shape
carat
color
clarity

Letting go of sentimental pieces - Part II

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Daisys and Diamonds for encouraging me to seek more advice (and fun chats) on a new thread!

So here are the pieces I'm a bit uncertain about parting with. My reasons for selling are mostly to reduce the mental load of worrying how to insure them, and to add some funds as we pay off our mortgage and slowly save up to replace some very old carpets. All of these white gold pieces (apart from the Tasaki silver square pearl pendant) were gifted to me by my mother, but I've not worn them in years, some over a decade ago, as I'm mostly wearing yellow gold now. I'm also reflecting back on some of the PS threads that discussed how people's taste have changed over the years, and I'm wondering if I can somehow anticipate that I'll wish I had these pieces 5, 10, or 20 years from now. I know it's silly and impossible to try to predict in advance :lol: but I had fun reading through everyone's experiences. I've also thought out loud to my DH about passing them down to our (presently non-existent) children, and his reply was: "(1) :roll2: well, give me a daughter first, and (2) they're going to have their own tastes, so might as well sell and then buy what they actually want when the time comes." Ok, fair enough, I can agree with both points. =)2

Eager to hear all of your nuggets of wisdom! :)

IMG_1310.jpg IMG_1311.jpg IMG_1312.jpg IMG_1313.jpg IMG_1314.jpg

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @musicalmeow !

Have you considered keeping just one of the pieces that was gifted to you by your mom? Maybe one of the pieces means more to you than the rest?

This will leave you with some extra money for your mortgage, and also knowing that you still have a special sentimental piece.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just my opinion, and I'm admittedly sentimental about items from my family, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Since you are unsure about parting with these items, I wouldn't do it. You have expressed a desire to perhaps pass down these items one day, which I think is lovely. It is true that tastes change, but items can be reworked into styles more appropriate to the person who will wear them. I would hate to see you sell these pieces, then experience regret. Of course, it is ultimately your decision. I just hope you are certain about your decision before you move forward.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love those pearls !

Your hubby is possibly just not into sentimental pieces - no judgement - some people just arnt
But a future daughter or daughter in law or granddaughter might love a piece that your mum gave to you

Reducing the morgage is important (i know!) But i wouldn't sell to fund carpets

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much dear ladies for helping me to see the bigger picture and other possibilities. I also just got my big box back from the decluttering service and my head's spinning as I'm attempting to organise and sell them myself instead. It's good to just listen to other people's thoughts and breathe before taking any action.

@Paisley2628 Hi! :wavey:I had fun thinking over which one piece I would keep. If it's an item I might wear more often, it'd be the Chopard panda pendant. I personally find chest-length pendants uncomfortable when they weigh on my chest, but this one is surprisingly ok, maybe because it sits higher towards my neck. However, if it's a purely sentimental piece, it would be the thicker diamond solitaire ring, because my mother personally designed it and I can remember her wearing it when I was a child.

Aw thanks for your thoughts @Diamond Girl 21! I did make the mistake of selling off a few pieces a few years ago to a jeweller as scrap gold. I knew I was never going to wear them, but in hindsight I might have felt better if I sold some of them as is to someone who appreciated the designs, rather than melt it down. It didn't bother me at all for more than a year after I sold them, and then when I really thought about it more recently, I was surprised that I started feeling a bit guilty. So, yeah, I agree that there is a greater emotional risk in selling these current pieces, even if the risk might catch up many years later.

Aw, thanks @Daisys and Diamonds! My grandfather bought the square pendant during one of his business trips to Japan for my mother when she was in college, and she wore it often. My mother has such a fond memory of this store (Tasaki), so she gifted me the pearl solitaire from the same store when she and my father visited Japan many years later. Your comment about the carpets drove it home :lol: and I realise now that I'd hardly raise much with these pieces to contribute towards that project. At the same time, my hubby's been having some issues with his teeth - he's seriously chipped his molars - for more than a year now. He's refusing to visit the dentist because they're pretty expensive here. He'd rather save up for several years to make sure we can pay off some of the mortgage first without worry, before caring for his health, and I guess that's where I'm drawing the line, lol. So if I can sell some of these pieces to also convince him that we have enough to book him a few appointments and then drag him in, I suppose it's worth it? :lol-2:

Sorry ladies for my essay! I'm also inspired by previous PS discussions about being minimalist and sticking with a holy grail piece / only pieces you wear. I realised after reading @LLJsmom's post that I'm very much a "wearer" rather than a "collector" as well, and worry about things sitting in a box. And like @Laila619 who has let go of everything except a simple gold band - now that's a goal! (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-has-your-bling-style-evolved.218526/)

But that's a whole other topic :mrgreen2:

Lots of food for thought. Thanks so much for your input, truly! This was very helpful, and fun!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much dear ladies for helping me to see the bigger picture and other possibilities. I also just got my big box back from the decluttering service and my head's spinning as I'm attempting to organise and sell them myself instead. It's good to just listen to other people's thoughts and breathe before taking any action.

@Paisley2628 Hi! :wavey:I had fun thinking over which one piece I would keep. If it's an item I might wear more often, it'd be the Chopard panda pendant. I personally find chest-length pendants uncomfortable when they weigh on my chest, but this one is surprisingly ok, maybe because it sits higher towards my neck. However, if it's a purely sentimental piece, it would be the thicker diamond solitaire ring, because my mother personally designed it and I can remember her wearing it when I was a child.

Aw thanks for your thoughts @Diamond Girl 21! I did make the mistake of selling off a few pieces a few years ago to a jeweller as scrap gold. I knew I was never going to wear them, but in hindsight I might have felt better if I sold some of them as is to someone who appreciated the designs, rather than melt it down. It didn't bother me at all for more than a year after I sold them, and then when I really thought about it more recently, I was surprised that I started feeling a bit guilty. So, yeah, I agree that there is a greater emotional risk in selling these current pieces, even if the risk might catch up many years later.

Aw, thanks @Daisys and Diamonds! My grandfather bought the square pendant during one of his business trips to Japan for my mother when she was in college, and she wore it often. My mother has such a fond memory of this store (Tasaki), so she gifted me the pearl solitaire from the same store when she and my father visited Japan many years later. Your comment about the carpets drove it home :lol: and I realise now that I'd hardly raise much with these pieces to contribute towards that project. At the same time, my hubby's been having some issues with his teeth - he's seriously chipped his molars - for more than a year now. He's refusing to visit the dentist because they're pretty expensive here. He'd rather save up for several years to make sure we can pay off some of the mortgage first without worry, before caring for his health, and I guess that's where I'm drawing the line, lol. So if I can sell some of these pieces to also convince him that we have enough to book him a few appointments and then drag him in, I suppose it's worth it? :lol-2:

Sorry ladies for my essay! I'm also inspired by previous PS discussions about being minimalist and sticking with a holy grail piece / only pieces you wear. I realised after reading @LLJsmom's post that I'm very much a "wearer" rather than a "collector" as well, and worry about things sitting in a box. And like @Laila619 who has let go of everything except a simple gold band - now that's a goal! (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-has-your-bling-style-evolved.218526/)

But that's a whole other topic :mrgreen2:

Lots of food for thought. Thanks so much for your input, truly! This was very helpful, and fun!

Oh dear poor hubby
dentists are exspensive here too but you don't want his teeth getting worse

sounds like you have desided on a few pieces to keep then

Good luck selling them, as they are all too pretty to melt down
i had a clean out last year and sold some stuff for scrap when the gold price was high and we had the rates (property tax) due
i got rid of silly little projects and some old baby jewlery of mine (i kept some) i have only regretted getting rid of one piece but i did also feel quite good getting rid of most of the others

just take it easy and
good luck

W

westofhere

I’ve been selling off stuff over the last few years to fund the buying of a few “dream” pieces. I’d rather have 3 of such than 30 I’m not crazy about, which has taken me years to learn.

My two cents: there’s nothing more liberating than being debt free, so I’d pay down the mortgage. Also, though, if you’re thinking of having kids, I’d consider keeping the pearl solitaire w/ small diamond, because that’s the sort of piece a little girl could, say, be given when she’s born by her mom and dad and be allowed to wear on special occasions till she’s old enough to caretake it herself.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re still thinking about selling, I would be interested in hearing the details of this piece.

CB8156B4-B4C9-4429-ACA6-D5A3503BDF28.jpeg

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
Good luck selling them, as they are all too pretty to melt down
i had a clean out last year and sold some stuff for scrap when the gold price was high and we had the rates (property tax) due

Yes, same with me. The amount I got from the jeweller did provide some buffer money for various expenses and bills. As a first time buyer, I'm realising how expensive it is to keep a house - the winter bills can be high!

i got rid of silly little projects and some old baby jewlery of mine (i kept some) i have only regretted getting rid of one piece but i did also feel quite good getting rid of most of the others

Oh, I've got some of those too - sterling silver and jade trinkets given to me as a toddler. I've finally come around to letting those go in my decluttering attempt this time. It's good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, can't wait to feel that relief!

just take it easy and
good luck

Thanks for the important reminder! I've organised quite a few items to photograph, pack up, etc. this week, but there's still a mountain of things that we've accumulated over the years to go through. I'm trying to stay realistic and remind myself that it's going to be a long process, but so worth it too!

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
I’ve been selling off stuff over the last few years to fund the buying of a few “dream” pieces. I’d rather have 3 of such than 30 I’m not crazy about, which has taken me years to learn.

Oh this is something I'm so eager to learn and live by as well. I'm really wanting to pare down my collection to hopefully 5 pieces that I'll wear constantly. I would love to hear more about your dream pieces! (only if you're comfortable sharing) =)2

My two cents: there’s nothing more liberating than being debt free, so I’d pay down the mortgage. Also, though, if you’re thinking of having kids, I’d consider keeping the pearl solitaire w/ small diamond, because that’s the sort of piece a little girl could, say, be given when she’s born by her mom and dad and be allowed to wear on special occasions till she’s old enough to caretake it herself.
Yes, liberating is the right word!! And what a great idea about using the pearl solitaire as an introductory jewel - it's like Jewellery Appreciation and Care in Real Practice 101! :lol:

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
If you’re still thinking about selling, I would be interested in hearing the details of this piece.

CB8156B4-B4C9-4429-ACA6-D5A3503BDF28.jpeg

Hi @ringo865! Here are some close up photos and a video link (
). It's night time here so I can take more photos in a natural light tomorrow too. I don't know the specs of the diamond itself, but I can take a close up of it next to my 0.6 G VVS2 for comparison. It's stamped '750', '030' and '320', so other than that it's 18K white gold, I don't know what the other two numbers mean yet. I'm still learning the etiquette on PS so please do let me know if I should ask the mods to move this post to the Preloved Jewels section!

IMG_1320.jpg IMG_1323.jpg IMG_1324.jpg IMG_1327.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, same with me. The amount I got from the jeweller did provide some buffer money for various expenses and bills. As a first time buyer, I'm realising how expensive it is to keep a house - the winter bills can be high!

Oh, I've got some of those too - sterling silver and jade trinkets given to me as a toddler. I've finally come around to letting those go in my decluttering attempt this time. It's good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, can't wait to feel that relief!

Thanks for the important reminder! I've organised quite a few items to photograph, pack up, etc. this week, but there's still a mountain of things that we've accumulated over the years to go through. I'm trying to stay realistic and remind myself that it's going to be a long process, but so worth it too!

Im a first time home owner too
Our house needs insulation so i know all about those bills
(We have polished floors - no carpet)
Good luck with your house

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the musical necklace.

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
(We have polished floors - no carpet)

Gosh :kiss2: that sounds so nice and easy to clean. We have carpet everywhere here, and our plan is to strip it all off and replace with hard flooring in a few years. Here's to hoping anyway, as it will certainly help to alleviate our dust allergies!

musicalmeow

Rough_Rock
I like the musical necklace.

Thanks so much =)2 I got this from my mother when I was finishing up my grad studies in piano performance, so it's pretty relevant and special.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the pictures and video @musicalmeow, it is an absolutely beautiful pendant. Right up my alley.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results