shape
carat
color
clarity

Let it all hangout -- The Grumpies, whinies, complainies Get It Off Your Chest Thread....

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st word problems but I am grumpy that I bought expensive Christmas lights last year in hopes that I could get a few seasons out of them.

I made sure I put up the lights when it was still not too cold and they all worked. :) Then I put them on last Friday and 3 strings are half burned out. :( I changed the fuses, checked the bulbs and nada. Still burnt out.

So I researched the best brands again and found a bunch of these at a discount store in my area. I bought enough for 4 seasons (presuming they last only one season) and bought some on Amazon too. Best brands seem to last a season at best. Glad I got them cheap vs. buying them at the online Christmas light store.

So now I have enough for 4 Christmas seasons presuming they only last one. I went out in the cold to change out the lights today and am feeling festive. But jeez- what a waste of money.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st word problems but I am grumpy that I bought expensive Christmas lights last year in hopes that I could get a few seasons out of them.

I made sure I put up the lights when it was still not too cold and they all worked. :) Then I put them on last Friday and 3 strings are half burned out. :( I changed the fuses, checked the bulbs and nada. Still burnt out.

So I researched the best brands again and found a bunch of these at a discount store in my area. I bought enough for 4 seasons (presuming they last only one season) and bought some on Amazon too. Best brands seem to last a season at best. Glad I got them cheap vs. buying them at the online Christmas light store.

So now I have enough for 4 Christmas seasons presuming they only last one. I went out in the cold to change out the lights today and am feeling festive. But jeez- what a waste of money.

Do you mind me asking what brand of Christmas lights you ended up with? We just bought a bunch of lights for outside and we bought them at Big Lots, but I will be really miffed if we only get one season out of them!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind me asking what brand of Christmas lights you ended up with? We just bought a bunch of lights for outside and we bought them at Big Lots, but I will be really miffed if we only get one season out of them!

The new ones are Wintergreen brand. Last year's were GE lights.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have not posted in here for a while! :lol-2:

First one...

I prepared a list of my December availability for collection counting duties for the service charity which I belong, and sent it to the relevant personnel on 11 October 2023.

I have only just been asked to help out to count by the main person in charge of counting TODAY Wednesday 06 December 2023!!! :x2

Second one...

The other service charity which I belong for the homeless and vulnerable people in my town and surrounding areas, managed to find someone to host a breakfast morning on Monday 25 December 2023.

The original brief is for bacon baps and drinks in disposable plates and cups to minimise the amount of washing up etc. etc...

I volunteered to be the cook, and am planning to bring extra frying pans etc. as I don't like grilled bacon myself! :lol-2:

Other volunteers are now suggesting for sausages to be made and served. :roll2:

It is feeling like too many cooks to me (the kitchen is not very big), and I was about to throw my toys out of the pram and let them get on with it.

Luckily, the person in charge of the session agreed and has posted to ask the others to keep to the original brief.

Giving up my Christmas morning is a big deal to me, even though I choose to be on my own.

I normally start eating and drinking from the moment I get up which is about 08:00 or whenever the pets want their breakfasts! :lol-2:

Nowadays I don't drink quite as much for health reason(s); however, I used to have a full bottle of fizz mixed with OJ as in 1.5L of Bucks Fizz by midday, no joke!

Eating involves making and eating my usual canapés - homemade Gravlax with a homemade dill sauce on crackers topped with roes of some sort; and prawns with homemade Marie Rose sauce on different crackers topped with a different colour roes.

It is MY tradition to eat and drink and cook up a feast or two for myself with just my pets for company, to get up whenever I want to, eat and drink whatever I like when I like, do whatever I like (I used to walk into town and back with my old dog to meet up with my drinking pals at the pub I used to frequent - now permanently closed, sadly :cry2:) and have full control of the TV remote, without having to witness any disagreements amongst other people, etc. etc...

Happy to do without having to drag myself out of bed early Christmas morning and forgo my tradition if I don't have to, thanks!

Yes I am a diva/prima donna cook, however, I really do not like too many cooks in the kitchen even when I was living with another person!

It should be noted that a big Christmas lunch has already been organised for Thursday 21 December at the centre, and I have volunteered to cook two of the side dishes - pigs in blankets and braised red cabbage. I suggested for as many items to be cooked in advance and bring to the centre to finish off/reheating, as last year we had a power cut/outage possibly due to too many items being cooked and required high heat at the same time.

Rant/grumble over.

DK :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have not posted in here for a while! :lol-2:

First one...

I prepared a list of my December availability for collection counting duties for the service charity which I belong, and sent it to the relevant personnel on 11 October 2023.

I have only just been asked to help out to count by the main person in charge of counting TODAY Wednesday 06 December 2023!!! :x2

Second one...

The other service charity which I belong for the homeless and vulnerable people in my town and surrounding areas, managed to find someone to host a breakfast morning on Monday 25 December 2023.

The original brief is for bacon baps and drinks in disposable plates and cups to minimise the amount of washing up etc. etc...

I volunteered to be the cook, and am planning to bring extra frying pans etc. as I don't like grilled bacon myself! :lol-2:

Other volunteers are now suggesting for sausages to be made and served. :roll2:

It is feeling like too many cooks to me (the kitchen is not very big), and I was about to throw my toys out of the pram and let them get on with it.

Luckily, the person in charge of the session agreed and has posted to ask the others to keep to the original brief.

Giving up my Christmas morning is a big deal to me, even though I choose to be on my own.

I normally start eating and drinking from the moment I get up which is about 08:00 or whenever the pets want their breakfasts! :lol-2:

Nowadays I don't drink quite as much for health reason(s); however, I used to have a full bottle of fizz mixed with OJ as in 1.5L of Bucks Fizz by midday, no joke!

Eating involves making and eating my usual canapés - homemade Gravlax with a homemade dill sauce on crackers topped with roes of some sort; and prawns with homemade Marie Rose sauce on different crackers topped with a different colour roes.

It is MY tradition to eat and drink and cook up a feast or two for myself with just my pets for company, to get up whenever I want to, eat and drink whatever I like when I like, do whatever I like (I used to walk into town and back with my old dog to meet up with my drinking pals at the pub I used to frequent - now permanently closed, sadly :cry2:) and have full control of the TV remote, without having to witness any disagreements amongst other people, etc. etc...

Happy to do without having to drag myself out of bed early Christmas morning and forgo my tradition if I don't have to, thanks!

Yes I am a diva/prima donna cook, however, I really do not like too many cooks in the kitchen even when I was living with another person!

It should be noted that a big Christmas lunch has already been organised for Thursday 21 December at the centre, and I have volunteered to cook two of the side dishes - pigs in blankets and braised red cabbage. I suggested for as many items to be cooked in advance and bring to the centre to finish off/reheating, as last year we had a power cut/outage possibly due to too many items being cooked and required high heat at the same time.

Rant/grumble over.

I love your life. :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your life. :kiss2:

There is a third that is bugging me, however, it is work related and I thought I should better not grumble about that one except to say it was not down to me alone if a change does not progressed as smoothly and on-time as it should!!!

DK :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on the issue about the Christmas breakfast with the homeless and vulnerable people charity: I e-mailed the manager of the charity to inform her why I left, and to stick up for the shift leader in charge of the session, whose request to stick to the original brief was brushed aside and ignored by two of the cooks.

Not having it and I felt better after that as I was so angry yesterday with the way they decided upon themselves to do what they saw fit etc...

When I am angry/annoyed/whatever, I would make sure peeps know about it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished cleaning out the car to trade-in for my new one tomorrow and I found 2 phone car chargers for phones I no longer have, a rain hat that I thought I lost, 6 small spray bottles of eyeglass cleaner, 3 pairs of old prescription sunglasses, 2 boxes of N95 masks, 2 rolls of toilet paper, Phase 10 card game that was buried under junk and which I don't remember buying, and miscellaneous bits and bobs of unknown origin.

Whiny promise to myself that I won't use the new car as a garbage can/recycling bin (which is the same promise I broke with the current car :(2).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Update on the issue about the Christmas breakfast with the homeless and vulnerable people charity: I e-mailed the manager of the charity to inform her why I left, and to stick up for the shift leader in charge of the session, whose request to stick to the original brief was brushed aside and ignored by two of the cooks.

Not having it and I felt better after that as I was so angry yesterday with the way they decided upon themselves to do what they saw fit etc...

When I am angry/annoyed/whatever, I would make sure peeps know about it.

This kind of thing is why I really hate working with other people! It seems like there's always some dummy involved who drives you crazy lol.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My apartment complex sent out a notice that they had set up a nice giftwrap station in the club house and even included a bunch of free giftwrap, bows etc. for residents to stop by and wrap their Christmas gifts.

I thought, oh no, I bet this will not go well.

It wasn't an hour later that they sent out another notice scolding residents for stealing the supplies. Nice Christmas spirit there! :lol-2:

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are some people unfriendly?
I travel to multiple retail locations daily for my job.
In some stores, I have to deal with department managers.
I greet everyone, and almost everybody is nice and friendly.
Except this one guy. Nose in the air, won't ever crack a smile. He gives off weird cold vibes.
Why are some people like this?
I just don't get it.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Except this one guy. Nose in the air, won't ever crack a smile. He gives off weird cold vibes.
I just don't get it.

Just my thoughts but I feel like most of us have a social mask, deeply entrenched habit or whatever you'd call it, where we usually automatically act a certain way with co-workers, acquaintances and others we aren't that close to.

For ex. I'd probably smile and say hello, ask how I could help you or whatever was appropriate to the situation, regardless of how I felt that day or what personal problems I might have at the time.

So all I can figure is some people don't have that mask or habit. Which is strange to me since it seems so basic and ingrained in most of us.

Maybe they have a "social disability" or they're just spoiled? LOL.

Or they are under some kind of extreme problem circumstances where they don't have the wherewithall to keep up the mask?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't get it.

Could be shy and being aloof is his barrier.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DK @seaurchin
I don't know that he's shy. More like snooty.

Every time I say "good afternoon" to him, he says "hello" or "hi" back without smiling.
It doesn't feel right to ignore him, so I acknowledge him. However, he has walked right past me many times.
I see him every week when I visit his store, it's not like he doesn't know who I am.
Maybe he is irritated because I say "hi" to him. But he has serious negative attitude, at least to me anyway.
I guess this bugs me because I am friendly to everyone, and expect similar in return.

Most people in retail are a pleasure to visit with, and a few others are not.
People vary, I guess......

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ive seen something id like for xmas but the NZ is so so bad aganist the green back and then there is also shipping
noisy sigh

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
And why doesn't plastic wrap cling anymore???
I recently read that the manufacturers removed an ingredient that was toxic when burned. And this has reduced the clinginess.
I keep buying it, and I am repeatedly annoyed.

And the hole in the toilet paper roll has gotten bigger. And the roll is shorter. It bounces all around on the spindle.
We consumers are getting screwed left and right.

what about fly spray no actually not killing flies
it seems to get weaker every summer

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DK @seaurchin

Every time I say "good afternoon" to him, he says "hello" or "hi" back without smiling.
It doesn't feel right to ignore him, so I acknowledge him. However, he has walked right past me many times.
I see him every week when I visit his store, it's not like he doesn't know who I am.
Maybe he is irritated because I say "hi" to him. But he has serious negative attitude, at least to me anyway.
I guess this bugs me because I am friendly to everyone, and expect similar in return.

He might be somewhere on the autism spectrum or shy or just a shithead.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just because others are not giving cards and gifts this time of the year for whatever reasons, it does not stop me from doing what I would like to do, cards and all (edible gifts).

Same with being nice to other people, that way, if they do not respond, it is not because of me being rude.

DK ;)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so today went out for coffee for xmas, with my work mates
its only been three weeks since the fire but i really miss them, i think we all missed each other
so a rare oppertunity to bling up
well couldnt get earrings in, couldnt do up numerouse chains i wanted to wear a pendant on, couldnt do up the bracelet i wanted to wear, had trouble with the 2nd choice too
rings were tight due to summer temps so also couldnt find nice shoes that were comfertable
its not even all that hot yet but its warmer at night than i like

and here i was worried about looking like i had every piece of jewery i own on (as if;)2)

so after all that no time for make up
have also dyed my hair the wrong colour- should be copper but was too red -matched my garnet bracelet if that counts for anything:???: but i look so washed out

then got over charged for my 3 cacti i brought on the way home
and the dessert i brought home to share with Gary was gross

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
@DK @seaurchin

Can relate. I have someone like this at work and it's jarring when people are rude for no apparent reason whatsoever, especially since I work on a small team.

But because I work on a small team, I'm a little bit more aware of everyone's situations in life and the person who is rude seems to be going through a lot.

Sometimes it's insecurity, feeling intimidated, or otherwise being overwhelmed with life that causes people to lash out or be rude. I've let go of the expectation that people should always respond in kind to my social pleasantries and come to the realization that sometimes the underlying expectation of meeting social standards bothers them as well. They have the attitude of "Who does this person think they are?" It's weird but this has been my experience so I just avoid people who seem to get triggered by my mere existence.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can relate. I have someone like this at work and it's jarring when people are rude for no apparent reason whatsoever, especially since I work on a small team.

But because I work on a small team, I'm a little bit more aware of everyone's situations in life and the person who is rude seems to be going through a lot.

Sometimes it's insecurity, feeling intimidated, or otherwise being overwhelmed with life that causes people to lash out or be rude. I've let go of the expectation that people should always respond in kind to my social pleasantries and come to the realization that sometimes the underlying expectation of meeting social standards bothers them as well. They have the attitude of "Who does this person think they are?" It's weird but this has been my experience so I just avoid people who seem to get triggered by my mere existence.
Thanks for your reply.
I would like to ignore him, too.
But once in a while I have to ask him a question or two, so I have to approach him and put up with his weird attitude.

Oh well. The lovely and pleasant people I speak with daily more than make up for this unfriendly character.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have cleaners who come in once every 2 weeks, billed for 2 people for 1h, on Tuesdays between 11:30 to 12:30.

I normally escape to work in my van parked outside my house when they visit to get out of the way.

I got a Ring video doorbell just over a month ago so that I could monitor activities outside my house and nextdoor neighbours house in the cul de sac, after reports of suspicious activities by the neighbours opposite our houses who had installed a security camera after a car related theft some time ago.

Being naturally curious by nature, I reviewed the videos whenever someone came near my house, and reviewed the videos of the cleaners entries and departures for their last two visits.

I notices that only one cleaner visited my house for 1h for the clean in late November 2023. I said nothing, and thought it could be an one-off due to illness etc...

However, for the first clean in December last week, same thing happened, with no notice or explanations.

I then received an invoice for 2 cleans for December 2023 for 2 visits, for the usual 1h each with 2 cleaners.

So I queried whether the invoice is for the usual 2 visits, 1h each with 2 cleaners, and mentioned only one cleaner visited in the last 2 visits.

A few days later, I received a reply, no apologies except to thank me for bringing it to her (the boss) attention. The cleaner allegedly overloaded with work and could not complete the clean as scheduled.

Subjected to my agreement, they would like to change the day of the clean to Mondays going forward, with a FOC clean today to make up for the shortfall.

I asked whether it would be 1h with 2 cleaners or 2h with 1 cleaner, and was informed it would be the latter.

Just now, the usual cleaner was early, and I had a chat with her. Again, no apologies, just mentioned she was overloaded with work and was not able to fit every job in, etc. etc...

I just thought, how long would it had gone on like the last 2 cleans had I not noticed only 1 of them came to the house???!!!

Was it only for the last 2 visits? Had it happened before I had my Ring video doorbell???!!! :roll2:

Compounded by not being satisfied with the cleaning for some time (I shan't go into details as it is embarrassing), I am likely to change provider of cleaning services after the festive period.

DK :roll2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on the Christmas morning breakfast for the homeless and vulnerable people charity...

The shift leader consulted the guests and they said bacon (or fried egg for non-meat eaters) will be sufficient for the Christmas morning breakfast.

The two cooks who insisted on cooking sausages had since gone very quiet :roll2:, and the shift leader asked me to help instead.

Fine by me except it will be a very early start on Christmas morning! o_O

Not an issue, it means I shan't have a lazy Christmas morning, that's all. I can go back to bed any time during the day - the joy of spending Christmas and Boxing Days on my own with just the pets for company by choice!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being alone and being lonely are two very different issues/concepts.

Although I am largely alone (discounting the pets for company), however, I am not lonely.

I am too busy doing things, and being out and about to be lonely.

If I have time to spare, I sleep!

What brought this on? The countless adverts from charities about people being on their own and feeling lonely, and the festive season is particularly hard for them etc. etc..

DK :roll2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results