shape
carat
color
clarity

Lightbox Earrings Project Delimma

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I've been debating whether to reset the Lightbox 0.88ct diamonds into a pair of studs. Here is my delimma and this feels like a first world problem, as most PS delimmas are!

I was allergic to most settings, however lately it seems like I am not allergic to 18kt yellow gold or platinum settings. I prefer to get platinum settings for diamond studs vs. yellow gold. I need to wear my platinum studs a bit more to confirm.

Originally, I was considering 3tcw (1.5ct each) because I like that size and presence.
DH expressed that I should wait to have him buy the studs for me, and that he may buy earth mined diamonds for a special milestone occasion.

I'm concerned about wearing large, earth diamonds as earrings as I lose most earrings. I figured if I lost the Lightbox studs it wouldn't be as big of a deal, recognizing they are still not cheap as they would be about $2K after resetting with platinum. I would be compromising on size to balance value, but I think each 0.88ct would face up similarly to a 1ct.

I don't think DH would go through the steps of buying the Lightbox diamond pendants and getting them reset, he'd rather just buy finished goods. I was thinking of doing this project myself as a "I love myself" gift, but I think DH likes to be the one to spoil me when it comes to diamonds. My BFF and others also prefer to let their DHs buy the sparklies.

Thoughts on my delimma?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the real thing if that’s what you want and your dh seems to want to make that dream come true. As far as losing them there are secure settings that would make that unlikely. And iirc lab diamonds aren’t cheap. Go for what you really want and enjoy them.

Oh and shop with your dh for the stones and then you can choose the setting you want.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took my dh’s jewelry buying privileges away out of love. lol.

Now he admires my jewelry that I buy myself. He’s impressed with the items he has “gifted” me.

Now he just asks, “what did I buy for your birthday” and I show him and tell him all about it.

M

Marriedbuteloped

I took my dh’s jewelry buying privileges away out of love. lol.

Now he admires my jewelry that I buy myself. He’s impressed with the items he has “gifted” me.

Now he just asks, “what did I buy for your birthday” and I show him and tell him all about it.

This is the solution!!! I did the same with a step in between. I give the item to one of my daughter's and they give it to him to give back to me. And we don't talk directly about the purchase.

The bad part is that it took us several years early in the marriage to accept the "system" and there were hurt feelings (his) about returned items. He tried to get sneaky for a while in between when he claimed he had lost the receipt or included gift receipts. I put a stop to that as well. Btw it applies to almost all gifts he "gives" me.

@MRBXXXFVVS1 Do what feels the best for you. I agree it is nice to get unseen gifts from the husband but you are the one who has to be happy with them.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I should probably wait for DH to buy the earrings. I am just scared of losing them, don't want to wait for a milestone occasion, and have a hard time justifying $25k for the earth mined vs. $2k for smaller Lightbox diamonds. I studied a few sizes and 0.88ct looks similar to 1.0ct, which is probably big enough for earrings.

Part of me thinks $25k is too much money to spend on jewelry that is not an engagement ring. That money could be spent on a nice vacation or 2, donated to a worthy cause, or just not spent. Maybe I am trying to justify the Lightbox earrings, I do think it would be a fun project.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
How much would the mined diamond earrings cost? How long would you have to wait for this special occasion to manifest? So many variables.

I think DH likes to be the one to spoil me when it comes to diamonds.

I get that. But if it’s going to cost significantly more to do it his way, I would take that into consideration. I’ve had to ban my husband from Tiffany for this reason. I appreciate the thought, but I don’t want to be spoiled at the cost of sensibility.

edit: I was typing this out as these questions were being answered by the op.

Part of me thinks $25k is too much money to spend on jewelry that is not an engagement ring. That money could be spent on a nice vacation or 2, donated to a worthy cause, or just not spent. Maybe I am trying to justify the Lightbox earrings, I do think it would be a fun project.

I think you have your answer. You can have your fun project AND hubby can spoil you both with a trip.

M

Marriedbuteloped

My rule for jewelry purchases is:

MMDs for new jewelry
Mined for used, pre=owned jewelry.

My reasoning is: price and sustainability.

Somewhere in there is plenty of space for sentiment and love :)

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
@Marriedbuteloped Lately I've been thinking a lot about the environment and sustainability as well. As much as I love the history of an earth mined diamond, I do worry about the environmental impact of mining. Lab diamonds unfortunately also have a large carbon footprint due to the amount of energy required to make the diamonds.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice. I should probably wait for DH to buy the earrings. I am just scared of losing them, don't want to wait for a milestone occasion, and have a hard time justifying $25k for the earth mined vs. $2k for smaller Lightbox diamonds. I studied a few sizes and 0.88ct looks similar to 1.0ct, which is probably big enough for earrings.

I agree, I would have trouble with 25k earrings, even if I wore them every day.

I’m dipping a toe into the lab Diamonds by having David Klass use them as 3mm stones halo (10 of them ) around my yellow sapphire. He has the sapphire now but I don’t know when the ring will be ready.

M

Marriedbuteloped

@Marriedbuteloped Lately I've been thinking a lot about the environment and sustainability as well. As much as I love the history of an earth mined diamond, I do worry about the environmental impact of mining. Lab diamonds unfortunately also have a large carbon footprint due to the amount of energy required to make the diamonds.

I hear you and feel the same way. I do think buying jewelry used is a good compromise, at least for me. And it's not that I buy mmd diamonds all the time either. A careful picked piece is can be justified I think.

Good luck with your project. Please share when you are done.

Ada Diamonds CEO

Rough_Rock
Trade

FWIW, growers today use about 250kWh of electricity to grow a 1 carat diamond. That's the same amount of electricity that the average US household uses in 9 days.

Lightbox is probably well below that number, as they have the largest reactors in the industry.

Using data from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), here’s the approximate carbon emissions required to grow a 1 carat diamond by source of the power:
  • Coal - 205kg
  • Natural Gas - 122kg
  • Solar - 12kg
  • Hydropower - 6kg
  • Wind - 3kg
The above is not the full story on lab diamonds' carbon footprint. There are many applications of lab diamonds beyond gemstones that improve the sustainability, durability, and efficiency of modern society. In other words, the lab diamond industry increasingly reduce humanity's carbon footprint.

I gave a talk at GIA's last Symposium to review a few of my favorite applications of lab diamonds. Might pique your interest :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm inclined to agree with the thoughts mentioned earlier - $25k is a huge sum of money to be wearing on one's ears and I don't think I would feel comfortable with that myself.

I know this is PS :lol: and such a thing is not uncommon, but the $23k difference could be used in so many more ways than just something luxury and pretty, as you note.

Perhaps you could make the LB earrings your own project and then DH could get you some Mined earrings for special occasions, maybe in another cut - maybe some pear drops or similar :)

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
For 2gs I’d get real diamonds. Albeit, on the smaller side, for now. Then upgrade! I love that your husband likes to spoil you. So sweet. Pick out studs together? My fiancé is far more practical and would do other things for me than spend money on jewelry. And the thought of a man picking out my diamonds- as most do not spend ANY TIME on PS- gives me an allergic reaction.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the MMD for the same reason you use. $25,000 is a lot of money! I got 4 cttw moissanite earrings for that reason. No one can tell, I’m happy, hubby is happy. If I lose one I buy another. I would rather have more jewelry or a nice vacation. Btw, only mined diamonds for rings for me.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I talked to DH about this project, and may go see some of the Lightbox diamonds in person at retail stores. Part of this project is to have a larger pair of diamond studs, but another part of me thinks it will be a fun journey!

I'm considering unmounting and sending either 1 or both of the diamonds to the GIA for grading, because I'm curious and a diamond nerd. I know that the grade won't change anything, so is it a waste of money? It will likely be $78/diamond. I'll only buy the diamonds if I like the way they look in person! I could just grade one of them, but am also curious on the consistency, proportions (HCA score), and specs (although GIA only provides ranges instead of exact specs for lab diamonds).

Does anyone have any recommendations on 4-prong platinum settings with a secure back (not screw backs) as well as a jeweler to set? How much should I expect the actual setting and labor cost to be? Estimating $400-600 for both?

Miss_LK

Rough_Rock
I talked to DH about this project, and may go see some of the Lightbox diamonds in person at retail stores. Part of this project is to have a larger pair of diamond studs, but another part of me thinks it will be a fun journey!

I'm considering unmounting and sending either 1 or both of the diamonds to the GIA for grading, because I'm curious and a diamond nerd. I know that the grade won't change anything, so is it a waste of money? It will likely be $78/diamond. I'll only buy the diamonds if I like the way they look in person! I could just grade one of them, but am also curious on the consistency, proportions (HCA score), and specs (although GIA only provides ranges instead of exact specs for lab diamonds).

Does anyone have any recommendations on 4-prong platinum settings with a secure back (not screw backs) as well as a jeweler to set? How much should I expect the actual setting and labor cost to be? Estimating $400-600 for both?

It would be interesting to see how they're graded. I'd recommend also considering GCAL to grade. I think they might be willing to give you a more comprehensive diamond report as opposed to GIA. Definitely worth reaching out to both to see what they'd do for you, if you do choose to send them in for grading.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results