shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's See Some 3 Stones: Low Setting!

mjc1

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, new user here. I am in the market for a 3 stone engagement ring for my long time gal and am having difficulty finding an off the shelf setting I like. I have no problem going custom and have drawn a few ideas, however I am looking for more inspiration.

I am especially interested in photos of those rings you consider to have "lower" settings. Side-view shots would be really helpful.

So far the specifics I am looking for (though hardly matters for photos since I am just trying to get an idea):

- 1.15ct center (already have this stone)
- .25ct side
- 14k yellow
- Simple band, no pave or other stones other than the three
- Lower setting with more of a "curve" from band>side>center>side>band rather than prominence

Thanks in advance!
Matt

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Welcome! I'm a fan of three-stone rings as well; I had one made for my wife for her engagement ring. I don't know if hers counts as a low setting, but here you go.

With three-stone rings (or any ring, really) it is important to consider not just carat but spread; carat means the weight, but stones increase in weight faster than spread.

This ring is a .64 center with .36 sides. However, the center stone is 5.5 mm and the sides are 4.5 mm. So the sides are 4/5 the size of the center even though they're roughly half the weight.

The shank on her ring is 2 mm if that helps with your planning at all! :read:

_4779.jpeg

_4780.jpeg

_4781.jpeg

mjc1

Rough_Rock
Very good looking ring! From what I can tell on the pics, it does seem one of the lower settings Ive seen.

When I say .25 for the sides I mostly mean in the vicinity of 4mm diam. The center stone I have is cut somewhat shallow so it sits more like a 1.25, 7mm. I think that will produce nice proportion to one another.

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
This looks great. I absolutely love it!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SirGuy|1468546683|4055605 said:
Welcome! I'm a fan of three-stone rings as well; I had one made for my wife for her engagement ring. I don't know if hers counts as a low setting, but here you go.

With three-stone rings (or any ring, really) it is important to consider not just carat but spread; carat means the weight, but stones increase in weight faster than spread.

This ring is a .64 center with .36 sides. However, the center stone is 5.5 mm and the sides are 4.5 mm. So the sides are 4/5 the size of the center even though they're roughly half the weight.

The shank on her ring is 2 mm if that helps with your planning at all! :read:

That sparkle is amazing! How much was this beauty?

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
pinkgem2522, thanks for the comment! Here is the original proposal/sharing thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ight-my-3-stone-engagement-ring-story.204964/

CravingDiamonds, thanks for the comment! I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing the exact figure, but I will say it was competitively priced, especially given that it's a smaller B&M. For similar shopping, the ring is platinum, and the stones are respectively a .64 E, .36 E, and .36 F. All are graded AGS0. The ring was a custom job but as you can see, it is unembellished and therefore didn't have the added expense of pavé, milgrain, etc.

mjc1, I will bug my better half this weekend and see if I can take some photos of it on a side view to give a better idea of how low the setting is. Here are a few more random happy snaps I already had on the phone! Enjoy and I hope it helps a little with some inspiration for your FI! :wavey:

_4790.jpeg

_4791.jpeg

_4792.jpeg

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
DS, nice links for him! If I had gone with a stock setting, that second WF one you posted was a contender!

mjc1, they are worth considering for sure. As requested, I took her ring out for some side profile shots if it helps at all! :wavey:

Please excuse the dirty fingernails! :lol:

_4812.jpeg

_4813.jpeg

_4814.jpeg

_4815.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case it is helpful, here's a profile shot of my 3-stone ring (4.5mm / 6.2mm / 4.5mm), which I find very low-profile and sleek:

dsc04612__--__xxx.jpg

mjc1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the options!

Sirguy and marymm, any chance you could measure from the top of the center stone straight down to the underside of the band? Wondering how high off the finger the center stone sits.

Thanks

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1468779255|4056368 said:
In case it is helpful, here's a profile shot of my 3-stone ring (4.5mm / 6.2mm / 4.5mm), which I find very low-profile and sleek:

dsc04612__--__xxx.jpg

Marymm -

Would you be able to post a few more photos of your 3 stone? I'm thinking of doing one with similar proportions but have wondered how it would look. Any photos or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ mrs-blop, from the profile it isn't obvious, but the two side-stones are actually cushion-cut diamonds, and they are bezelled (with inner rim milgrain) while the center stone is a prong-set round brilliant. The shank tapers in slightly as it reaches the side-stones.

SPECS:
Center stone = 0.90ct round brilliant, 6.2mm x 3.83mm depth
Side stones = 1.02tcw cushion-cuts, 4.6mm x 3.30mm depth
Ring size 7 (platinum)

Per your request, here are a few more shots:

dsc04618__--__xx__--__ps.jpg

dsc04581__--__xx__--_ps.jpg

dsc04613__--__xx__--_ps.jpg

dsc04621__--__xx__--__ps.jpg

I really love these proportions; to my eyes, it is blingy yet still understated and extremely wearable in terms of comfort and durability.

Hope this info and the pics helps you with your project, mrs-blop. Please do let me know if you have more questions, and I look forward to following your 3-stone journey!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
marymm - Your ring is gorgeous. I love the bezels and the height of the ring. Stunning!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Marymm, Love your three stone! Who made it?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1468855880|4056679 said:
^ mrs-blop, from the profile it isn't obvious, but the two side-stones are actually cushion-cut diamonds, and they are bezelled (with inner rim milgrain) while the center stone is a prong-set round brilliant. The shank tapers in slightly as it reaches the side-stones.

SPECS:
Center stone = 0.90ct round brilliant, 6.2mm x 3.83mm depth
Side stones = 1.02tcw cushion-cuts, 4.6mm x 3.30mm depth
Ring size 7 (platinum)

Per your request, here are a few more shots:

dsc04618__--__xx__--__ps.jpg

dsc04581__--__xx__--_ps.jpg

dsc04613__--__xx__--_ps.jpg

dsc04621__--__xx__--__ps.jpg

I really love these proportions; to my eyes, it is blingy yet still understated and extremely wearable in terms of comfort and durability.

Hope this info and the pics helps you with your project, mrs-blop. Please do let me know if you have more questions, and I look forward to following your 3-stone journey!

Thank you so much - that's a fascinating design - I'd be staring at it all day! And I love those proportions, too. Just lovely! :appl:

ETA And - yes! - If you don't mind sharing - who did make it? Those bezels are lovely and fine!

mjc1

Rough_Rock
Well this is what I finally settled on.

It is a design I based on a Ritani setting that I liked. I Photoshopped the original to lower the setting significantly, move the side stones outward, less vertical flare on the sides of the band, and a few other tweaks etc. The jeweler threw it in CAD, we had a little back and forth, and got it spot on.

Center: 1.21ct, H, VS1
Sides: .25ct ea, G, VS2
Band: 14k

Here are a few pics, without any knowledge of how to make the ring look fancy ;-) Hopefully it will be on someone else's finger within the month!

20160812_163154-1.jpg

20160812_163240.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful - congrats on a job well done! I am sure she will love it!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Matt you did a great job! That ring is gorgeous! She will love it! :love: please come back with hand shots.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results