shape
carat
color
clarity

Lifetime Care Plan on Scott Kay setting from Helzberg

NewKidNeedsBling

Rough_Rock
So I found the setting that I want to go with, a twist pave, cushion halo made by Scott Kay and sold by Helzberg. (see link below) I previously asked if it would make sense to get this custom made, and the consensus was that a designer made setting would almost always be better constructed to stand daily wear.
1 - Are Scott Kays, as opposed to any other "designer", considered well-made?
2 - Another option would be to have a custom made setting by ERD/Brilliantly Engaged for $2,250 in 18k as opposed to $2,000 in 14k for this one - thoughts there?
3 - If I do go with this setting, do you recommend I get the lifetime care plan for $179 (on a $1,995 setting)? It covers:

- any parts/labors for repairs --> would insurance from JM cover this anyways?
- lost or damaged stones -> again would insurance cover this? Or is this not even a big deal (i.e. $$$) for super tiny stones?
- Sizing - > don't think this is necessary since I am getting right size first time around

Setting:
http://www.helzberg.com/product/scott+kay+semi+mount+1988579.do?sortby=ourPicks

Full details on plan:
http://www.helzberg.com/category/customer+service/lifetime+care+plan.do

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't pay for the extra insurance, if you covered by JM. In past experience, that always leads to more headaches.

I will just ask if she has tried on that setting before? It sits very high. If you get it custom made (and she hasn't tried it on), I might suggest asking for it to sit a little lower.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember that most "lifetime care" depends on going in every six months for inspection, which over the course of a "lifetime" becomes a pain in the neck. If you miss your six month check up and you lose a stone, you may not be covered. That's what insurance is for.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd buy the Scott Kay but have them order it in 18k white gold or platinum. No point in having something custom made when the exact ring you want is available. Scott Kay is a good brand and many jewelers carry it aside from Helzberg. But do you have the diamond already? Because you should always buy the diamond first and then the setting.

I would skip store insurance like that and only carry full coverage such as JM. But I would never make a small claim such as a lost melee diamond. Pay for minor repairs outright. You risk making your premiums increase or even losing the insurance if you make a lot of little claims. The insurance is really to replace the ring if it is lost, stolen, or the stone cracks, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results