shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's play a game... rainbow gems.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Since no one has replied with purple, let me try to fill the gap with an array of colours from my fun-filled visit to a local jeweller. There is big ametrine
and a pink pad in the photo, so that should take us to red again. I must say the sapphire and aquamarine look very tempting!
64DA2002-0DBC-4B4D-B847-551B41EC5522.jpeg

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Crimson plzzzzzzzzzzzzz show me the padparadscha more closely?

Ever since Bestie bought one I've been obsessed with them!

Ooh lucky bestie!, @mellowyellowgirl I have only this photo of the because I was too busy chatting and being asked to try this and that. I can understand the lure of padparadscha. I shall take a better photo for you the next time I go there. Meantime, here are links to two padparadscha rings in their online shop.

Jazz Age Monument Padparadscha Ring (price is in Singapore dollars)

Mirissan Dawn Padparadscha Sapphire Ring

I think this padparadscha on StarLanka is rather nice!

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Can I do pink & blue?

s-l1600.jpg

This specimen arrived today. The pic is from the seller but those colours are accurate. The pink crystals are spinel, but I don't know what the blue mineral is, possibly some kind of feldspathoid.

It's that beautiful mix of colours that did it for me on this one. It's almost like crystalline art!

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Well, I've just been chatting to another mineral collector on IG, and after perusing Wikipedia and other sites, the most likely suspect for the blue mineral in that specimen is hauyne. Hardness is about right (around 5) and the lighter greenish/teal bits of it fluoresce a purplish-pink under my LW UV light source. It looks like the other related feldspathoid minerals like sodalite, lazurite, nosean and afghanite tend to have orange fluorescence.

It's a wonderful colour combo!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Did someone say red! Here’s my new-to-me platinum cluster setting found on eBay with newly mounted Mozambique rubies. Thanks DK! image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• EBB2D457-797E-4A31-9876-78040FE200D9.jpeg
    EBB2D457-797E-4A31-9876-78040FE200D9.jpeg
    768.9 KB · Views: 2
  • D0E3E505-865F-4F7C-8D04-281BC31E27A1.jpeg
    D0E3E505-865F-4F7C-8D04-281BC31E27A1.jpeg
    718.1 KB · Views: 3

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Can I do pink & blue?

s-l1600.jpg

This specimen arrived today. The pic is from the seller but those colours are accurate. The pink crystals are spinel, but I don't know what the blue mineral is, possibly some kind of feldspathoid.

It's that beautiful mix of colours that did it for me on this one. It's almost like crystalline art!

@Nick_G It is utterly delightful!
I can’t help imagining and wondering about how it developed.
The colours are so pleasing and pretty, like a sky or drapes of silk.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Such luscious rubies and attractive geometry! What were the original stones, @Mrsz1ppy? The rubies look as if they belong there, they are so snugly fitted.

I wish I knew. It was just the setting I bought. It took me a year to find matching stones. I just love low settings, so I always look for unloved ones whose stones were removed. My original thought was opalescent sapphires, but I couldn’t get the different sizes I needed.

Thank you.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
@Nick_G It is utterly delightful!
I can’t help imagining and wondering about how it developed.
The colours are so pleasing and pretty, like a sky or drapes of silk.

Thanks Crimson.

I forgot to mention that it's from the Kokcha Valley in Badakhshan Province in NE Afghanistan.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
For orange.

The benitoite bug still lingers. Here's my relatively large and nice colored orange. You get a good sense of the color across the images and video. One photo shows it alongside 2,5mm friends from a color set. Last two pics show the pleochroism - I love the pinker axis. I currently also have a few benitoite-in-matrix cabochons on the way...
GIA recently published a short write-up on the orange material since they analyzed the largest they've seen at 2.29ct:
I was informed that part of the reason the heating of these is so limited (other than the fact that you need very clean colorless material and an appetite for risk) is the fellow who did most them and knew how to do it best passed some years ago.

Sorry for the ramble, yellow is next.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
This is one of my favorite threads, so bumping. Anyone have a yellow to share?
I WOULD have a great yellow by now if things went my way, but they didn't.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of my favorite threads, so bumping. Anyone have a yellow to share?
I WOULD have a great yellow by now if things went my way, but they didn't.

Here is a yellow but it is not mine.just trying to keep things going with a lush piece from one of my parents’ fav jewellers
the Grand Plush necklace featuring a 10 ct yellow Sri Lankan sapphire and 1944 diamonds, from BP De Silva in Singapore.
DD80B7BE-3D00-467E-A8E8-70380A433C25.jpeg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results