shape
carat
color
clarity

Light leakage in arrow shafts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
In this ideal scope image of 2 diamonds, which one has better light return? I tried to use the same lighting for both pictures. The differences I see are:

- See blue arrows: A has small amount of leakage near the pointed parts of 5 shafts. B has more significant leakage near the pointed parts of 3 shafts.

- Near the perimeters of the circles, A seems to have more uniform leakage whereas B has more variation in the white shapes.

Light-IdealScopeAB.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here is an H&A arrows picture of the same 2 diamonds. Question here is, are the 3 darker arrows in B at all related to the light leakage from the ideal scope image? I tried to take many different shots of B but they all came out with a slight shade in some arrows.

Light-ArrowsAB.JPG

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those little bits of leakage are normal. What concerns me more in the ideal scope images are the very pale reds on the upper halves (between the blue arrows). In DiamXray analysis that is what results when upper halves are cut too steep. All reflector based photography however does not reveal the same gemological results so it may or may not be an issue. You would know for sure if you knew the upper half angle measurements.

Regards,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silverbuggy, have you decided yet?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
It seems you have these stones with you in person?
Honestly, if thats the case your EYES are much more useful now than any image or opinion on said image from PS'ers..
Really, you should just decide which is prettier to your eye - if they're the same, choose the bigger one
2.gif

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Nope I haven''t decided yet! I''m having trouble deciding! I''ve been looking at them side by side outside and inside for the last couple days. PSers told me they would have different personalities (left more brilliance, right more fire), but I can''t really tell! And I thought the arrows would be different widths (fatter/skinnier), but I can''t really tell the difference there either from pictures.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 4:06:51 AM
Author: silverbuggy
Nope I haven''t decided yet! I''m having trouble deciding! I''ve been looking at them side by side outside and inside for the last couple days. PSers told me they would have different personalities (left more brilliance, right more fire), but I can''t really tell! And I thought the arrows would be different widths (fatter/skinnier), but I can''t really tell the difference there either from pictures.
Do you find you look at one more than the other? Have you given them both a good test drive in different lights?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the in low/spot lighting, like in bars and restuarants. Also, stores with high ceiling fluorescent lighting like grocery stores, department stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) will really let them strut their stuff. Then see if one looks better than the other. If not, pick the cheapest.
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/12/2009 8:45:50 PM
Author: Rhino
Those little bits of leakage are normal. What concerns me more in the ideal scope images are the very pale reds on the upper halves (between the blue arrows). In DiamXray analysis that is what results when upper halves are cut too steep. All reflector based photography however does not reveal the same gemological results so it may or may not be an issue. You would know for sure if you knew the upper half angle measurements.

Regards,
This is not an issue.
The ideal-scope has been raised a little too high.
It is a camera / focal length issue.
The stones are both great keepers.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/13/2009 11:44:49 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 3/12/2009 8:45:50 PM
Author: Rhino

Regards,
This is not an issue.
The ideal-scope has been raised a little too high.
It is a camera / focal length issue.
The stones are both great keepers.
I understand its not easy to judge photographic setups from person to person. You''re probably right. The amount of reflections of white in the H&A viewer are also different from what I am accustomed to seeing as well.

Hope all is well in Oz.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results