shape
carat
color
clarity

Let''s play Pick a Pup!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Somethingshiny- From reading your posts I''m not sure if you want a family dog (pet) or a working dog. You seem to want a family dog (good with kids) but want to treat it like a working dog (sleep in basement) because that is how you are used to treating dogs. It''s very confusing and it will be confusing to the dog. Honestly, with a 3 year old you are going to want a dog with a reputation for being gentle with children. But most of those dogs want to be with people and would be sad to spend a lot of time alone. Now I realize you are only planning on having him sleep alone, but based on your other comments it doesn''t seem like you will want to treat your dog like part of the family (not his mother).

Your posts really sound like you don''t really like dogs at all. The comment about stinky dogs. When is it the dog''s fault he stinks instead of the owner who isn''t grooming him? It seems like you don''t really like dogs but want your son to. Unfortunately if you don''t model affection for a dog your son probably isn''t going to be affectionate either.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Happyfeet~ I respect your opinion.

We still haven''t decided IF we are getting a dog yet. But, yes, to me any pet will be JUST a pet. You can''t live on a farm for years and years, slaughter animals, hunt for food, etc and believe animals are your "babies". If our son doesn''t like the dog/get along with it/etc (which I don''t see happening if we take the time to find the right breed, temperment, etc) then we would put the dog back up for adoption. Is it ideal? No. But, I think anyone with children is putting themselves in that situation whether they identify it or not. My child will ALWAYS come first. Being well aware of that will help us make the best decision for our family.

And, as I''ve stated previously. I depended on the dogs growing up for dinner. I doubt many people can say they''ve put that much faith into their pet. And, when you lose an animal that is truly your meal ticket (and gets killed trying to fetch you some supper), it hurts in a way that you will never know. SO, if I decide that I''m going to keep any dog at an arm''s distance, that''s my choice.

I am not looking to get an animal to love as I would a child. I''m looking to get an animal to increase my child''s love.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
And of course, I respect your opinion as well. But, my fiance did grow up on a farm. Slaughtered steers, pigs, the whole bit. And our lab is his, and he probably loves him more than I do. That''s beside the point. Growing up my parents got my brother and I a dog. To be honest, neither of use were interested in the dog at all. I just don''t think really small kids care that much. That''s the only reason I worry about the dog in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results