Appreciate your feedback.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the info. I did a search and there are a lot of lab diamonds by Adiamor. They seem to be less expensive than other vendors like Distinctive Gems. Would you recommend them? Appreciate your feedback.

Depends on what you're after.
Jon at Distinctive Gem has a lineup of diamonds that he personally vets and also has an upgrade program for most of them.
Adiamor is a PS vetted vendor.
Frank Darling and Ritani get quite some praise.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd recommend Adiamor, though I think Ritani and Frank Darling usually beat them on prices, at least in the last month or so.

We can definitely help you find the best deal for a 1.5ct lab-grown. These two, for example, should be quite sparkly and look identical to natural.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
My goal is to replace my natural diamond because the cut is somewhat deep and so looks a bit small for a 1.50 and doesn't sparkle or throw off rainbows

Is your main priority getting rainbows, or having a (lab-grown) diamond?

Technically speaking, if your goal is rainbows, then moissanites tend to throw more fire because they have a higher refractive index = more rainbows than a diamond.

And they are doubly refractive = so one entering light beam get split into two exiting beams (more sparkle!) (Vs diamond is single refractive).

I can see the difference between moissanites (warmer, more rainbowy) and diamonds (crisper faceting, more white and contrasty sparkles than rainbows). Both are beautiful, just depends on personal preferences! I lean toward LGD because I like the crisp facets, and the double refractivity of the moissanites I think explains why the moissanites don't have that same crispness to me.

Nikksyny

Rough_Rock
I would say I would like something more sparkly mainly...some rainbows. I know the diamond was cut too deep because I'm looking at the measurements on the appraisal. Strange enough there is an EGL report noted which I don't remember receiving. (The diamond was bought in 2011 though and the store isn't there anymore) and I looked up the number on the EGL website and it says it doesn't exist. We got the ring re-appraised 2 years ago and it notes the same EGL number. I'm a little concerned now. I'm going to call them in the morning.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want rainbows go with moissanite. I think lab diamonds will be less expensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results