shape
carat
color
clarity

Light Performance Evaluation/Valuation Advice: 1.36 ct D, IF

quine

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

This is my first post - just got into the market for an engagement ring, and I was hoping for some feedback on a particular diamond. I am looking for a diamond between 1.2 and 1.5 ct for a size 4 solitaire, and "perfect" color/cut/clarity are important to me (I have seen from several threads that PS tends to prefer maximizing size for small compromises in color and clarity, but I think my SO will enjoy knowing she has something "perfect"... at 10x magnification, lol).

I'm posting this thread to solicit feedback on a diamond I recently purchased. There's a no-questions free return period, and I wanted some help evaluating the ASET and Idealscope images, as well as thoughts on pricing.

ZECIwXo.png

wn03aZr.jpg

ZxzycTS.jpg

eOVlWJ6.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks great to me! I am one of the people who thinks maximizing size rather than invisible stuff (like D color, IF clarity), but if your SO would appreciate it then go for it! If that's your criteria, then this one looks promising. Is there any chance you'd want to upgrade in the future? That matters as well for recommendations. but if you don't plan to upgrade and you need a D/IF, this looks pretty great.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS, there might be some leakage between 7-8 o'clock, but not sure if that's just over bright backlighting.

quine

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the feedback so far! It is a little on the deep side, but I can't tell how much of an effect that is having on the light performance. It does seem like it falls within the AGS "Ideal" range using the HCA tool, in any case.

Also, while I wanted to withhold the price so as to avoid tainting the responses, it's probably going to help to just put it out there - this one was ~15k. While the offerings by WF and BG look spectacular, I don't think they look twice-the-price spectacular (though I'm sure opinions vary).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the feedback so far! It is a little on the deep side, but I can't tell how much of an effect that is having on the light performance. It does seem like it falls within the AGS "Ideal" range using the HCA tool, in any case.

Also, while I wanted to withhold the price so as to avoid tainting the responses, it's probably going to help to just put it out there - this one was ~15k. While the offerings by WF and BG look spectacular, I don't think they look twice-the-price spectacular (though I'm sure opinions vary).

I think it will affect performance at least a little bit. If you want "the best", then I honestly think you should go with a super ideal. Even if that means D/E and VVS. Again, not trying to tell you that you're wrong, but just something to think about. The .97 I linked is 15K, but not IF--it's VVS.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think it will affect performance at least a little bit. If you want "the best", then I honestly think you should go with a super ideal. Even if that means D/E and VVS. Again, not trying to tell you that you're wrong, but just something to think about. The .97 I linked is 15K, but not IF--it's VVS.

Yup ... cut is king ... if the cut is not “the best,” then the diamond is not “the best,” no matter how D and flawless it is.

quine

Rough_Rock
I guess the question is - can I get a better cut for this carat/color/clarity at 15 or even 20k?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
PS, there might be some leakage between 7-8 o'clock, but not sure if that's just over bright backlighting.
Some of it is back light but there is some variation in the mains and lowers.
Not enough to call them twisted.
Not enough to really hurt anything to a huge degree, its not a uper ideal but that is not what the op is looking to get at the higher price point.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP you got yourself one pretty spectacular and very special diamond! While having a super-ideal with the desired specs might have been even more exclusive, the price difference is hardly worth it. Don’t second guess your choice.

Last edited:

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also think that it’s a stunning diamond and not worth extra 5 thousands to spend for a minor difference . In a worst case scenario , if you ever regret or notice a huge diffence in performance, you can slightly recut the diamond to ideal proportions for 500-700$ with minimal weigh loss . I am not a professional ,just a sparkly lover :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP you got yourself one pretty spectacular and very special diamond! While having a super-ideal with the desired specs might have been even more exclusive, the price difference is hardly worth it. Don’t second guess your choice.
Good point. If D/IF is what your SO wants, you found a great one.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I remain with the impression that IF diamonds turn into 'VVS potentially IF'.

VS1?

I am thinking about clarity as you are about cut - taking it with a grain of salt.

'D' is enough of an exaggeration & does not change.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a very well cut diamond. No doubt about that. If your believe that your future fiancé will appreciate the sentimentality associated with the "perfect" diamond, then I think it is an excellent choice. And regarding the fact that it's not a "SuperIdeal," well, let's just say that a viewer would probably have just as hard of a time differentiating this well cut diamond from a SuperIdeal as they would differentiating a VS1 from an IF. ;-) Meaning, a really hard time.

You're losing a bit of face-up size in the slightly thick (4.0%) girdle, but it's such a small amount that it should not be of any concern. And it's still over that 7mm mark, which is nice if you like hitting those numbers. If the price is right for this diamond, go for it. :)

And no way in hell I would pay an extra $15k for a SuperIdeal D/IF like that example from WhiteFlash. Whatever minuscule difference in performance there may be, it is certainly not worth $15k. ;-)

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
That diamond shows up for sale twice by one vendor, once at $15K and once at $16K (error in the report number for same diamond), and it’s showing as “not available” on the JA site at $18K ... so if the OP was going to buy it, I hope he’s the one that got it and that he paid $15 and not $18K.

Looking at the search function ... I can’t figure out why some diamonds are priced so much differently than others. I’m always wondering why such huge fluctuations. Oh well.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean yeah, it's awesome - but it's literally twice as expensive! lol. I need to save some money for the setting and, you know, groceries.

What?!? You want to be able to eat you say??? One must learn to make sacrifices!:lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I remain with the impression that IF diamonds turn into 'VVS potentially IF'.

VS1?

I am thinking about clarity as you are about cut - taking it with a grain of salt.

'D' is enough of an exaggeration & does not change.

Unless they are damaged an IF diamonds clarity isn't going to change.
A Fl diamond can turn into an IF very easily however.

quine

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone!

That diamond shows up for sale twice by one vendor, once at $15K and once at $16K (error in the report number for same diamond), and it’s showing as “not available” on the JA site at $18K ... so if the OP was going to buy it, I hope he’s the one that got it and that he paid $15 and not $18K.

Looking at the search function ... I can’t figure out why some diamonds are priced so much differently than others. I’m always wondering why such huge fluctuations. Oh well.

This was my concern. My budget on this was ideally under $20k, and most of the diamonds I was looking at between 1.3 and 1.5cts were between 19 and 22k for these specs (RB, D, IF, XXX, Faint/No Flouro, etc.). I'm happy to say I did manage to get this for the lowest price between the vendors offering it, which was a little over $15k. I am apprehensive, however, because I still cannot figure out why this one was significantly cheaper than all of the others I looked at. I figured it must be the cut, but the cut seems solid, as far as I can tell, and it sounds like you guys agree. I thought it might also be the "faint" flouro, but I doubt anyone is discounting faint fluorescence by 25%. Maybe I just got lucky!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone!

This was my concern. My budget on this was ideally under $20k, and most of the diamonds I was looking at between 1.3 and 1.5cts were between 19 and 22k for these specs (RB, D, IF, XXX, Faint/No Flouro, etc.). I'm happy to say I did manage to get this for the lowest price between the vendors offering it, which was a little over $15k. I am apprehensive, however, because I still cannot figure out why this one was significantly cheaper than all of the others I looked at. I figured it must be the cut, but the cut seems solid, as far as I can tell, and it sounds like you guys agree. I thought it might also be the "faint" flouro, but I doubt anyone is discounting faint fluorescence by 25%. Maybe I just got lucky!

I’m glad that you’re the one that scooped it! And I hope that this mystery remains unsolved, lol. Please keep us posted with lots of pictures! Congrats & good luck!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My fav color and clarity!! I agree with KarlK--good pick!

Wonderful you have your cake and eat it too.:))

cheers--Sharon

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It looks pretty darn perfect to me! —except that I would rather get a VVS /F since I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between that and a D /IF (even with a loupe- VVS is so clean!)— but I would DEFINITELY be able to see a difference in size !!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results