shape
carat
color
clarity

Lets talk princess cut and the AGA chart

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mgu

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

First, here's my vent: The way local jewelers operate is horrible... I'm not talking about ethics/morals or even sleazy-ness. I'm talking whatever 1 stone they get from their supplier is whats available. I have been strung along enough, waiting for diamonds to arrive at jewelers, that I am really warming up to buying a diamond off the internet. Heck, I buy everything else off the internet...

OK, here's really why I'm posting:

I'm was informed of the following diamond:

D
VS1
5.54 x 5.44 x ?? <I dont have the height at the moment
Depth of 69%
Table of 73.5%

Any opinions on this diamond?

My questions:

Grading CUT of princess cut diamonds: Does an Ideal princess still show the normal 'bow tie' effect (meaning the darker square seen in the center of the diamond)? Local jewelers seem to shy away from opionating on the cut of princess diamonds, so I havent seen a good cut next to a bad cut. I think I have seen a diamond that was cut to shallow, it had zero bow tie but rather had dark points.

Using the AGA charts: I search pricescope by narrow depths and table ranges, then look for caret/color/clarity/square-ness. Does such a search capture a higher # of better cuts or am I missing out? I guess the question is, when looking at the AGA chart, which categories should I give a higher priority.

I'm not looking to buy a 1A ideal, but I sure dont want a 4B. But cut is where I would like to spend a larger % of the total in.

Finally, will an independent appraiser comment on cut or not? (also, any recommendations for the northwest suburbs of chicago?)

Thanks for any info.

Mike

ps: I wish the gfriend wanted a round diamond, it would have been so much easier. :knockout:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mike,

----------------
On 5/21/2002 4:18:53 PM

Hello all,

First, here's my vent: The way local jewelers operate is horrible... I'm not talking about ethics/morals or even sleazy-ness. I'm talking whatever 1 stone they get from their supplier is whats available. I have been strung along enough, waiting for diamonds to arrive at jewelers, that I am really warming up to buying a diamond off the internet. Heck, I buy everything else off the internet...
-----------

. Don't forget to refer to Pricescope :)

----------------
OK, here's really why I'm posting:

I'm was informed of the following diamond:

D
VS1
5.54 x 5.44 x ?? Depth of 69%
Table of 73.5%

Any opinions on this diamond?
-----------

Table and depth numbers look good. Does it have GIA certificate? How about girdle?

You're right fancies are not as easy to choose by numbers as rounds. AGA chart helps to narrow down the search. Than ideally you have to compare diamonds yourself.

[/u][/u][/u]

starfish

Rough_Rock
I feel your pain. Hubby and I decided to upgrade my center princess and the jeweler was getting in one stone at a time. I specifically asked for three to four so I could compare, and gave very close range requirements (crown height, other percentages) and of course color and clarity. I finally became so frustrated after three months of turning down one stone at a time, that I turned to the net. My princess is awesome, the Signature at Blue Nile.com. It was pricier than some, but we/I Loove it! I have some great contacts (Florida, New York) that sell Princesses that are a cut above what you will find in most B&M stores. You can email me at [email protected] and give you info if you want it.:read:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results