shape
carat
color
clarity

liberals...your honest opinion on Obama...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Politico:

The young people I see in my classes suddenly seem a bit embarrassed that they voted overwhelmingly for Obama. My observation is that rank and file Republicans are motivated again. They''ve stopped moping around saying, "My party needs a time out" and saying instead, "Us? What about them!" In just two months President Obama has more or less reached the point it took President Bush two years to reach after 9/11 - a lot of goodwill, a lot of hope that he will succeed - but a growing anxiety that he''s going the wrong direction. As we saw with Bush, the numbers can change fast. Like Bush, Obama has embarked on a high risk presidency of grandiose schemes. Such a presidency can soar, and it can also fall fast.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 10:08:00 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 3/21/2009 9:27:29 PM
Author: starsapphire
From past discussions on this forum, I think it is utterly futile to even ask this question.
20.gif
i''ll ask the same Q three yrs from now,by that time we''ll be face with hyper inflation.
DF- I know it''s coming, and it scares the crap out of me! We can only print money for so long before it''s worth absolutely nothing.
38.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 5:29:25 PM
Author: HollyS
Date: 3/21/2009 5:01:59 PM

Author: klewis

Date: 3/20/2009 11:10:34 PM

Author: movie zombie

not emotionally involved, never said he was better than koolaid, held my nose when i voted for him realizing that we the voters only get to vote for candidates that ''the powers that be'' have decided they can live with....yes, i''m that jaded: and, yes, i''d hold my nose and vote for him again. am i happy 100% with him after all of 60 days? no, and i never expected to be. but then i wasn''t 1% happy with the previous administration after 8 years.

mz

Sorry you had to hold your nose MZ but thank you, thank you, thank you for doing so! - many millions around the world had been holding their noses for 8 years so President Obama is a breath of fresh air. I hope he succeeds.

I''m getting kind of tired of having to say this, but it really isn''t your place to comment. It never was. I don''t really care how many support letters you''ll get in response to my post; your opinion still doesn''t matter when we discuss U.S. politics. It doesn''t. Really. I wouldn''t dream of commenting on your nation''s politics. It would be rude.

There. I''ve said my piece; let the Welcome Wagon do its thing. As it invariably will. Because we''re nothing if not trite here on ATW.
Are you saying non-Americans are not welcome to post their opinions on American politics? That''s like denying American politics has an affect on the rest of the world.

I''m Irish. Now you know. So you can just skip past my future posts without having to waste time reading them.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 9:30:25 AM
Author: Porridge

not emotionally involved, never said he was better than koolaid, held my nose when i voted for him realizing that we the voters only get to vote for candidates that ''the powers that be'' have decided they can live with....yes, i''m that jaded: and, yes, i''d hold my nose and vote for him again. am i happy 100% with him after all of 60 days? no, and i never expected to be. but then i wasn''t 1% happy with the previous administration after 8 years.

mz

Sorry you had to hold your nose MZ but thank you, thank you, thank you for doing so! - many millions around the world had been holding their noses for 8 years so President Obama is a breath of fresh air. I hope he succeeds.

I''m getting kind of tired of having to say this, but it really isn''t your place to comment. It never was. I don''t really care how many support letters you''ll get in response to my post; your opinion still doesn''t matter when we discuss U.S. politics. It doesn''t. Really. I wouldn''t dream of commenting on your nation''s politics. It would be rude.

There. I''ve said my piece; let the Welcome Wagon do its thing. As it invariably will. Because we''re nothing if not trite here on ATW.

Are you saying non-Americans are not welcome to post their opinions on American politics? That''s like denying American politics has an affect on the rest of the world.

I''m Irish. Now you know. So you can just skip past my future posts without having to waste time reading them.

I was just thinking the same. When these policies have an affect on the rest of the world, then I do think that people are entitled to comment.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 10:11:02 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
after 60 days as President ? do you have any buyers remorse?

Just wanted to note DF, that the most interesting thing about this thread is not necessarily the responses you receive, but the fact that you asked the question in the first place.

Do you think a liberal would start a thread here asking conservatives for opinions on our new president?
2.gif

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 9:58:54 AM
Author: bee*

mz

I was just thinking the same. When these policies have an affect on the rest of the world, then I do think that people are entitled to comment.

No American here would dream of bashing your country, its president or policies. (And I''m not saying that you have done so, Bee)

But for non-American''s to bash the US is fair game?

It''s not about the policies of this country affecting others, it''s really JUST about America bashing. (well, conservative, Republican, anything but the coming Obama-topia, that is). I believe this is what Holly feels and it''s definitely how I see it too.

So while no one is saying non-Americans don''t have the right to their opinion, and are not entitled to post them here, we have the right to say we don''t particularly care what you think. Frankly, I ''m one of those Americans who sees the rest of the world''s opinion of this country way, way down on my priority list of "issues".

Perhaps some of the non-Americans here should review the thread about immigration and reflect on why so many others nearly kill themselves to plant their feet on US soil.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 10:28:45 AM
Author: beebrisk

mz

No American here would dream of bashing your country, its president or policies. (And I''m not saying that you have done so, Bee)

It''s not about the policies of this country affecting others, it''s really JUST about America bashing. (well, conservative, Republican, anything but the coming Obama-topia, that is). I believe this is what Holly feels and it''s definitely how I see it too.

So while no one is saying non-Americans don''t have the right to their opinion, and are not entitled to post them here, we have the right to say we don''t particularly care what you think. Frankly, I ''m one of those Americans who sees the rest of the world''s opinion of this country way, way down on my priority list of ''issues''.

Perhaps some of the non-Americans here should review the thread about immigration and reflect on why so many others nearly kill themselves to plant their feet on US soil.

When did either of us bash America Beebrisk? I find it disrespectful of you to say that simply because I''m not American, you don''t care what I think.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

mz

i spent the 8 years of the prior administration depressed and nauseated....so holding my nose was actually quite easy!

mz

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

So while no one is saying non-Americans don''t have the right to their opinion, and are not entitled to post them here, we have the right to say we don''t particularly care what you think. Frankly, I ''m one of those Americans who sees the rest of the world''s opinion of this country way, way down on my priority list of ''issues''.

really?! we American''s bash away with the best of them, including me. i''m married to an Australian and i bashed Howard to pieces all the time....especially for his complicit cooperation with bush and co in hawaii when he signed away Australia''s right to get pharmaceuticals cheaper and thus undermined their medical system and moved closer to eventual privatization.

traveling through europe and into australia has given me an appreciation of just how interested people are in american politics....and how much more they understand than the average american.

mz

ps and i''m so tired of hearing the French bashed on other websites i participate on.........all-american type guys just can''t get enough of putting the french down.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Beebrisk, any member has the right to post a comment on any topic here provided they stay within the Pricescope rules and a poster telling another they have no place commenting has a humorous side because to me, given the forum, they are rather the pot calling the kettle black. If you choose not to comment on an issue because you think you have no business to then it''s your choice but if you only want Americans to comment on American politics and Icelandics only to comment on Icelandic politcs etc., then you''re going to continue to be horribly disappointed.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 3:55:59 PM
Beebrisk, any member has the right to post a comment on any topic here provided they stay within the Pricescope rules and a poster telling another they have no place commenting has a humorous side because to me, given the forum, they are rather the pot calling the kettle black. If you choose not to comment on an issue because you think you have no business to then it''s your choice but if you only want Americans to comment on American politics and Icelandics only to comment on Icelandic politcs etc., then you''re going to continue to be horribly disappointed.

Clearly you didn''t actually read my post.

I never said that non-American''s have no business here or shouldn''t comment here. Never.

What I did say however, is that I have no interest in your opinion of this country. Ever.
2.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
The tiresome overuse of the "america-bashing" whinge reminds me of some drivers you see on the road whose only thought is for their destination. They drive disregarding the road laws and are oblivious to the havoc they cause to the rest of the road users and then are surprised and become defensive when their behaviour is brought to their attention.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 12:55:28 PM

not emotionally involved, never said he was better than koolaid, held my nose when i voted for him realizing that we the voters only get to vote for candidates that 'the powers that be' have decided they can live with....yes, i'm that jaded: and, yes, i'd hold my nose and vote for him again. am i happy 100% with him after all of 60 days? no, and i never expected to be. but then i wasn't 1% happy with the previous administration after 8 years.

mz

I'm getting kind of tired of having to say this, but it really isn't your place to comment. It never was. I don't really care how many support letters you'll get in response to my post; your opinion still doesn't matter when we discuss U.S. politics. It doesn't. Really. I wouldn't dream of commenting on your nation's politics. It would be rude.

There. I've said my piece; let the Welcome Wagon do its thing. As it invariably will. Because we're nothing if not trite here on ATW.

Are you saying non-Americans are not welcome to post their opinions on American politics? That's like denying American politics has an affect on the rest of the world.

I'm Irish. Now you know. So you can just skip past my future posts without having to waste time reading them.

No American here would dream of bashing your country, its president or policies. (And I'm not saying that you have done so, Bee)

But for non-American's to bash the US is fair game?

It's not about the policies of this country affecting others, it's really JUST about America bashing. (well, conservative, Republican, anything but the coming Obama-topia, that is). I believe this is what Holly feels and it's definitely how I see it too.

So while no one is saying non-Americans don't have the right to their opinion, and are not entitled to post them here, we have the right to say we don't particularly care what you think. Frankly, I 'm one of those Americans who sees the rest of the world's opinion of this country way, way down on my priority list of 'issues'.

When did either of us bash America Beebrisk? I find it disrespectful of you to say that simply because I'm not American, you don't care what I think.

I never said either of YOU did any bashing, and I was quite clear about it. Hence "...And I'm not saying you've done so, Bee".

Sorry you find it so "offensive" that I don't care what you think of this country. But I'm honest. I don't.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 4:22:41 PM

I never said that non-American''s have no business here or shouldn''t comment here. Never.

What I did say however, is that I have no interest in your opinion of this country. Ever.
2.gif

Beebrisk, I shouldn''t have attributed what you said as being the same as what Holly said. I did read your post but not throughly enough and apologize for my mistake.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 4:28:50 PM
The tiresome overuse of the ''america-bashing'' whinge reminds me of some drivers you see on the road whose only thought is for their destination. They drive disregarding the road laws and are oblivious to the havoc they cause to the rest of the road users and then are surprised and become defensive when their behaviour is brought to their attention.

Not a great analogy, I''m afraid.

You see, America-bashing doesn''t "surprise" me in the least--either within the country or from without.

And I think it''s funny you liken the "whinge" of "America-bashing" and the disregard for other''s opinions of this country as "bad behavior". After all, I have the right and freedom to express those thoughts at any time. A pretty good gift from my country, wouldn''t you say?

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 4:58:13 PM
Date: 3/22/2009 4:22:41 PM

2.gif

Beebrisk, I shouldn''t have attributed what you said as being the same as what Holly said. I did read your post but not throughly enough and apologize for my mistake.

Thank you. Apology accepted. I appreciate the fact that you clarified. Honest.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 4:58:42 PM

The tiresome overuse of the ''america-bashing'' whinge reminds me of some drivers you see on the road whose only thought is for their destination. They drive disregarding the road laws and are oblivious to the havoc they cause to the rest of the road users and then are surprised and become defensive when their behaviour is brought to their attention.

You see, America-bashing doesn''t ''surprise'' me in the least--either within the country or from without.

And I think it''s funny you liken the ''whinge'' of ''America-bashing'' and the disregard for other''s opinions of this country as ''bad behavior''. After all, I have the right and freedom to express those thoughts at any time. A pretty good gift from my country, wouldn''t you say?
OK I think I read this one correctly ( fingers crossed)

To disregard the opinions of those whose lives are greatly impacted by your actions is most definitely bad behaviour and arrogant. If one is simply unaware of the impact ones actions has on others, then that is ignorance.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 5:50:23 PM
Author: EBree

I''m getting kind of tired of having to say this, but it really isn''t your place to comment. It never was. I don''t really care how many support letters you''ll get in response to my post; your opinion still doesn''t matter when we discuss U.S. politics. It doesn''t. Really.

Ah, the rules of AtW according to Holly. Good thing you don''t make the rules.
2.gif

klewis, you''re as welcome as any of us to share your opinion, and I hope you continue to.
35.gif
Someone here has to have a set of standards.
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 5:54:08 PM

mz

And I am getting tired of hearing it but we''ll both have to put up with it. ATW means Around the World doesn''t it?

Yes, it does. However, you don''t discuss a particular subject. You ask deliberately provocative questions, or say something - anything - to point out exactly how we as a country have ''effed up'' in your opinion. THAT is rude. Far more rude than I''m being to you, regardless of what your PS fan club thinks.

And, LOL, you can always count on the same few for the snark factor. As I said, trite.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 5:13:57 PM
Date: 3/22/2009 4:58:42 PM

You see, America-bashing doesn''t ''surprise'' me in the least--either within the country or from without.

And I think it''s funny you liken the ''whinge'' of ''America-bashing'' and the disregard for other''s opinions of this country as ''bad behavior''. After all, I have the right and freedom to express those thoughts at any time. A pretty good gift from my country, wouldn''t you say?

OK I think I read this one correctly ( fingers crossed)

To disregard the opinions of those whose lives are greatly impacted by your actions is most definitely bad behaviour and arrogant. If one is simply unaware of the impact ones actions has on others, then that is ignorance.

I didn''t say I didn''t care how we impact other countries. However, I think we have reason to feel enormously proud of how we have treated the rest of world throughout our short history. Saving it a couple of times might be just ONE teensy little reason I believe that.

But do I care that others "like" us? Nah. Not so much. Do I take to heart the opinions of non-Americans when it comes to how this country should "behave"? Meh. No.

And speaking of....President Hope-n-Change sure is meeting his goal in changing world opinion isn''t he?:

"He (Obama) goes and accuses me of exporting terrorism: the least I can say is that he''s a poor ignoramus; he should read and study a little to understand reality"- Hugo Chavez

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 4:31:03 PM

I never said either of YOU did any bashing, and I was quite clear about it. Hence ''...And I''m not saying you''ve done so, Bee''.

Sorry you find it so ''offensive'' that I don''t care what you think of this country. But I''m honest. I don''t.

My name is Porridge.

I said "disrespectful". Not offensive. I''ve read enough of your posts to know better than to take offense to what you say. And also to honestly not care anymore.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 6:03:53 PM

I never said either of YOU did any bashing, and I was quite clear about it. Hence '...And I'm not saying you've done so, Bee'.

Sorry you find it so 'offensive' that I don't care what you think of this country. But I'm honest. I don't.

My name is Porridge.

I said 'disrespectful'. Not offensive. I've read enough of your posts to know better than to take offense to what you say. And also to honestly not care anymore.

Okay, "disrespectful". You're right. My bad.

Sorry you find it "disrespectful" that I don't care about the opinions of those from other countries that are "disrespectful" enough to bash my own.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 6:21:29 PM
Date: 3/22/2009 6:03:53 PM

I never said either of YOU did any bashing, and I was quite clear about it. Hence ''...And I''m not saying you''ve done so, Bee''.

Sorry you find it so ''offensive'' that I don''t care what you think of this country. But I''m honest. I don''t.

My name is Porridge.

I said ''disrespectful''. Not offensive. I''ve read enough of your posts to know better than to take offense to what you say. And also to honestly not care anymore.

Okay, ''disrespectful''. You''re right. My bad.

Sorry you find it ''disrespectful'' that I don''t care about the opinions of those from other countries that are ''disrespectful'' enough to bash my own.
We''re going around in circles. I never bashed your country. I was never disrespectful towards it. But I don''t have to defend myself here. We are way off topic and neither of us care
2.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
We suggest we be generous and give Holly and Bee an outlet for their anger, as long as the Admin has no problem with it. :)

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Porridge, (and Bee and the rest of the world)
So sorry about that. Many of us who understand that the world is very small and very interconnected care deeply about what you and others think. The Irish Tiger phenom has been fascinating, I hope that the downturn will not impact the peace in Belfast as some speculated in the Economist recently. I''m headed back to Ireland in June, always a lovely time to see the south.

Glad you are contributing here. Please keep it up, globalization has made us all strange bedfellows.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Zhuzhu - very diplomatic solution
2.gif
works for me!
Swimmer - thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy Ireland in June. You're right about the south being beautiful in June. Our economic downturn is due to blatant and shameless lying by our politicians and bankers. The whole of Europe is laughing at us. When that happens, political unrest is a natural consequence, and so The North is a worry - I'm sure you heard about the recent killings. Shocking. But that's for another thread
2.gif

/end threadjack.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 7:05:28 PM
Author: zhuzhu
We suggest we be generous and give Holly and Bee an outlet for their anger, as long as the Admin has no problem with it. :)

I agree- what''s another handful of deleted threads?
2.gif

Date: 3/22/2009 5:45:18 PM

However, you don''t discuss a particular subject. You ask deliberately provocative questions, or say something - anything - to point out exactly how we as a country have ''effed up'' in your opinion. THAT is rude.

Gosh, this sounds so familiar. Where else do we see this on a regular basis? Something about ''fangirls'' and ''illegal aliens'' springs to mind.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 10:02:03 AM

Just wanted to note DF, that the most interesting thing about this thread is not necessarily the responses you receive, but the fact that you asked the question in the first place.

Do you think a liberal would start a thread here asking conservatives for opinions on our new president?
2.gif
nahhh....most of them are
littlebashfulguy.gif
after two months.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 7:43:07 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 3/22/2009 10:02:03 AM

2.gif
nahhh....most of them are
littlebashfulguy.gif
after two months.

Red-faced? Yeah. Especially after that asinine, offensive and ignorant crack on Leno. (among other things).

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 7:05:28 PM
Author: zhuzhu

Wow, for someone who''s so "angry" I sure do an awful lot of chuckling at much of what I see around here.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results