shape
carat
color
clarity

Lexus RX 350 and Volvo XC60

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to buy a new luxury SUV and these are the two I'm most interested in. I'm looking for a vehicle that is safe, provides a smooth ride, and isn't super expensive to maintain.

Please share your experiences with Lexus and/or Volvo!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have never owned a Volvo, but had a Lexus RX 300 for 10 years between 2004-2014. My favorite luxury SUV thus far. Never gave me any problems, and was still running great at almost 200K miles when I traded it in. My Audi Q7 had tons of issues, and I only had it for exactly 5 years....Maintenance on the Lexus was a lot less expensive than my Audi as well. No idea what Volvo is like, but I'm guessing that since it is European, it would be more comparable to my Audi, and $$$$!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We love the Lexus SUV. We kept our first one RX 300 (never had any major issues) for a very long time as we got it in 1999 and had to get another one in 2017 I believe.

We have an RX 350 now. Love it. A reliable car with a comfy smooth ride for me. I get car sick/motion sick so easily and the Lexus never disappoints with an easy and smooth ride.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE my Lexus RX 350!!!!! mine is a 2009 and I have had it for 3.5 years, I am in the processing of looking for a newer SUV and I am only looking at the Lexus!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
The only think I have to nitpick about with the newer Lexus RX is the styling. I was actually thinking of going back to a Lexus after owning my Audi Q7 for 5 years. I am very "traditional" and like my SUV's to look classic and timeless. I think the latest Lexus RX is too edgy and futuristic looking for me. I would have gone for the GX because of it's more classic shape, but in speaking to the sales rep, it seemed like the GX was due to be phased out completely, or going through a complete overhaul soon, so I ended up with my MB GLC300 Coupe (crossover) which I love so far...it has only been 3 months, and I'm still in love with it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife loves her 2017 RX 350.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the Volvo XC60...I looked for a long time...and decided to get it. I love mine...My neighbor had a really bad accident...She had a huge truck t bone her..rolling her car into a ditch. The police and witnesses thought she had to be dead. The car inside was perfect..keeping its interior intact. The airbags deployed encasing and protecting her from the impact. She suffered broken ribs and a broken wrist..mainly from the airbags..The police and EMTs said she should never have walked out of that accident. That pushed me into getting the Volvo...I do a lot of driving...and I like knowing it’s built like a tank. It’s pretty too..

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Lexus RX350 and really love it! I had two Lexus sedans prior to that and no complaints about them either. It is a substantial vehicle and I've no complaints.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Not the XC60, but I have the XC90 2017 and love the ride, handling and how safe I feel. The interior is beautiful too...oh and most comfy seats ever!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've had a 2012 Lexus RX350 since 2011 and it has had no problems whatsoever. DW also liked my Lexus, she just traded in her Jag for another RX350!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went through this same question.
Didnt like the Volvo, felt it was too basic in its trim level. Didn’t like the BMW or Audi because they can have problems. Hubby didn’t like the Merc and loathed the Lexus. I loved the Lexus and my mechanic said they are truly well built cars. DH wasn’t swayed.
We got a Porsche Cayenne.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Bron357 mentioned the trim level is basic on the Volvo and I agree..if you get the basic model. I got the Inscription model which has a beautiful trim package.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only think I have to nitpick about with the newer Lexus RX is the styling. I was actually thinking of going back to a Lexus after owning my Audi Q7 for 5 years. I am very "traditional" and like my SUV's to look classic and timeless. I think the latest Lexus RX is too edgy and futuristic looking for me. I would have gone for the GX because of it's more classic shape, but in speaking to the sales rep, it seemed like the GX was due to be phased out completely, or going through a complete overhaul soon, so I ended up with my MB GLC300 Coupe (crossover) which I love so far...it has only been 3 months, and I'm still in love with it!

That's why we got an older model 2015 certified pre owned. The grill is beautiful and not aggressive like the newer models. I hate the newer grills and it doesn't fit my aesthetic but they are here to stay. Not going anywhere I think. People seem to love the look but you and I are the exception @jaysonsmom

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to agree with you on the new RX350s. We bought a new RX450h in 2014 with the old style grill (I don't like the new grills either) and the LED screen more integrated in the dash than the new ones. We drove a 2018 loaner last year when we had routine maintenance and it bugged me how the LED screen was just stuck on there as if it were an afterthought.
Haven't had any trouble (but only 23k miles since Jan 2014) and we like it very much.
Hubby's brother rolled his RX350 by hitting a patch of black ice on the freeway in PA. Car was totaled and he had some minor injuries.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
idk about the XC60 but the XC90 is the hot thing in SF and everyone I know who lives there has one and loves it. They do encounter computer problems with them occasionally, though I think it happened more when the model with the newfangled computer things was new. The Lexus would last longer and be cheaper to maintain - but my problem with the Lexuses at that pricepoint is that they still feel and drive like Toyotas, which I can't stand. You have to bump up quite a bit in price to get a Lexus that isn't essentially a Toyota with a facelift. The Volvo will not have that problem - at that price point they are a much more luxe driving experience compared to Lexus.

Full disclosure: my family is split into two camps with regards to cars: those who only drive Toyotas or Lexuses, and those who only drive VWs or Volvos. I'm in the latter camp, obviously. So I've driven a number of each, plus test-drove a bunch when I bought my car three years ago. I own a VW GTI.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My daughter-in-law’s family all drive bmws so when my husband I needed a new car..she kept saying we should get a bmw. This time I decided to break off and get the Volvo..I hope it’s not as needy as the bmw was...It was always telling me I was low on air in the winter...It was a real pain. I did love the car....The Volvo has been pretty fun..When I first got it I needed to get plants. I didn’t want to put them in my new car so I took my old bmw..which is now my husband’s car. I was paying for the plants when I got a message from the app saying my car was unlocked. It was a little creepy..haha..but I was able to lock it from 15 minutes away..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with you on the new RX350s. We bought a new RX450h in 2014 with the old style grill (I don't like the new grills either) and the LED screen more integrated in the dash than the new ones.
I also like the older style grill, and I'd agree with you about the LED screen, but we gotten used to it by now.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
My mechanic friend tried to convince DH to buy an RX350. He feels they’re the best value and easiest to maintain of the standard luxury brands.

DH didn’t listen and he picks up his new Q5 next week.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
My hubby got an new Volvo XC60 this year and we love it. It is the inscription trim, and very luxe inside. Lots of bells and whistles. We didn’t look too hard at Lexus because we didn’t like what they are doing with their grilles now. The front ends are very futuristic at the moment. Loved the Lexus of several years ago, and those would have been a serious contender.

One of the things we most liked about Volvo is that they have valet for service. You make an appointment, they come pick your car up at your house (or office), and drop off your loaner. Could not be easier. I don’t know if that is specific to our dealership or if all of them do it. We have done it once and it went smoothly, except that the person who had our loaner before us had on such strong perfume it was still all over the interior and lingered for two days. Not Volvo’s fault.

I‘m looking for a new car and will be test driving the XC 90, as we have loved the 60.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone, for sharing your input on the Lexus RX 350 and Volvo XC60!

I visited a Lexus dealership last weekend and drove the RX 350. I was really impressed with the smooth ride and comfy interior and customer service was really top notch. I had been to Volvo the week before and was sooo underwhelmed; I drove the XC60 but the salesperson was unenthusiastic, shared little info regarding the car. So I was leaning towards Lexus but really liked the look of the Volvo. Back to Volvo a few days later to work with a different sales associate, another test drive (an all around better experience) and I’m thinking I will get the Volvo!

Here are stock pics of the 2020 Lexus RX 350 and 2020 Volvo XC60 Inscription.

E835CC64-7614-4C6A-8344-78DC66F1EC87.jpeg
2020 Lexus RX350

7D0E748C-40BA-4904-A93B-5B5B40F10B47.jpeg
2020 Volvo XC60 Inscription

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both cars share similarities re safety features, luxe interior, smooth ride and price but like @jaysonsmom, I’m drawn to a more classic SUV silhouette. I love the look of the Volvo!

What’s funny is I grew up with Volvos but they were so ugly back then. My mother drove a brick red one in the 70s and then another in the 80s. She wanted safe and dependable and that’s what they were. I got my drivers license in this car and was so embarrassed to be seen in it.

it looked similar to this.

ABB00FAB-E155-4358-8446-C563C1338F68.jpeg
Volvo 200 series, stock photo

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay on the new car!

Both cars share similarities re safety features, luxe interior, smooth ride and price but like @jaysonsmom, I’m drawn to a more classic SUV silhouette. I love the look of the Volvo!

What’s funny is I grew up with Volvos but they were so ugly back then. My mother drove a brick red one in the 70s and then another in the 80s. She wanted safe and dependable and that’s what they were. I got my drivers license in this car and was so embarrassed to be seen in it.

it looked similar to this.

ABB00FAB-E155-4358-8446-C563C1338F68.jpeg
Volvo 200 series, stock photo

One of my good friends in HS had a car like that (different color though). He got in an accident on the highway after school one day. Other car was totaled and my friend's car had just a scratched bumper. No "crumple zone" at all, lol! Bad for the driver in terms of getting knocked around I guess, but great for not having to get the car fixed!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m in the Volvo camp but I drive one now (but a V60 wagon - I’m one of the few who doesn’t like SUVs). The Lexus is more of a “couch on wheels” which is awesome if that’s what you like. And they’re rock solid. But the Volvo is just different enough to be interesting. I will share that, at least with the last generation, Volvo resale isn’t great. Because of that, they’re often much better used car buys than new car buys. Works for me because I buy used.

Good luck on your final decision and congrats!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @eapj !

Ive decided to get the Volvo XC60 Inscription! Can anyone share insight re prepaid maintenance plans? Good idea/ bad idea? As far as I know it has to be purchased when you buy the car.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @eapj !

Ive decided to get the Volvo XC60 Inscription! Can anyone share insight re prepaid maintenance plans? Good idea/ bad idea? As far as I know it has to be purchased when you buy the car.

In general, pre-paid extra warranty plans are not recommended as being a good buy. However, much depends on the particular car and its reliability. I know nothing about the Volvo, but Lexus and Toyota have outstanding reliability and there's no way I'd buy a pre-paid maintenance/warranty plan for that. All my 6 year Toyota Venza has had are the occasional oil changes and new tires.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, @eapj !

I didn’t get a prepaid maintenance plan but did pick up an extended warranty since this is my first Volvo and I don’t know the car and sounds as well as I do VWs (25 years of driving them and could really tell when they needed something). Steingold Volvo has really good prices and you may be able to use those prices to bargain with your own dealer. You can buy a warranty from any Volvo dealer within a certain timeframe after car purchase but not sure about prepaid maintenance plans. Check out swedespeed.com for more info about all of this since there are very knowledgeable people over there.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, pre-paid extra warranty plans are not recommended as being a good buy.
Yup, A big rip off!. They try to sell us their extra warranty plan when we bought my wife's RX 350. The SA offered to us like $3200? I said no, then she said how about $2K?, I said no thanks, then she said my best offer is $1300, and it is a great deal!. I still said no thanks!

So it started at $3200 and within 10 mins she came down $1900...:wall:This is where they make their big bucks by selling the consumers all these BS warranty stuffs.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@baby nurse I’m curious how you are feeling about your Volvo since purchasing?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
They are both very nice cars, but the Lexus will likely be more reliable long term. I've also heard great things about Mercedes long term reliability.

Be sure to look into the Costco auto program, they pre-negotiate pricing for you and it's a great deal. We saved around $10K through the Costco auto program. It's also worth asking if your company has a fleet discount with the manufacturer, as there could be more savings there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results