shape
carat
color
clarity

Let it all hangout -- The Grumpies, whinies, complainies Get It Off Your Chest Thread....

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our 3 year old Frigidaire refrigerator croaked 2 days ago. A repair would cost over $1000.
So we had to buy another one yesterday, being delivered on Friday.
All my food is on ice, and I had to cook all the meat that was in the freezer.
Luckily we have a small dorm sized refrigerator that is coming in handy now!

The repair man and the sales associate at the appliance store both told us that cheaper parts are going into brand name appliances that used to last. Remember grandmas old fridge that lasted 30 years?
Those days are gone.
Everything kicks the bucket after 7-10 years nowadays.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Our 3 year old Frigidaire refrigerator croaked 2 days ago. A repair would cost over $1000.

The repair man and the sales associate at the appliance store both told us that cheaper parts are going into brand name appliances that used to last. Remember grandmas old fridge that lasted 30 years?
Those days are gone.

7-10 years if you are lucky. I was once told by a repair tech that my dishwasher was built to last 5 years.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7-10 years if you are lucky. I was once told by a repair tech that my dishwasher was built to last 5 years.
We bought a Whirlpool on the recommendation of the repair man, who said they are the most reliable and easiest to fix.

When I researched on my own, I found out that Whirlpool was frequently named as dependable and longer lasting.
We shall see.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I researched on my own, I found out that Whirlpool was frequently named as dependable and longer lasting.

They also sell under other brands such as KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, Jenn-Air, and Consul.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those days are gone.

This is the reason I'm afraid to replace my 24 year old side-by-side Kenmore refrigerator. It really could use to be updated
but I dont want to feel like I'm throwing my money down the drain. Now I dont think I'm going to replace it until its dead, dead.:(2

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We also have a side by side Kenmore in our basement that was given to me by a friend moving out of state, who could not take it with her.
It's 23 years old. I'm not replacing it until I have to!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those days are gone.

When my condo was being remodeled they stuck a new Hisense stainless fridge in the kitchen without saying a word to me (the unit was never on the market, they were already in the remodel process) and I’m just waiting for the day it dies in the next few years. I went ahead and purchased a small $200 deep freezer for my garage. I just already know I’m gonna need backup one of these days, plus it’s nice for a little extra storage.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate new appliances. I have a Sears Kenmore fridge ( made by Whirlpool) in my basement that I purchased in 1980 for $200 at their warehouse b/c it has a tiny ding on the side. It still runs. About 20 years ago it needed a repair that cost $75. This year, it needed the tube that the defrosting water goes through cleared and that cost $200. I have a Whirlpool in the kitchen that I bought in 1988 for $400. Refused to replace it when I redid my kitchen. It has never had a repair. I did buy a small 3.5 cubic foot freezer that I keep in the basement, fearing that one of my refrigerators would die and I keep a lot of protein in my freezers, but so far, it's hasn't been needed as a back up. Any of the appliances I have replaced in the last 10 or so years have broken or died within 5 or 6 years. I'm hanging onto my old ones and repairing them if it is reasonable. I think you did well going with Whirlpool, at least from my experience. Planned obsolescence seems to be the norm now.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first fridge we had was a Kenmore.
It was great and lasted 24 years.
I've been working out of three coolers since Monday, and going through a lot of ice. So I'll be happy to have a functioning refrigerator on Friday.

They said they will deliver it on Friday.
Sometime on Friday and they couldn't give me a window!
Luckily, I don't work on Fridays, so I'll just sit here and twiddle my thumbs till they call......

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Pet peeve of the day (and yes, highly insignificant...):

Our vehicles both have an "engine idle stop-start" feature. I detest that thing! It's regrettably switched on by default. It only takes a second for me to deactivate it. I still loathe it with a passion. Why? Absolutely no reason. That's the silly part. :roll2:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still loathe it with a passion. Why? Absolutely no reason. That's the silly part.

It is part of efforts implemented to help save the planet by p*ssing off one person at a time.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
US postmaster general said let's cut costs and make the postal service more efficient.

The solutions for my area:
Close the sorting facility for the entire valley. Fly all outgoing mail, including local delivery, 2 hours north to be sorted and trucked back down here. Result, local mail deliveries now take a week or more to get delivered. It's easier and faster for individuals to drive their mail to its local destination.

Second solution was to go from 5 trucks to 1 delivery truck for the southern end of the valley. Result: Businesses/households often don't get their mail picked up or delivered for a week at a time because by the time the sole truck gets to their area, it's too full to take more mail.

:x2

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Our vehicles both have an "engine idle stop-start" feature. I detest that thing! It's regrettably switched on by default. It only takes a second for me to deactivate it. I still loathe it with a passion. Why? Absolutely no reason. That's the silly part. :roll2:

My new car has that and the first few times I drove it I was super pissed. I became used to it but I have no idea how to deactivate it. Being the lazy person I am, I probably won’t bother to find out. Haha

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mine has that too, but I can turn off that function. have you checked to see if you can? I have an Audi.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have that as well. I don’t usually turn it off, I don’t drive far enough, but dh always does! :lol: It can be annoying though yes!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
US postmaster general said let's cut costs and make the postal service more efficient.

The solutions for my area:
Close the sorting facility for the entire valley. Fly all outgoing mail, including local delivery, 2 hours north to be sorted and trucked back down here. Result, local mail deliveries now take a week or more to get delivered. It's easier and faster for individuals to drive their mail to its local destination.

Second solution was to go from 5 trucks to 1 delivery truck for the southern end of the valley. Result: Businesses/households often don't get their mail picked up or delivered for a week at a time because by the time the sole truck gets to their area, it's too full to take more mail.

:x2

My mail has gotten very unreliable. My regular postal worker hasn't been around much and the subs don't even use the right mail slot (one is on the front door and one on the garage but everyone has always used the one on the garage). I get the USPS "informed delivery" which scans the mail I'm supposed to receive each day. Sometimes they never show up and I have to track down the vendor for the invoice. Very frustrating. This is a new problem. Not sure if it's the actual postal service or the fact that my regular guy isn't the one delivering.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I absolutely HATE this feature! I've also got an Audi and when I get in the first button I push is ON, the second button is to shut off this stupid feature, even before I've put on my seat belt.

When I bought my first 911 in 2012 I remember asking the dealer what the button was and he said it was so you could have your car turn itself off if it was idling (keep in mind this is the opposite -- you have to ACTIVATE this feature, not DEactivate). I was like... uhhhh... what the fvck would you want that?! He rolled his eyes and said it was some "new mandate." He said the upside was you'd save money because the car would not be burning gas if it was just sitting there, like at a stop light. I pointed out I was buying a 911 so I probably wasn't too worried about paying for a little extra gas. :lol:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
mine has that too, but I can turn off that function. have you checked to see if you can? I have an Audi.

Nope. It's not an option to turn the function off or I would have, instantly! LOL!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
It is part of efforts implemented to help save the planet by p*ssing off one person at a time.

Haha! While the idea is admirable, it's annoying, especially when I want to leave a stop light quickly. Yes, I could ease my foot off the break to engage the started. Pppffffttttt. Every time I hear the starter, I think that it's going to just get worn out. Not the least bit logical, I know. Totally a knee-jerk reaction on my part. :lol: So, I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to this...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have the idle engine off thing too (Toyota Highlander). It doesn't bother me. You can turn it off if it is bothersome.
You can also change the length of time you set at idle before it kicks in. I dont pay much attention to it and just let it do its thing.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
We have the idle engine off thing too (Toyota Highlander). It doesn't bother me. You can turn it off if it is bothersome.
You can also change the length of time you set at idle before it kicks in. I dont pay much attention to it and just let it do its thing.

Mm-hmm, I can turn it off in one quick little push of a button. And I have a surge of (ridiculous) annoyance each time I turn it off.

It's completely illogical as to why I find it so massively irritating that a) I have to take a fraction of a second (:lol: ) to deactivate it, and b) that the stinkin' default function cannot be changed. :roll: Yeah, these are the tiny things in life...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mm-hmm, I can turn it off in one quick little push of a button. And I have a surge of (ridiculous) annoyance each time I turn it off.

What would Herr Freud say about about this conflict in your psyche over a little button, hmmmmm?
:mrgreen2:

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, do you have to turn it off each time you crank the car @SparklieBug ? That would be annoying (if you dont want it on). I
dont even know if mine stays "off" between cranks because I never turn it off.

You know what annoys me? People at the grocery store that park their cart in the middle of the aisle so no one can get by.
So, then I feel like I am forced to be "rude" by saying "Excuse me, may I get by?" If they just pulled to the side to start with
it wouldn't be an issue...and while I'm on the subject. If someone has their cart parked on one side of the aisle, no, you can
not park your cart across from it no matter how bad you need that toilet paper!:snooty:

Can anyone tell I went to the grocery store today? Very stressful!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So, do you have to turn it off each time you crank the car @SparklieBug ? That would be annoying (if you dont want it on). I

You know what annoys me? People at the grocery store that park their cart in the middle of the aisle so no one can get by.
So, then I feel like I am forced to be "rude" by saying "Excuse me, may I get by?" If they just pulled to the side to start with
it wouldn't be an issue...and while I'm on the subject. If someone has their cart parked on one side of the aisle, no, you can
not park your cart across from it no matter how bad you need that toilet paper!:snooty:

I went to the store today too and it was a madhouse. So glad I only had to pick up the Easter dinner rolls and fresh produce.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree, but it's even worse when they see you trying to get down the aisle and they don't even try to move their cart!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, each time I start the car, I turn off the "feature".

Uhm, yeah. The grocery-store-cart people...volumes could be written. People seem to lose situational awareness at the grocery store.

One that gags me (I confess that I have a weak stomach for this kind of thing) is when parents let their toddlers chew or lick the cart handles when the kidlets are sitting in the basket. UGH! The bacteria that are on there!!! And then...there are the germs from the (inevitably runny-nosed) little critters sneezing and coughing. LOL!

You have correctly surmised that I don't have a particularly strong maternal instinct, either. :lol: As soon as I get back to the car, I use hand sanitizer wipes, and wipe down my hands, the car door handle, etc.

waffle

Shiny_Rock
Here I am 48 years old. I was the “it girl” as a teen. After a long term relationship ended, I was left without a thyroid at 34. I immediately started gaining weight. Then I went through early menopause and here I am 48, never married, no children, and getting ready to change my life with gastric bypass surgery. I’m still in the early stages but so far it’s looking good. Right now I can’t walk much outside or walk to friends. I get excruciating back pain that is unbearable. I know this will all change and I’m so eager to get this help, that the 4 month waiting period is really stressful. I’m going for testing of course, but in my mind I think that I’m already there. When I do that, I look in the mirror and get so discouraged. I wish I didn’t have to live the past 7 years trapped in my body. I can’t wait to break free!!!! I can taste the freedom.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I rarely go inside a grocery these days. I either pickup or have my order delivered. I don’t care about the produce thing (if I end up receiving not “the best” berries/greens/whatever) because it’s far more worth it to me to sacrifice a bit in that area potentially than have to deal with going inside the store and doing all the shopping. Maybe I need a wife.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results