shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s talk mattresses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Before I got married, I bought a new queen mattess. It was a Simmons Beautyrest and it was heaven on earth. We used it in our townhome after we got married but when we bought a house, I wanted a king bed. We bought some super pricey, handmade mattress and I hated it. We used it about 2 years, one of which I was pregnant and after I finally realized I couldn''t get comfortable and I couldn''t blame it on pregnancy anymore, I got rid of it. I decided to buy one just like the great Simmon''s one I had before. So I scoped out the local store that sold them, picked it out and then talked my husband into it. Luckilly, compared to the super expensive one, it seemed cheap. So we bought it. I didn''t realize it at the time, but Simmons stopped making double sided pillowtops like my queen mattress so the new one came it was a single sided pillow top. Grrr...

So now it is all lumpy because it can''t be flipped and it is not a square so I can''t even turn it.

Has anyone bought a double sided pillow top recently? Do you have a mattess that you love? If so, who made it? I know lots of people have sleep number beds and with all due respect to the owners, I don''t want one of those. My sister has one and it just doesn''t sound that great and she has had problems with it and the company didn''t stand behind it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just get a very thick foam/mattress pad topper. They sell combined ones that are 2-3 inches of foam & a super padded "pillow top" mattress pad. SO COMFY. We''re still using DH''s queen bed from his old apartment because its the biggest bed that fits in our "nook" -- and my sister knew I thought it was much less comfy than my previous full size super pillow cushy deluxe. She got us the pad as a wedding gift and we''ve used it for the last three years & it makes a WORLD of difference!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco is right that it is best to buy a quality, firm mattress and then add a mattress pad that can be replaced when the material breaks down. I think it is polyethylene that is usually used in those pillow tops, and they always break down.

FYI, the Original Mattress Factory got great consumer reviews in Consumer Reports. We are going there to try out their latex mattresses. They are only in a few states, though.

http://www.originalmattress.com/

Seriously, you have to become a mattress expert to buy a mattress just like you have to come here to learn how to buy a diamond! It''s nowhere near as fun, though!

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased an Original Mattress Factory double sided pillow top mattress (not hugely puffy, though)before I got married. I love it, but DH likes his more puffy mattress better. So, it is currently our guest bed until his mattress dies. We actually had guests last night and they commented how wonderful the mattress was. I specifically looked for the double sided pillow top because I wanted to be able to flip it. No complaints so far!

As for the company, I really enjoyed working with them, too. No complaints there, either. And they had a long period of time where if you wanted a more fluffy or a harder feel, they would take it back (not the box spring, though) and add or remove stuffing (its been a few years, so I know I am simplifying this) to your mattress to the comfort level you wanted.

All in all, I would highly recommend any of their beds, and was very pleased with the customer service, too.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I used to work in mattresses. This was a few years ago and double sided werent being made by any of the companies that we carried. We carried all the major brands and a few smaller ones for a lower price point. The logic behind a single sided one makes sense, but it is true that you cannot flip it. The thinking is that when they are double sided that the core (coils) do not have a stable base which can mean that the coils can shift. With the single sided the coils have a solid base and are more stable therefore the thinking is that it will be comfortable longer and last longer. Simmons beautyrest are very well made mattresses however alot of the price that you are paying is for the name. A Simmons mattress for example only costs $200-$500 to make but they sell for $1500-$2500. Just so you know, it isn''t the salesperson making all the profit. Or even the store. Granted the store and the employee make some, but the company making the mattress gets most of the profit. Think about it, they do 50% off sales and that comes from the vendor. So if they are willing to let them be sold at 1/2 off for a week to a month there is so much profit they don''t mind. I bought a Spring Air brand mattress that costs $999 a much much smaller company and most people have not heard of them. They don''t have that name brand recognition and it has been the best mattress I have ever slept on. It isn''t made the way a Simmons is, but I have had it for about 4 years and I don''t have 1 complaint. Spring Air has gone out of business since then which worried me at first, but there is a company handling the claims. It really is a shame they went out of business because I would have continued to buy that brand for the rest of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results