shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's dream. If you had a Billion dollars...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have to buy a house with a much bigger piece of land and I would open a Shetland Sheepdog rescue/Sanctuary.

I would make sure both kids were set as far as funds for college and each would get a house.

Travel would be on the list because we don’t currently travel at all or go on vacation.

I would do a fair amount of investing with the rest.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be selfish as hell... :lol: look I'm not going to pretend! I'd have enough stuff to never leave my house. I'd have a big ass house. maybe several. maybe even an island (yeah I'd totally do an island!)

I would definitely have a perfume room. Yep would do it! Gemstones....yeah some, but I'm finicky. I only would deal with certain sellers and y'all already know my motto about trust but verify.

No my parents would not live with me. Love them but no. They'd have their own big ass house though.

My siblings could not live with me either. Thats really a no. We'd work something out.

I'd do some altruistic stuff sure, but I'd keep it on the low low. Basically would support the same charities I do now but give more.

My investments would be in people, not the stock market. I'm a workaholic, I would NOT stop working. I'd work doing something.

I would travel...maybe. No I would, as long as its not Corona season...lol

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow this is a fun one!

I’d buy some jewelry, especially a Patek Phillipe celestial watch!

I would try to buy a few paintings…Rothko, Francis Bacon, Bosch and Raqib Shaw would be my top picks!

I would buy a modest house with an art studio so I could paint and my husband could write, probably in SoCal, and a flat somewhere in the Mediterranean. I’d want my husband and I to be able to teach as well

Id pay for anything my family, especially my in-laws and parents needed. Next would be trusts and college funds for my children and theirs

I would donate / provide funding for:
  • the Wild Animal Sanctuary in Colorado
  • Chicago Art Institute and the Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Parkinson’s and Huntington’s research (ie stem cell research)
  • MIT Media Lab and offer scholarship programs so any and all promising scientists can pursue research to satiate curiosity and solve problems
And then…I’d travel! I’d go to Japan first! :love:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
A very nice house, with a walk-in safe to keep all my blings. Lots of bling (Elizabeth Taylor standard but frankly there’s probably only so much that I’ll want before I’ll stop). Possibly some houses in other countries. Stuff for people I care about so that they are comfortable and happy (including education for my nieces/nephews etc). Trusts for my kids. Investments etc to grow money.

Travel in style when that is a possibility - lots of places I’ve always wanted to travel to and see/do.

Then philanthropy I guess… else what is there to do? Life could be so boring after a while.

W

westofhere

I would make sure my siblings have everything they need, and I would travel, and I would create scholarships for first generation college students.

Also a Corgi ranch where the Corgis may or may not have to wear little hats.

Ok, no mandatory hats.

Except maybe once a year.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately money cannot buy what is truly important in life. It cannot buy back the lives of our loved ones who are deceased. It cannot bring back our furry babies or grandparents.

But if we use that money to help save the lives of people who are still here we could save other people's grandparents or parents/loved ones before they die. If we could put that money to good use (ie vaccinate everyone we can) we can save others from going through the gut wrenching loss we have experienced.

At least temporarily as we are all on this earth but for a short time. Some shorter than others but how wonderful would it be to save the lives of other people's loved ones if it is too late for us to save our loved ones who are already gone.

I wish we could go back in time knowing what we know now and save loved ones before they die. If that were possible I would do all I could to make it happen. But that isn't possible.

What is possible though is to use what we know now and help save the lives of people who are in peril. As in vaccinate everyone who can medically get vaccinated. Donate vaccines and the time to educate those who don't understand the safety profile of vaccines and the risk of not getting vaccinated. That we can do.

If we didn't have this pandemic happening right now I would have taken that billion dollars and saved as many homeless animals as possible.

But there are days I vacillate and think perhaps my billion dollars is best spent on the animals because so many humans suck and animals rock. So yeah depends on the day.

Ask me again tomorrow. :wink2:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I would keep about 5-10% of it to enjoy and share with family, and enjoy spending the rest of my life donating the remainder to worthwhile charitable causes.

I would like to amend my answer to also add that a small chunk of that 5-10% I'd be keeping would be spent commissioning a handful of items from Leen Heyne. ;-)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I would like to amend my answer to also add that a small chunk of that 5-10% I'd be keeping would be spent commissioning a handful of items from Leen Heyne. ;-)

Yesssssssss!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to clarify..haha…This is an expression we use all the time in our family because my son told me this when he was three years old..❤️ It also developed Into me replying…I love you bigger than a dinosaur!

That's sweet and funny at the same time!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Probably free veterinary care/spay & neuter clinics worldwide. Not sure how long the money would last!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
And don’t forget Joanne, me too ;-)

BC4657E4-2FA9-45B4-B6B3-1DEB36A2D5B0.png 2D3D60FB-AA19-42E7-82AD-D4E001A324E4.png 8DD4DAC3-8DAA-4558-8294-1BC0EF011C11.png

I was going to say that but somehow it felt weird saying it here! Hahahahahahaha

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I play this game every time I buy lottery tickets, about once a year. I'm honestly pretty good, because the things that make me happy are doing art, a little gardening, and yes maybe some travel, make sure none of my immediate family are in danger of being homeless, etc. As far as foundations, environmental degradation and climate change are the biggest pressing concerns for humanity. I would fund ways for us to: reduce plastic use, reduce resources in general, possibly sequester carbon. Pipe dream: not just slow the acceleration of deforestation, but get that land back. Rain forests in addition to being the highest areas of biodiversity in the planet, are vital for maintaining rainfall patterns (without which there will increase droughts and desertification). Unfortunately I don't think this is exactly a problem that can be solved by money.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several years ago I found a rabbit on the side of the road. I was driving home from work, past some fields with old fencing that the red-tails love. I almost missed it - brown blob just a few feet into the grass.

I retrieved it (I normally keep blankets, towels, gloves, kitten formula, wet food, bottled water, all manner of sick cat/dog stuff in my car) and took it to the emergency clinic. The vet told me that it would cost almost $1600 to treat him and amputate one of his back legs, and that his odds of survival if re-released were extremely slim.

I wasn't in any position to foster an injured wild rabbit. The four shelters I called wanted nothing to do with an injured wild rabbit. And $1600 was a lot. I asked the doctor several times... What his odds really were. After probably the fourth variant on that question she took pity on me and told me that even with surgery and rehab we'd be asking for miracles. And I was relieved, because $1600 really was a lot - and clearly declining treatment was really the right thing to do. Right?

... Of course not. Surprise surprise. It took only a few minutes - a few minutes too late - to figure that out. The guilt... I've felt that sort of guilt only twice. The other time was in Morocco, when I listened to everyone else and didn't take a kitten to the vet. I won't ever forget those two horrible decisions.

The rest of my drive home that day I promised myself that one day I'd make enough to never have to ask that question ever again. Make enough money that if I saw an animal that needed medical care, I'd be able to pay for whatever it needed right then and there without even thinking about it. That's when I'd be "successful". Not a moment before.

I'm "successful", now. By my own weird definition. I'm very proud of that. And very relieved - no more deaths on my conscience. My husband thinks it’s odd that my definition of personal success is so strongly tied to income - but reality is that money can and does buy health in the US, human and non-human. I honestly don't know what I'd do with a billion dollars. That sort of money... It's a sum that's just unfathomable to me. I’d definitely have some very large diamonds. I'd like to imagine that all the animal shelters and rescue groups around me would have everything they could possibly need and want.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love animals.

I note an unexpectedly high correlation between gem love and animal advocacy on PS -- especially on this thread.

Know that many "animal advocacy" charities are vehemently anti-research or at least opposed to the use of animals in research (which is a little like being opposed to the use of cells or chemicals in research insofar as that is what some research requires.)

Animal testing was required for the COVID vaccines. Those lil fellas helped save us all.

Gotta laugh at the "just use computer modeling" types. Can you produce a computer model of a mammalian body? Maybe just a kidney? Or one tiny cell? Even an organelle? Lotta no's all the way down. Wanna know how your life will turn out? Whether you will ever get cancer or your house will burn down some day? Get hit by lightning? Just use "computer modeling" :lol-2:.

Entities like PETA churn through a boatload of donor dollars in the form of attorneys' billable hours filing endless FOIA requests at every college, university, and company you can think of. They know this will not "help"; they do it as harrassment -- like yelling and holding a sign and blocking the entrance to Planned Parenthood. I think they must be the single greatest conduit for funneling altruistic young and poor people's money into the pockets of an army of well-paid attorneys. That's where all that money goes. That and advertising for more dollars.

OK back to the billionaire fantasies. What would we do if we had a billion dollars? I guess we'd cut back a little but it wouldn't be too painful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make enough money that if I saw an animal that needed medical care, I'd be able to pay for whatever it needed right then and there without even thinking about it. That's when I'd be "successful". Not a moment before.

I agree with your definition of success @yssie

reality is that money can and does buy health in the US, human and non-human.

This is where money is truly valuable. Not for things per se but to maintain good health and help those in need.

Entities like PETA churn through a boatload of donor dollars in the form of attorneys' billable hours filing endless FOIA requests at every college, university, and company you can think of. They know this will not "help"; they do it as harrassment -- like yelling and holding a sign and blocking the entrance to Planned Parenthood. I think they must be the single greatest conduit for funneling altruistic young and poor people's money into the pockets of an army of well-paid attorneys. That's where all that money goes. That and advertising for more dollars.

Yup, I am not a fan of PETA. They are way too extreme and they don't help animals the way the small rescue groups do. The people who are on the battlegrounds rescuing and helping homeless animals. There is so much heartache in this world and while the problem is overwhelming in so many different areas it really comes down to helping one animal at a time and doing the best we can do.

That's why my dh and I donate to the smaller rescue groups because they are making a difference. One animal at a time.

And today, if you asked me what I would do with a billion dollars, I would give it all away to helping the animals. Forget the people because we are our own worst enemy.

I have no words to say but that the pandemic would be over if all those who had medical clearance to get vaccinated got vaccinated. I believe the statistics are approximately 10% of the population should not get vaccinated due to medical reasons. So that means 90% (see how good I am at math) should be vaccinated by now. At least in the "well off" countries.

Shame on everyone who could have gotten vaccinated who did not get vaccinated for reasons that are selfish and/or beyond reasonable. It is because of these people the pandemic keeps on going and going and going.

So yeah, today my Billion dollars goes solely to the animals and I rescind my offer of donating it all to people to get vaccinated.

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 5.35.46 AM.png

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking about how to spend my billion dollars and asked the other half if we actually could 'spend' that much, as opposed to giving it away. We thought possibly not, so I googled 'most expensive super yacht' - I'll be needing more than just the 1 billion please!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love animals.

I note an unexpectedly high correlation between gem love and animal advocacy on PS -- especially on this thread.

Know that many "animal advocacy" charities are vehemently anti-research or at least opposed to the use of animals in research (which is a little like being opposed to the use of cells or chemicals in research insofar as that is what some research requires.)

Animal testing was required for the COVID vaccines. Those lil fellas helped save us all.

Gotta laugh at the "just use computer modeling" types. Can you produce a computer model of a mammalian body? Maybe just a kidney? Or one tiny cell? Even an organelle? Lotta no's all the way down. Wanna know how your life will turn out? Whether you will ever get cancer or your house will burn down some day? Get hit by lightning? Just use "computer modeling" :lol-2:.

OK back to the billionaire fantasies. What would we do if we had a billion dollars? I guess we'd cut back a little but it wouldn't be too painful.

+10000000.

Extremist groups like PETA are at best ineffective, at worst dangerous.

I don’t support and will not contribute to most larger agencies! The ASPCA is another that hemorrhages money on advertisements and marketing and does appallingly little to actually support animals :nono:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love animals.

Totally agree.

Computer modeling and AI is also far more rigid and limited than most people understand. It also comes with all of the flaws that humans possess because guess who builds the models and algorithms? Doi!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • Retire
  • Buy and furnish 3 homes that can be easily made handicapped accessible if needed. Under 3000 sq ft each.
    • One in the city with public transporation and stores/shops in walking distance.
    • One near the ocean
    • One in Italy
  • Set aside enough to travel with family and friends comfortably through my retirement
  • Give away all my jewelry, except of few sentimental pieces, to family and friends.
    • Set aside funds for a "new and curated" bling budget that would focus on quality not quantity (at my current income, I still have a problem spending more then $$ on a single piece even if it adds up).
    • I would try to hire @yssie to build my new pearl collection :lol:
  • Set up trust funds for my kids to ensure they are comfortable for life without throwing it away.
  • Set up scholarship funds for the schools that helped them get where they are today
  • Give money those who went above and beyond caring for my parents. They work for so little and make such a big difference in people's lives.
  • Donate money to those organizations that helped my family such as the amazing rehab facility that got my mom to walk again and the Husk rescue league we get our dogs from.
  • Donate to food banks

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • Retire
  • Buy and furnish 3 homes that can be easily made handicapped accessible if needed. Under 3000 sq ft each.
    • One in the city with public transporation and stores/shops in walking distance.
    • One near the ocean
    • One in Italy
  • Set aside enough to travel with family and friends comfortably through my retirement
  • Give away all my jewelry, except of few sentimental pieces, to family and friends.
    • Set aside funds for a "new and curated" bling budget that would focus on quality not quantity (at my current income, I still have a problem spending more then $$ on a single piece even if it adds up).
    • I would try to hire @yssie to build my new pearl collection :lol:
  • Set up trust funds for my kids to ensure they are comfortable for life without throwing it away.
  • Set up scholarship funds for the schools that helped them get where they are today
  • Give money those who went above and beyond caring for my parents. They work for so little and make such a big difference in people's lives.
  • Donate money to those organizations that helped my family such as the amazing rehab facility that got my mom to walk again and the Husk rescue league we get our dogs from.
  • Donate to food banks

Buy pearlies with someone else’s money?
Have fun playing without the spectre of my husband’s impending panic looming?
Count me so so so so in :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree.

Computer modeling and AI is also far more rigid and limited than most people understand. It also comes with all of the flaws that humans possess because guess who builds the models and algorithms? Doi!

And this. So much this.

And... Drugs and treatment regimens for animals also require animal testing!! Because doggy kidneys aren’t modelled any better than human kidneys! Fido needs lab rats just as much as Aunt Olga.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping it real here, that's WAY too much money! I would do the normal, buy a home, maybe a few small vacation spots, set up my family, etc. With the rest I'd fully fund NYC special education programs (my job). We have the staff, we have the training, our schools lack the "things". We have old buildings, they don't give us adequate supplies, etc. No school would lack a sensory gym, for example. No student who needed an AAC device wouldn't have one. My money would go to D75!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ending my digression with this:

Relieved to hear that @Cerulean, @missy, @yssie, and hopefully most of you are savvy about helping animals without supporting a ban on animal research!

Don't get me wrong -- all animal research needs to be absolutely necessary and needs to be done with the utmost attention to animal welfare and the "three R's." PETA and the like did some good things decades ago in terms of raising awareness. But the current notion that "our work is never done as long as animals are used in any capacity for research" or, worse, "animal research never helped anyone" is just so nuts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL - I’m not vegetarian, I wear leather, I vacuum up spiders and all manner of creepy crawlies! Humans have canines - we evolved to eat meat. And if we’re going to kill an animal to eat its meat, then I feel strongly that we should use the rest of that animal. If we’re going to breed animals for research, then I feel strongly that they should be treated to a reasonable standard of living and the excesses should be euthanized immediately and painlessly. Raise kindly, kill humanely and non-excessively, leave no waste.

We have trampled over those philosophies as a culture. It’s sad.

Ending my digression with this:

Relieved to hear that @Cerulean, @missy, @yssie, and hopefully most of you are savvy about helping animals without supporting a ban on animal research!

Don't get me wrong -- all animal research needs to be absolutely necessary and needs to be done with the utmost attention to animal welfare and the "three R's." PETA and the like did some good things decades ago in terms of raising awareness. But the current notion that "our work is never done as long as animals are used in any capacity for research" or, worse, "animal research never helped anyone" is just so nuts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results