shape
carat
color
clarity

Light Return Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Would you say that more of a contrast between white light and colored light return produces a better affect or equally high levels for both?

My new Jubilee, in certain lights reflects back like a mirror. The whole thing just lights up like a flashlight. But there''s something to be said for a diamond with more contrast. You would be able to see individual flashes much more easily.

Which do you prefer?

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone? Beuller?

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Funny, in the original Jubilee post, i asked Rhino if the Juby would have smaller glittery sparkles or larger chunky flashes (like the difference in the way a round & princess cut sparkles). Not sure if that's what you mean?

I, personally, like the smaller sparkles- to me it (my princess) looks like rainbow glitter in a snow globe... except in direct sunlight it flashes in small bursts of white & color.

Here's another question - how far away can someone see the light flashes? This wknd, someone about 10 ft away from me said she could see my ring throwin off rainbows...
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting... How big is the rock?

I think that, in larger sizes, the Jubilee will be more big flashes. But I was a little caught off guard by what I saw when I received it.

When looking at Maul Princess stones, they were mostly dark-ish, with reflections that resembled a 4th of July sparkler.

When I got my Jubilee, while you could see sparkles, sometimes, the whole face just reflected back light. Sometimes, it appears to be glowing in the dark (similar to a recent thread). That's when I starting thinking, is more noticible to have a greater contrast, than total light return?

Oh and BTW, I looked back at the original Jubilee post and alexah's original question was never really addressed.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
My princess is 2.55 - i wonder if the size of the stone somehow factors into the distance light flashes can be seen...?

The maul stones you saw most likely had sketchy cuts/large tables... Mine's not dark & i find the colored light return more pronounced than the white but maybe it simply catches my eye more? 4th of July sparkler? maybe
21.gif
but only if it sparks in colors...

Thanks for looking bk to the original post, VH
1.gif
I think Rhino's computer was on the blink so he didn't get to answer all the questions?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
VH, according to the B-scope on my stone, it is pretty evenly balanced between white and colored light return. I find that the lighting it is viewed in is VERY influential in what I see in my stone. Direct light=high huge flashes of color. Ambient light=more white flashes and more of an overall white appearance with the contrast of the arrows in the bottom (when you look down in stone) really popping out more. Does that make any sense to you? If so, does it answer your question? Anyone else find it difficult to describe their diamond (what you see when you look at it) to others, or am I just inept? LOL

Shay

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Shay, same Q as alexah... what size if your rock?

I ask, b/c I think that as the diamond gets bigger, the facets are proportionately larger as well and I think they will carry the light a little farther. But that's just my theory.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure I understand what you mean VH, but at least one brand cuts more facets on larger stones than it does on the small to keep the "look" consistent. I suppose that the size of facets are considered key for the sum total look of he stone by those guys.

Simmilarly, step cuts get a bad name since they produce larger flashes of light instead of the "overall" sparkle of the brilliant cuts that you describe.

As for "from what distance will they see the ring". Honestly, it's hard to tell from 5 meters away wether someone wears a ring at all, no matter what that is. And no, my eyesight is not that bad... The "sparkle from accross the room" is most likely a word of wisedom more than description of a visual impression.

That stone of yours is defintely BIG enough
2.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
I'm hoping it is too, but wouldn't it stand to reason that the a single facet on a 57 facet 3ct RB is going to be larger that the same facet on a 57 facet 1ct RB given that all the other specs are identical? Then wouldn't the 'flash' that comes from the larger rock be more noticible?

It would be like the reflection from a compact mirror, verses the reflection of a wall mirror to signal a plane?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
VH, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My ring is a .76 ct. SC (yes I went branded) I don't regret that either. I may have paid a bit of a premium over an unbranded H&A online; but where I live, I couldn't have bought this stone for what I paid for the whole ring. Now I need to have someone put on or hold my ring and have them move away from me and see how far away I can still notice the flashes. (an experiment if you will) Will post to this thread the results of my search.

Shay

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Let me make a public announcement that I have nothing against branded cuts. I bought one myself!

But certainly when talking about RBs, I'm a firm believer in non-branded ones. Plus, I should say that I dont' really consider SC a [big] brand. I consider SC a great buy when compared to something like HoF RB.

I am looking forward to hearing the results of your experiment. Perhaps I shall try one of my own. Of course, it depends on where you conduct it too. Good luck!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay, VH, step one of the "experiment" was conducted last night at about midnight. Started in kitchen. Ceiling fan with two regular 60 watt lightbulbs. It sort of diffuses because of the globes that all but cover the lights. Had DH put ring to almost first knuckle of his pinky (he was so not feeling the love)and begin to back away from me. I had the dining room chandelier on as well. With the kitchen as primary source of light, the ring had a great deal of brilliance. Lots of white flashes. (no, Honey, wiggle it more like this..there's a good boy)
rolleyes.gif
At about eight feet away, with the chandelier behind, and the kitchen light fading, the diamond did not have flashes, just a white appearance. At about nine feet away, the chandelier came into play (think stadium) and the HUGE flashes of color began to leap about. Easily visible as far away from me as he could get at that angle (about 15 feet). I was pleased and a little surprised by the result. Like you, I had thought that a smaller diamond would not have bigger flashes. But, I have to say, that the color flashes were bigger than the white flashes. Of course, that lines up with the B-scope. Pegged VH3 for colored, VH2 for white, VH2 for scintillation. Can't wait to hear your results.
9.gif
Today I may enlist my four year old son for a daytime "experiment." Hopefully this will give a balanced view to my decidedly unscientific "experimenting."
read.gif

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay, VH, step one of the "experiment" was conducted last night at about midnight. Started in kitchen. Ceiling fan with two regular 60 watt lightbulbs. It sort of diffuses because of the globes that all but cover the lights. Had DH put ring to almost first knuckle of his pinky (he was so not feeling the love)and begin to back away from me. I had the dining room chandelier on as well. With the kitchen as primary source of light, the ring had a great deal of brilliance. Lots of white flashes. (no, Honey, wiggle it more like this..there's a good boy)
rolleyes.gif
At about eight feet away, with the chandelier behind, and the kitchen light fading, the diamond did not have flashes, just a white appearance. At about nine feet away, the chandelier came into play (think stadium) and the HUGE flashes of color began to leap about. Easily visible as far away from me as he could get at that angle (about 15 feet). I was pleased and a little surprised by the result. Like you, I had thought that a smaller diamond would not have bigger flashes. But, I have to say, that the color flashes were bigger than the white flashes. Of course, that lines up with the B-scope. Pegged VH3 for colored, VH2 for white, VH2 for scintillation. Can't wait to hear your results.
9.gif
Today I may enlist my four year old son for a daytime "experiment." Hopefully this will give a balanced view to my decidedly unscientific "experimenting."
read.gif

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Sorry double post. Darn kids.

Shay

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
That's so cool Shay - thanks so much for conducting that experiment! I'd no idea that flashes would be so noticable from such a distance... would luv to hear what happens in bright daylight
naughty.gif

limey

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/14/2004 11:56:14 AM Shay37 wrote:
(no, Honey, wiggle it more like this..there's a good boy)----------------

Can I use that in my PS sig file?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crazy !!!!!
9.gif

but cute
5.gif

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
MMM-
I think your logic is correct because when I compare the size of the flashes/colored light coming from my .50ct to my 2.40ct. there is clearly a difference in the size of the flash. And I prefer the big broad flashes of colored light, almost don't care about white light. I like my rainbows big and intense. That's what I appreciate about the 8* and some of the chunkier cut arrows on some AGS0 stones. Big, bold, chunky flashes of colored light.
lickout.gif

Luv

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Andrew, you certainly may.

Shay

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Shay,

Great experiment! I'm so pleased by your results! Aren't we a bunch of nerds?
1.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Yes, VH, we are. Isn't it great?
9.gif
If I come up with any other crazy experiments, I'll post about the results.

Shay

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
For anybody interested, also check these back threads for additional discussion on internal contrast and light return.

Thread #1

Thread #2

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay, VH, here goes. I was cleaning my kitchen tonight. (later than usual) I always leave my ring on the counter, well away from the sink. As I was walking around, a flash caught my eye. Sure enough it was my ring just twinkling away on the counter as I moved around the kitchen. I ran to get my digital camera in the hopes that I could get a pic of what I was seeing. The kitchen has two 60 watts remember. The counter in that corner is unbearably dark. I did not use a flash, and these were taken about 11:20 p.m. I was standing between 8 to 10 feet away and just used the normal settings on the camera. (no closeups or anything) Also the lights are not pointing in the direction of my ring. This is so weird, because I would not expect to see this amount of fire in these conditions. Oh, well. Pics to follow. (forgot to include before writing post) Ayyyy, it's late.
9.gif
What do you expect. Mad scientist at work.
read.gif

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Here is the first one. Hope you can see what I am talking about.

Shay

counter1.jpg

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
This is the only other one that came out.

Shay

counter2.jpg

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Hurrah! So Cool!

Just goes to show... a great cut is certainly the most important "C"!

Shay, now post a pic (or a link to thread) of your ring!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay will try to post a link to my ring. Also my avatar has been updated to be my ring. My SuperbCert Some of the pics didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but I think you get the idea.

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Just one more to show how large a well cut diamond can look. Keep in mind that my fingers are slender. (size 4 3/4) Still, it is a .76 ct. I think it looks much larger.

Shay

hall2.jpg

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
And we should re-iterate that the kitchen brilliance photo experiement was done WITHOUT a flash!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is GORGEOUS, Shay! I absolutely love it! I can't believe the carat size is accurate! It definitely looks more like a 1-1.5 ct.
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results