shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's play a game... rainbow gems.

OK, so here's a rainbow gem - rainbow lattice sunstone. You can call this any colour you like. Actual size is about 12x9mm.
RainbowLatticeSunstone.jpg

Strictly, it's moonstone (orthoclase feldspar), but it's marketed as rainbow lattice sunstone. It is found only in Harts Range, Northern Territory, Australia. The inclusions are long, very thin crystals of magnetite and hematite, which are oriented to the crystal axes of the moonstone. The iridescent colours are produced by interference, because the inclusions are so thin (sub-micron).

Those who dare can read about it here (serious geek alert!): https://ejm.copernicus.org/articles/34/183/2022/ejm-34-183-2022.pdf

If you are thinking of buying some, be aware that to see the colours, you need the stone and the lighting at just the right angle, so it's more a collector's stone than something you would wear. In any case, feldspar is a bit soft, hardness 6.

Well, technically we were at red buuuut you could say the rainbow sunstone above allows you to post whatever colour you wish :bigsmile: (Like in that card game, crazy 8s).

Oh, OK then :mrgreen:

Demantoid Soghan, Kerman Province, Iran 002.JPGDemantoid Soghan, Kerman Province, Iran 005.JPGDemantoid Soghan, Kerman Province, Iran 009.JPG

It's a large specimen of vivid green andradite var. demantoid from Soghan, Arzuiyeh County, Kerman Province, Iran. You can really tell that chromium is responsible for that colour! This could actually be described as emerald green.

Typically the few specimens I've seen for sale from this deposit are thumbnail sized. That one is 111 mm long by 67 mm wide by 40 mm deep and weighs about 430 grams!

Last edited:
Oh, OK then :mrgreen:

Demantoid Soghan, Kerman Province, Iran 002.JPGDemantoid Soghan, Kerman Province, Iran 005.JPGDemantoid Soghan, Kerman Province, Iran 009.JPG

It's a large specimen of vivid green andradite var. demantoid from Soghan, Arzuiyeh County, Kerman Province, Iran. You can really tell that chromium is responsible for that colour! This could actually be described as emerald green.

Typically the few specimens I've seen for sale from this deposit are thumbnail sized. That one is 111 mm long by 67 mm wide by 40 mm deep and weighs about 430 grams!

Wow! This has to be the greenest green post ever. I especially like the backlit glowing green in the second picture.

OK, so here's a rainbow gem - rainbow lattice sunstone. You can call this any colour you like. Actual size is about 12x9mm.
RainbowLatticeSunstone.jpg

Strictly, it's moonstone (orthoclase feldspar), but it's marketed as rainbow lattice sunstone. It is found only in Harts Range, Northern Territory, Australia. The inclusions are long, very thin crystals of magnetite and hematite, which are oriented to the crystal axes of the moonstone. The iridescent colours are produced by interference, because the inclusions are so thin (sub-micron).

Those who dare can read about it here (serious geek alert!): https://ejm.copernicus.org/articles/34/183/2022/ejm-34-183-2022.pdf

If you are thinking of buying some, be aware that to see the colours, you need the stone and the lighting at just the right angle, so it's more a collector's stone than something you would wear. In any case, feldspar is a bit soft, hardness 6.

I have always had a soft spot for lattice sunstone, and that's a seriously beautiful one! May I ask where you purchased it? Etsy vendor Carey Robbins ("Lapicarey") used to have some fabulous material. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago after a short battle with ALS. I still mourn him... poor guy.

Cute little tiny icy blue spinel from Burma. It is not shifty whatsoever, I'm really surprised by that. Gives off tons of white sparkle. It was gifted by a vendor:dance:20221016_133558.jpg

I have always had a soft spot for lattice sunstone, and that's a seriously beautiful one! May I ask where you purchased it? Etsy vendor Carey Robbins ("Lapicarey") used to have some fabulous material. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago after a short battle with ALS. I still mourn him... poor guy.
I'm ashamed to say I bought it from a B&M store. Thow me off PS! The story I was told is that one of their suppliers is a part-owner of the mine site. This first ones I was shown were not so good. I asked whether they had for a better one. This one is claimed to be older, 'from the dealer's private collection'. Make of that what you will...

FWIW, most stones I see online now are pretty low quality, compared to what I used to see. I get the impression either that top quality is mined out, or else that the good stones go straight to insiders...

Mine looks great in the photo, but IRL the strips are a bit too narrow to see well. A nice pattern like mine, but with wider stripes, would be better.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Isn't thank pretty, @CBianco?! Will you set him? If so, how? :geek2: PURPLE is next!

I hope you all (in the USA) have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Gobble gobble,
Autumn

charlie-brown-thanksgiving.gif

I will set him eventually, no idea yet how. It's at the back of the list unfortunately, I've got quite a number of gems that I'm eager to set first!

Happy Thanksgiving to you (and all of PS) too!=)2

I'm ashamed to say I bought it from a B&M store. Thow me off PS!

Out... out immediately!
police_fight.gif
tee hee Seriously though, sometimes you can find a treasure in those smaller jewelry boutiques. Folks sells inherited pieces all the time, and have no idea what they are or what they're worth. Anyway, great find! I've wanted one of those stones for a while. It looks like holographic ribbon running throughout the stone... so enchanting.

Funny you should say that. I posted those pics in a mineral chat room the other day and I got the same comment - that it looked like gemmy broccoli. :lol-2:

Weeeeeell... to be honest... that's precisely what I thought as well when I firsts saw it. Only at the time my brain wasn't working and all it could come up with was "green cauliflower" so I decided to hold my tongue. :knockout:

@Nick_G what a glorious jelly-like green. It reminded me of a Southeast dessert called cendol. Below is a pic from https://mykitchen101en.com/how-to-make-cendol-jellies/ and here are pics the dessert made with the cendol. https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/cendol-iced-malaysian-dessert/

On to the next colour of the rainbow - purple/indigo. @CBianco ’s pic of the freebie spinel reminded me of the purple-indigo heart freebie I received. F6892FC1-AF95-466C-A67F-A2CAEEA634C5.jpeg
05D0271E-E4EA-437D-82A1-09AB930B9203.jpeg

Hi Crimson. Yes it is a bit like that. In daylight the shades of green match the greens from grass, and leaves, so a very natural palette from vibrant spring to late summer darker greens. In artificial light the specimen looks closer to emerald green, and that gets amplified more under those energy-saving compact fluorescent bulbs for some reason.

That's a deeply delicious spinel!

In daylight the shades of green match the greens from grass, and leaves, so a very natural palette from vibrant spring to late summer darker greens. In artificial light the specimen looks closer to emerald green, and that gets amplified more under those energy-saving compact fluorescent bulbs for some reason.
@Nick_G what a pleasure it must be to see all those variations :kiss2:

@CircularBrilliant Such lovely fluorescence in sunlight! :cool2:

RED finally! My new ring fr Alexander Laut.
16E85C1F-27BE-40F1-A2FD-D5B5C544BB0B.jpeg

Omg that's gorgeous!!! It's such a lovely pure red!!!!!

Haha I was actually thinking about you the other day when I was scrolling his page. Was wondering what you wanted to buy!!!

I'm excited to be able to play again! I think pink/red are next -- here's my winza ruby :)

I was so hoping she'd make an appearance on our "porch!" Can't wait to see what you and Inken do with the mounting. :cheeky:

"This girl is on firrrrrre!" S t u n n i n g. I need to know more, much more, my friend!! And your heart spinel is way too nice to be a freebie. :praise:

i just want to say with Auntumn having the de-stash to fund a new fleet
i want to see everything that's now for sale getting a moment on the porch before they go to new homes

Why did you have to blind me so? I can't see! Halp!

Haha, @Avondale It was taken in bright light. It is less blinding under usual conditions.
Omg that's gorgeous!!! It's such a lovely pure red!!!!!

Haha I was actually thinking about you the other day when I was scrolling his page. Was wondering what you wanted to buy!!!
@mellowyellowgirl this isn’t the one I was considering. I bought this at UltraLuxe when he was here in Singapore. The other ring is still in the US - but maybe I don’t want that one any more!
This girl is on firrrrrre!" S t u n n i n g. I need to know more, much more, my friend!! And your heart spinel is way too nice to be a freebie. :praise:
@Autumn in New England, the stones are red spinels, and you and others have probably guessed. They look a friendlier, more berry red indoors or in the shade. It is very hard to take accurate photos of the stones!
This is in the shade in the day. I can’t seem to capture the jelly-ish crystal brillance of the stones. Somehow my phone camera makes things look flatter and darker.
74E63EAE-C800-41B7-AE1E-B3EA23B2ECBF.jpeg
Indoors at night
E9C069C6-18D1-4BDF-89E3-6568F62B896F.jpeg

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics