shape
carat
color
clarity

LGD Round help

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
HI All
I currently have a 3 stone ering with a K center that i dont love. It doesn't perform well and seems very warm next to my two g side stones.
I am struggling with the cost to get a WF replacement center and for them to reset my K into a pendent.....so i am exploring all options and then hoping to decide from there.

So, i am here hoping someone can guide me to a vendor that can:
1) find me a 1-1.25 amazing fireball of a stone to go in my center - i have NO CLUE what proportions i would need for a lgd
2) vendor will take my k and put it in a pendent and be reputable to do so

Does anyone have any ideas? Any vendors in this arena that are trusted?

Can you also kindly remind me why its OK to go with lgd and maybe a better choice.

Currently its 7100+ plus to swap out my 1.08K for a .95 WF G. If i could get a lgd and have that option be 1k or so that would definitely be something to consider.
I would plan to keep my same setting so not sure but thinking up to 1.25 would be the biggest they could go.

\Thank yoU!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you keep your same setting then the stone would need to stay in the 1ct range.

Only you can decide if you're ok with LGD. Personally, I think they are great and offer the exact same material for much less money. Win/win. My only issue with LGD is that they dont have optiona with fluorescence (which most people dont like, but I'm a weirdo who does haha)

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
If you keep your same setting then the stone would need to stay in the 1ct range.

Only you can decide if you're ok with LGD. Personally, I think they are great and offer the exact same material for much less money. Win/win. My only issue with LGD is that they dont have optiona with fluorescence (which most people dont like, but I'm a weirdo who does haha)

I dont even know what that means?! ??

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Fluorescence is a blue tinge to the stone. I think it can make a stone look whiter, like a blue/white. But it is a personal preference thing. Many people try to avoid it.

So, as far as the size goes, you can get a beautiful, larger stone (if that is what you want) if you don't use your current setting. Many on here get DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) after a few years and end up upgrading. (You think you won't, I didn't think I would and I'm on my 2nd upgrade!). I still have my original 0.33 diamond and I am going to set in in a ring as a side stone with a LG emerald.

If you want to keep your setting, then go for a beautiful fireball and use the rest of the money towards your wedding - or a nice pair of LG studs!! LOL

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an expert, but WF is an excellent company and this one looks beautiful. I'm sure the pros will be back soon to offer more suggestions.

WF G 1.04 VS1

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
It would also be good to educate yourself on what to look for in a LG diamond. The consensus is that HPHT is the better growth method (vs. CVD) but it's not that CVD is bad, as long as you know what you're looking at, and luckily the pros on here know what to look for.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the LGD world, freedom2016!

I had three stand-outs that I briefly mentioned in your other thread...two have already sold since then so only one remains.
I won't post links to the actual diamond since you said you were super busy and may not have time to make a decision before anonymous lurkers snag it away from you.

1.68 D VS1 HPHT method - 40.8/35/56 combo - $1981

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
thank you so much! i guess i was hoping to find an amazing lgd for 1k - is that realistic to get an incredible one for that amount? If not, what is?
7100 is the cost if i go with the egd. I would hope this to be 5k or MORE below.
i am hoping to use my current setting and do it all with one vendor.
they set new stone and take my K and put into pendant.
$1400 at wf plus 300 setting fees (150x2) and 250 pendant is 2k so i think on the high end of what i would hope to spend for lg but then again, i am NEW to the lgd idea!

appreciate all feedback! DejaWiz, if i am seeking a 1.08 similar size to fit my current setting, maybe a smidge larger if it fits. how much would an ideal lgd be?

with perfect proportions i mean. :)

ALSO, is the wf lgd the best for that size? maybe i can ask them to send me a video of those 2 side by side

what are the proportions i would need for a lgd?

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Also, realize a well cut diamond, even if smaller, can face up larger. So don't limit yourself, but I'm sure you'll find something.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
thank you so much! i guess i was hoping to find an amazing lgd for 1k - is that realistic to get an incredible one for that amount? If not, what is?
7100 is the cost if i go with the egd. I would hope this to be 5k or MORE below.
i am hoping to use my current setting and do it all with one vendor.
they set new stone and take my K and put into pendant.
$1400 at wf plus 300 setting fees (150x2) and 250 pendant is 2k so i think on the high end of what i would hope to spend for lg but then again, i am NEW to the lgd idea!

appreciate all feedback! DejaWiz, if i am seeking a 1.08 similar size to fit my current setting, maybe a smidge larger if it fits. how much would an ideal lgd be?

with perfect proportions i mean. :)

ALSO, is the wf lgd the best for that size? maybe i can ask them to send me a video of those 2 side by side

what are the proportions i would need for a lgd?

Yes - we can definitely get you some suggestions for great LGDs for $1k or less.
I'll do some searching...

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Here's a WF PLGD option that has amazing fire!

Thank you so much! i have started a spreadsheet!!!! LOL :)
I do have an acct on their site. how do i get the 100 off coupon??

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found a couple for you to have a peek at.

1.06 D VVS1 - $778

1.06 D VVS2 - $637

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Found a couple for you to have a peek at.

1.06 D VVS1 - $778

1.06 D VVS2 - $637

These are great! Thank you!!!!
What do u think?
Is it a place that could do everything I need?
I’m so torn.
Can u tell me site so I can look and maybe contact them?
I’d like to put together full cost
For all and the see what fiancé thinks

Wf told me today about their upgrade program and that it only applies to egd not lgd. So good to know :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
These are great! Thank you!!!!
What do u think?
Is it a place that could do everything I need?
I’m so torn.
Can u tell me site so I can look and maybe contact them?
I’d like to put together full cost
For all and the see what fiancé thinks

Wf told me today about their upgrade program and that it only applies to egd not lgd. So good to know :)

You're very welcome!
Right now, my go-to sites are LooseGrownDiamond and Ritani (many of the diamonds listed at Ritani are also listed at LooseGrownDiamond since they pull from the same virtual inventory feeds)...it's a bit of work to go through 100, 200, 300 diamonds to find maybe 3-10 that warrant a closer look, but the pricing can make that effort extremely worthwhile.

As for the setting, my recommendation is to order just the loose diamond and have it shipped so that you can inspect and assess it, then find a local reputable jeweler to work with on the setting which will give you a close proximity shop for maintenance, replating, and cleaning as needed/desired.

If you do want to shoot for bigger, then you certainly may have the budget for it once you figure out what kind of setting you want and determine pricing for the setting and setting fees.

Last edited:

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
thank you so much!!! i am so torn on what to do. I appreciate this. i will check out those sites. :)

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
You're very welcome!
Right now, my go-to sites are LooseGrownDiamond and Ritani (many of the diamonds listed at Ritani are also listed at LooseGrownDiamond since they pull from the same virtual inventory feeds)...it's a bit of work to go through 100, 200, 300 diamonds to find maybe 3-10 that warrant a closer look, but the pricing can make that effort extremely worthwhile.

I just bought a diamond (oopsies) on LGD.com that was listed for $500 dollars more on Adiamor!! THat's a HUGE difference!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a diamond (oopsies) on LGD.com that was listed for $500 dollars more on Adiamor!! THat's a HUGE difference!!

We, uhhh, need some details, dang it!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluorescence is a blue tinge to the stone. I think it can make a stone look whiter, like a blue/white. But it is a personal preference thing. Many people try to avoid it.

It sounds like you may be thinking of blue nuance instead of fluorescence. This occurs when boron is added during the HPHT growth process to remove nitrogen and shortcut growth time. Alternatively titanium or aluminum can be used to remove the nitrogen but they can leave grey undertones as opposed to blue. Not all HPHT stones exhibit blue or grey nuance. Sometimes it’s listed on lab reports but not always. A good visual inspection is necessary to confirm. However, caution should be exercised as modern technology allows fairly easy manipulation of color adjustments to photos and videos.

Blue nuance is always present and is obvious when seen. This could be a desirable or undesirable effect depending on buyer preference.

CE0A0249-F69F-4F47-B6EF-3E86AD312BBD.jpeg

737417B5-E781-4C8A-8827-B74565CE59F3.jpeg

Unlike blue nuance that is “always on” fluorescence is the process in which the stone gets “excited” by exposure to certain types of UV and fluorescences. Fluor can be blue, yellow, orange, red and other colors; however, it is commonly blue. In addition to color variation there is also strength variation. Stones with reports of none, faint or negligible are not considered to have fluor. At medium+ strength a stone is considered to have fluor and typically trades for a discount as the market sees it as less desirable. The stronger the fluorescence the higher probability of potential clarity issues. Stones with clouds, twinning whisps, graining, etc may negatively enhance clarity issues causing them to look cloudy or lazy. GIA has a report that says the vast majority of stones with fluor do not create issues; however, due diligence is required when evaluating a stone with medium+ fluor levels.

Because most stones exhibit a yellow undertone and most fluor is blue then when exposed to certain UV light the blue offsets the yellow undertone and can temporarily whiten the stone. It’s NOT always on but only when subjected to UV light. Depending on UV and fluor strengths it can also create a slight blue hue in the stone — again, temporarily until it’s no longer exposed to UV lighting.

Stones with different undertones (grey, brown, etc) and/or have different colors of fluor than blue may create other distinctive appearances.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @freedom2016, refresh my memory what size are your G side stones in your current setting? Depending on size, did they also have a lab report? If so, can you also share those?

My reason for asking is two fold. I am curious about the cut quality of the G’s. It will obviously determine how firey they are or aren’t. But also it can help pinpoint if they are reflecting maximum light to appear as bright as possible. As you may or may not know, color and clarity are graded by humans and is somewhat subjective. For color there is a set of master stones used and color is based on how a particular stone compares to the master set. This means there can be some variance, or range, in color. So it’s possible to have a G that looks nearly F or maybe a G that looks H. Or maybe a G that is right in the middle and a G. As you go further down the color scale this range becomes larger meaning a D has very little range where a G will have more range but a K would have even more range.

Identifying where in the range a stone falls is important when considering color. In addition the cut quality may make it appear whiter as better cut stones reflect more light. Lastly, smaller stones have less body. Less body means less tint so small stones sometimes look whiter even paired with the same color of a larger stone.

Why blab on about this? Since your current plan is to keep the two G’s I want to make sure you end up with a center stone that matches them as closely as possible. Perhaps some of the reason you were unhappy with the K is because the G’s were too white and negatively making it obvious how yellow the K was in comparison.

It’s not diamond related but we repainted our house last November. It had been on our list since we moved in for multiple reasons. The primary reason is the walls were a tan color with some cream trim and an even lighter cream ceiling. All with wood floors. Too much brown for me and too yellow. Thankfully wife agreed. We found a splendid gray and very bright white color for the trim. We absolutely love the new colors. It modernized the house and made it much brighter.

But it also became painfully obvious blinds were our next upgrade! I might add that while I may not have loved the prior color scheme it didn’t have this drastic effect.

I’m not sure if your G’s and K did the same thing but I want to avoid clashing colors to provide unintended results.

New paint with old blinds:
6EE302D2-6172-4551-8A04-7976BE45E150.jpeg

Old wall & trim paint colors with new trim color. The old blinds matched closely to the original trim color.

17E7B186-A8CA-4AF7-9F79-6F6694B9F4BC.jpeg

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge Hi. I believe @freedom2016 decided to go with EGD but wait until December/January to safe up, etc.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup I saw the other post in Rocky Talky. It was made after I posted all this stuff or I wouldn’t have bothered. Maybe it will be helpful to someone else.

freedom2016

Shiny_Rock
Yup I saw the other post in Rocky Talky. It was made after I posted all this stuff or I wouldn’t have bothered. Maybe it will be helpful to someone else.

Hi sledge
Sorry about that and yes This above is super helpful!
I do not know what the sides are. Good point - the local jeweler told me all their settings come with g stones so I just took it for that.
I’m not sure how I could find out for sure exactly what they are. I could ask the place but they also told me the 1.04 they sent was ideal and flawlessly cut which u app helped me learn wasn’t the case.

Also I love the grey! We just did a similar color as well. I am guessing they are very white G’s and they make my k look very warm. Come December I’ll seek recommended proportions and maybe even get a h or i if all the other numbers are right.

Just don’t want to make a mistake with this and super thankful for everyone’s input on both threads.

When I come back later, I’ll post in the other thread as it’s egd.

Thanks again everyone and see u over in Rockytalky :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries @freedom2016. Re-reading my last post I see how it may have came across as snarky. That wasn’t the intent when written.

As you picked up, the color of the G’s will come into play in natural and lab diamonds.

Also, fluor also applies to natural stones. Although in your case WF ACA’s are currently limited to negligible (AGS grading term) which equates to none or faint (in GIA terms) so it’s not really much of an issue for your specific use case.

WF does have some “near miss” ACA lines called premium select (PS) amd expert select (ES) and you may see medium+ levels there, although it’s extremely rare — think I’ve seen one if I’m remembering correctly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results