shape
carat
color
clarity

LGD with IGI certs vs. Appraisal Only

kmg110

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

So I've been in communication w/ ID jewelry for my studs, and I was presented with a beautiful pair of 2.57 ctw, E color, VS1 LGD studs. The only downside is that they do not come with an IGI certificate, only an appraisal. The rep explained that in order for me to get a pair with an IGI certificate, they would have to custom make studs and I would lose the ability to return them.

So now I'm trying to decide what's the smarter move here, my mined diamonds have a cert, but are the reports just as necessary for LGD, or is an appraisal good enough? I don't plan on selling them, but should I have it for insurance purposes or does it even matter if I have the appraisal?

Just wondering

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost all LGDs come with certs. Is this IDJ in New York? I'd ask for certified stones only.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
They're probably ungraded pre-made earrings.
If you're wanting top optical performance and higher material quality, then you may want to reconsider finding two diamonds that pair well together and having them made into earrings.
That will come with a price, so consider that and let us know if we can find you some recommendations for diamonds for you to compare value and optics with the pre-made set.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
You had mentioned the 25% discount. If you get IGI studs through them, does the discount still beat the prices you can get through an online vendor?

If you put your parameters up here, including budget, our experts can search for you so you can compare prices. IDJ has a wonderful reputation, but sometimes it comes down to pricing.

kmg110

Rough_Rock
You had mentioned the 25% discount. If you get IGI studs through them, does the discount still beat the prices you can get through an online vendor?

If you put your parameters up here, including budget, our experts can search for you so you can compare prices. IDJ has a wonderful reputation, but sometimes it comes down to pricing.

I believe so, with the discount, the price is a little under $1200 which is a steal.

concun

Shiny_Rock
For some reasons, I don’t trust appraisal probably due to its inflated pricing listed, lol… If you trust the vendor, sure. But I personally preferred certified stones as it is easier for our experts here to help me examining the stones, I have a peace of mind, and who knows if I will make it into something else or pawn it lol…

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind that Alex Park had 3.18 (1.59x2) tcw E VS1 certed studs for $1350. The IG page will show his offerings and prices.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I believe so, with the discount, the price is a little under $1200 which is a steal.

I found two diamonds that would be 2.25ctw with H&A designation,clean HPHT, E color, VVS1, 0.06mm difference. Both under $550 each.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy ungraded diamonds for studs.

kmg110

Rough_Rock
Keep in mind that Alex Park had 3.18 (1.59x2) tcw E VS1 certed studs for $1350. The IG page will show his offerings and prices.
Oh wow, that's a good deal. I ended up pulling the trigger on the ones from ID jewelry and went w/ the IGI cert. They should arrive next week, fingers crossed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results