Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk baby names

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 20, 2013
Messages
4,482
4ever|1454706042|3987342 said:
Sorry I've been a little MIA.

I'm not sure if I like rose as a middle name, it is very girly and very popular for a mn at the moment. I feel like Althea is already very feminine by itself, I wouldn't mind something a bit less girly as a mn.
I am thinking over your other suggestions, nothing is really clicking for me at the moment but I'm waiting for something to grow on me. I am very indecisive. I also go through periods of thinking Althea is a really weird name and other times I'm like " yep, that's totally her name". Urg! This would have been much easier if DH and I had the same taste in names.
My husband and I came to fisticuffs over names. LOL! I loved Max, hated Maxwell. So we named our son Maddox and we call him Max for short. Our daughter's name is Astrid. I love unique names. But holy S*** did we argue for 9 months over them.

One of my very stylish friends named her daughter Darby Rose *********. So classic and elegant. Drooling over that name....
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,748
4ever|1454706042|3987342 said:
Sorry I've been a little MIA.

I'm not sure if I like rose as a middle name, it is very girly and very popular for a mn at the moment. I feel like Althea is already very feminine by itself, I wouldn't mind something a bit less girly as a mn.
I am thinking over your other suggestions, nothing is really clicking for me at the moment but I'm waiting for something to grow on me. I am very indecisive. I also go through periods of thinking Althea is a really weird name and other times I'm like " yep, that's totally her name". Urg! This would have been much easier if DH and I had the same taste in names.
Consider , she doesn't have to have a middle name....if you really get stuck.
I don't think Althea is weird, but I do look at it quickly and think it's something else (Athena? Maybe, I'm not sure) so really think about it if you're have reservations.

So you don't want a girly name to go with her first, sounds like?
 

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
2,260
Thanks Bella, great suggestions!

It's not quite come to blows but I do have to stop name discussions if I get too angry or frustrated.

Niel- I do want her to have a middle name, both DH and I do and like having one. I am also set on her first name, at least 90% of the time we'd call her Thea anyway, which I do love, however Althea has a bit more meaning for us and I do like that it is uncommon. As for middle names, I just don't love combos that are overly floral/frilly/girly. I also probably prioritise good name flow ahead of having a really great middle name - my middle name is common but sounds really good with my first name, which I like.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,748
4ever|1454867001|3988054 said:
Thanks Bella, great suggestions!

It's not quite come to blows but I do have to stop name discussions if I get too angry or frustrated.

Niel- I do want her to have a middle name, both DH and I do and like having one. I am also set on her first name, at least 90% of the time we'd call her Thea anyway, which I do love, however Althea has a bit more meaning for us and I do like that it is uncommon. As for middle names, I just don't love combos that are overly floral/frilly/girly. I also probably prioritise good name flow ahead of having a really great middle name - my middle name is common but sounds really good with my first name, which I like.
Based on those last comments Louise is my favorite.
Althea Louise has a spunky flow, though decidedly female, not overly feminine. It's popular now but not overly so. Althea Louise, Thea Louise, Thea Lou, mix and match how you like there.

Gold luck finding something
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
Okay, so I want to run a name by you. DH's grandpa's name was Chester, and he'd like to use it as a middle name, which is fine. I'm a direct descendant of Nathaniel Rochester, who founded Rochester, NY. So I was thinking what about Rochester for a first name? I like the preppiness, it takes something from both sides of our family, and sounds good with our last name. Thoughts?
 

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
2,035
amc80|1455297736|3990218 said:
Okay, so I want to run a name by you. DH's grandpa's name was Chester, and he'd like to use it as a middle name, which is fine. I'm a direct descendant of Nathaniel Rochester, who founded Rochester, NY. So I was thinking what about Rochester for a first name? I like the preppiness, it takes something from both sides of our family, and sounds good with our last name. Thoughts?
I like it as long as you don't mind having 2 kids end with -er and you're fine with the nn Rocky.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,748
amc80|1455297736|3990218 said:
Okay, so I want to run a name by you. DH's grandpa's name was Chester, and he'd like to use it as a middle name, which is fine. I'm a direct descendant of Nathaniel Rochester, who founded Rochester, NY. So I was thinking what about Rochester for a first name? I like the preppiness, it takes something from both sides of our family, and sounds good with our last name. Thoughts?
I like Rochester more than Chester, as a have a negative slogan that goes along with that name.

I agree hell be called rocky so you'll have to be OK with that
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
The K names remind me that I know a Kedan (key-din is how it sounds).
 

April20

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
3,312
I like Rochester!

Chester is my dog's name. I will never be able to hear that name without thinking of it as a dog's name. :)
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
Still on the name hunt. Well, I am; DH is stuck on Hudson. I was thinking about Blake and how much I love it. DH mentioned he likes it as well. The only drawback is it sounds sort of clunky with our last name. But, do I really care? If the options are great sounding name that I like, vs. eh sounding name that I love, I think I'd rather go for the name I love. Just need to convince DH.
 

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
2,035
Blake is now considered an unisex name. Are you ok with that?
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
SMC|1460405006|4018025 said:
Blake is now considered an unisex name. Are you ok with that?
I'll need to take a look at the new SSA name list when it comes out next month, to see what's happened over the past year. Blake was given to 4913 boys in 2014, and 499 girls; so it's still a boy name by 10:1. I'm okay with that.
 

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
2,035
amc80|1460405310|4018028 said:
SMC|1460405006|4018025 said:
Blake is now considered an unisex name. Are you ok with that?
I'll need to take a look at the new SSA name list when it comes out next month, to see what's happened over the past year. Blake was given to 4913 boys in 2014, and 499 girls; so it's still a boy name by 10:1. I'm okay with that.
Oh good, then you should use it. If you like it and aren't bothered by the way it sounds with your last name, then go for it. I guess the Blake that comes to mind for me right is Blake Lively, but I'm not sure how much of a staying power she will have as your son grows up.
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
SMC|1460413118|4018082 said:
amc80|1460405310|4018028 said:
SMC|1460405006|4018025 said:
Blake is now considered an unisex name. Are you ok with that?
I'll need to take a look at the new SSA name list when it comes out next month, to see what's happened over the past year. Blake was given to 4913 boys in 2014, and 499 girls; so it's still a boy name by 10:1. I'm okay with that.
Oh good, then you should use it. If you like it and aren't bothered by the way it sounds with your last name, then go for it. I guess the Blake that comes to mind for me right is Blake Lively, but I'm not sure how much of a staying power she will have as your son grows up.
I think if it were up to me, I'd use it...but obviously DH gets a say :)

Have you ever been on a date with someone who is perfect on paper, and then you meet them and there's no chemistry? And you feel like you really should be into that person, but you're just not? That's how I feel about Hudson.
 

April20

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
3,312
AMC, I like Blake a lot. I think it goes well with your other boys' names.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,748
Blake Hudson might be a nice compromise
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
Niel said:
Blake Hudson might be a nice compromise

I really like that as well! DH wants to use his grandpa's name for a middle name, though. Which is also another reason I think new should use my first choice for the first.
 

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
2,873
amc, I do still think of, and prefer, Blake as a boy name, but my cousin has a three year old daughter they call Blake, although her legal name is Blakely. I say if you like the name, and your DH will agree, than you should use it, as long as it works with your last name. Different issue, but I struggled so much at the end of my pregnancy with the twins wondering whether I should use the names I was planning on because they were both getting more and more popular, but in the end, I just went with them because they were the names I liked best. If you keep coming back to it, maybe it's the right one. Good luck. Naming people is hard.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,748
amc80|1460488448|4018406 said:
Niel said:
Blake Hudson might be a nice compromise

I really like that as well! DH wants to use his grandpa's name for a middle name, though. Which is also another reason I think new should use my first choice for the first.
Is that still Rochester? Or was that something else??
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,748
I think Harvey goes well with the name. Harvey Chester [email protected]

I'm not sure Blake goes with it. But you don't care that much, i know. And that's OK. It doesn't have to, really. I just mention it.
 

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
2,035
amc80|1460498193|4018480 said:
Niel said:
Is that still Rochester? Or was that something else??
Just Chester.
Initials would be BCC then? Not that it's bad or anything, but it's a well-established acronym.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,748
I was watching the good dinosaur today and though Arlo went will with your last name and other children's name
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
Niel|1460918191|4020499 said:
I was watching the good dinosaur today and though Arlo went will with your last name and other children's name
Just saw this. Man, that's a sad movie. Arlo really isn't our style, but thanks for the suggestion!

I think I'm slowly making progress on getting DH off of Hudson. Our list is getting bigger, not smaller, which I find amusing. It's something like this:

Hudson
Dawson
Blake
Greyson/Grayson
Gunner/Gunnar
Nash

If I had to guess, I would put my money on Blake. But it might end up being a game day decision.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,748
amc80|1463596713|4033266 said:
Niel|1460918191|4020499 said:
I was watching the good dinosaur today and though Arlo went will with your last name and other children's name
Just saw this. Man, that's a sad movie. Arlo really isn't our style, but thanks for the suggestion!

I think I'm slowly making progress on getting DH off of Hudson. Our list is getting bigger, not smaller, which I find amusing. It's something like this:

Hudson
Dawson
Blake
Greyson/Grayson
Gunner/Gunnar
Nash

If I had to guess, I would put my money on Blake. But it might end up being a game day decision.
Nash I think sounds best of the ones that don't end in son. I don't like names ending in son so I can't help there.

I don't like waiting until the baby is here, but sometimes it's just the best option. That's what we ended up doing with W.
 

Christopher6

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 16, 2016
Messages
5
I think these are good names for boys
Justin
Taylor
Jake
Aaliyah
For Girls thyese name would be good.
Ammy
Cadena
Caitlin
 

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
2,035
amc, are you getting closer to a name yet? One suggestion I had to add to your list - Campbell. Like the soup.
 

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
5,765
SMC said:
amc, are you getting closer to a name yet? One suggestion I had to add to your list - Campbell. Like the soup.
I think Campbell is cute! So, of course, DH vetoed it.

I'm fairly sure we will go with Cooper.
 

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
2,035
amc80|1466552008|4046444 said:
SMC said:
amc, are you getting closer to a name yet? One suggestion I had to add to your list - Campbell. Like the soup.
I think Campbell is cute! So, of course, DH vetoed it.

I'm fairly sure we will go with Cooper.
Cool! Did you ever watch that 90s show "Hangin' with Mr Cooper"? That's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I hear that name. I used to love that show.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top