shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about the Oscar slap...

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He needs to be given a medal for in this day and age acting like a real man. Delivered the message loud and clear but did not over deliver it.
Then crying about it so take the medal away.
:shock:
I would have loved to see him try slap someone like Terry Cruz.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will Smith actions were extremely inappropriate and out of line. Chris Rock is a comedian. I don't think he meant any I'll will toward Jada... especially comparing her to GI JANE. AS @mrs-b said....GI Jane was a bad azzz and extremely beautiful and feminine... So not sure how that was an insult and why Jada would take a offence It First place. Comedy is done in good fun...nothing more, nothing less. It's comedy. I'm disappointed in Will's behavior and as mentioned earlier how can you curse someone out slap them and then say you are an instrument of LOVE. Then publicly apologize to the Academy and not the person you assaulted. Hypocrite. smh.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it." - - from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
images.jpeg

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe that @kenny hasn't started a thread on this yet ...

Thanks for thinking of me.
I am an attention-whore.

I do go out of my way to check out and consider seeing films that won awards like best picture or best cinematography - but usually that will be for anything from decades ago.
95% of what Hollywood produces, including their "stars", doesn't interest me.
I google up films with people like Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, directed by Jane Campion, or produced by Merchant Ivory.

So much of Hollywood's recent output is just garbage, which is perfect for much of society today. :nono:
Perhaps I'm just too old.
For all I care, the whole lot can slap each other silly.
It'll save me the trouble. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
more fun than just saing it was 100% staged.

I actually still don't think it was, but I think I'd feel better if it were. I'd rather it be done to get attention for the event, than to think that Will Smith thinks he can assault someone publicly like that and get away with it with no repercussions (which he may). Not that I think it's an acceptable way to get attention for the event.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for thinking of me.
I am an attention-whore.

I do go out of my way to check out and consider seeing films that won awards like best picture or best cinematography - but usually that will be for anything from decades ago.
95% of what Hollywood produces, including their "stars", doesn't interest me.
I google up films with people like Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith, directed by Jane Campion, or produced by Merchant Ivory.

So much of Hollywood's recent output is just garbage, which is perfect for much of society today. :nono:
Perhaps I'm just too old.
For all I care, the whole lot can slap each other silly.
It'll save me the trouble. :mrgreen:

Did you like The Remains of the Day? Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure it wasn't staged. The LAPD released a statement that Chris Rock wasn't pressing charges. Even tho he wasn't, they had clearly been drawn into it.

Not staged.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you like The Remains of the Day? Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Loved it!
When searching for films to watch Emma Thompson, Julianne Moore, and Vanessa Redgrave are three other actresses I look for.
Part of it is their excellent acting, but another part is this ... if they are part of a project it's probably one that interests me and is what I consider to be high quality.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just distasteful and inappropriate - staged or not. It just amazes me how low people can stoop for either attention or retribution. It is physical assault on the stage of the Academy Awards - how disgusting!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so now that I have more info, it looks like it was not an act.
Will Smith was worked up over the joke about his wife. He decided to act a fool, and disrupt the show.
Chris Rock was doing his job as a comedian, just like all the comics before him. Taking pot shots at other celebrities, as expected.

And Will Smith overshadowed the whole show and all the other winners with his antics.
So now the Oscars were all about him.
I wonder how much damage he did to his career.

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this thread is about Will Smith smacking Chris Rock, but I just want to mention a higher point in the Oscars Ceremony. The kindness and gentleness Lady Gaga showed Liza Minnelli. Lady Gaga pushed Liza out in a wheelchair to announce Best Picture. Liza was clearly struggling and Lady Gaga, the epitome of professionalism and kindness tells Liza, “I got you.” To which Liza whispers, “I know, thank you.”

Sorry to derail.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just distasteful and inappropriate - staged or not. It just amazes me how low people can stoop for either attention or retribution. It is physical assault on the stage of the Academy Awards - how disgusting!!

Exactly my sentiments, but said so much more succinctly! Thank you!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this thread is about Will Smith smacking Chris Rock, but I just want to mention a higher point in the Oscars Ceremony. The kindness and gentleness Lady Gaga showed Liza Minnelli. Lady Gaga pushed Liza out in a wheelchair to announce Best Picture. Liza was clearly struggling and Lady Gaga, the epitome of professionalism and kindness tells Liza, “I got you.” To which Liza whispers, “I know, thank you.”

Sorry to derail.

Yes! This is what I mean. We should be talking about the other highlights of the Oscars! But Will Smith stole the show.
I'm glad you mentioned this, @Bonfire

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry to derail.

Yes and showing show much class when previously that evening, so little was shown.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww.
Thanks Matata. :kiss2:

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
The fact that Jada is gorgeous doesn’t make the remark less offensive either.

Exactly. It's one thing to be a comedian and another to make fun of people based on diseases that they have no control over, much less prevent.

And the fact that she overcame it enough on her own to laugh at herself and make the best out of it, which is all credit to her and none of CR's doing, doesn't mean that it's okay for anyone to laugh at her.

Imagine if he tried the same joke on a male paralympic athlete - no one would bother defending him. No idea why women's health conditions are still available up there as "joke" fodder.

I don't think WS was 100% in the right for slapping him, but have no sympathy and give no brownie points to CR - he played bitch games and (finally) won a bitch prize

HGar

Shiny_Rock
* Chris Rock had already rehearsed the joke in front of the audience and gotten no reaction.
* Will Smith laughed at the joke, Jada Pinkett Smith rolled her eyes then the camera cut away to show back to Chris Rock on stage.
* Jada had already compared herself to GI Jane some weeks ago on social media when she was discussing her hair loss (which is only a small portion of her scalp in a line - she intentionally shaves the rest)

Will Smith acted like a fool. Would he have slapped a woman comedian? One of the female presenters had already poked fun at the Smith's "open marriage" - no slapping happened then?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This being a joke is officially off the table. Will Smith issued a public apology today to Chris Rock, The Academy and everyone who watched the show.

Chris Rock’s joke about Jada Pinkett Smith was cruel. He acted like a bully. It’s been well documented that Jada suffers from Alopecia.

Will Smith should have acted like an adult and had a private conversation with Chris Rock after the show and kept his hands to himself. There is no excuse for hitting someone. I was surprised Smith wasn’t asked to leave the show.

It was so touching to watch Lady Gaga with Liza Minelli.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw the unedited version and after he returned to his seat, he shouted to Christ Rock twice “Keep my wife’s name out of your f—ing mouth.” He should have just done that in the first place instead of resorting to physical battery.

I think Christ Rock should file a police report and pursue criminal charges and let Will Smith deal with it in criminal court.

That being said, I think it may have been staged as Chris Rock didn’t try to avoid the slap at ALL given that it took Will Smith some time to walk on stage towards him and is almost leaning towards Will Smith right before the slap.

ETA: a photo I found on IG

Im kinda shocked some people got an edited version.
I thought we all got the same thing ?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a little background so you can understand my perspective. I have scaring alopecia from lupus. Luckily, I am blessed to have very thick hair (thank you Italian genes), and so far treatment has controlled the hair loss (Thank God!). I don't know what will happen in the future. Perhaps I'll need to shave my head or sport some cool wigs. I just take it one day at a time.

Alopecia is an emotionally devastating disease, and I applaud Jada for being open and rocking a shaved head. She looks amazing. I don't think Chris Rock knew about her autoimmune disease, and I didn't find the joke offensive. As @mrs-b said, GI Jane is a bad a**. I personally would have just rolled with it.

I think her husband's violent response was completely out of line. Since she's open about her condition, he could have addressed the joke publicly after his acceptance speech, or confronted Chris Rock privately. It was handled very poorly.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Sorry to derail.

I would have enjoyed seeing that. I especially enjoyed the 60 minutes segment when Lady Gaga sang with Tony Bennett who is suffering with Alzheimer's disease. I do not know much about her music but I am of the opinion that she is a classy lady.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results