shape
carat
color
clarity

Let’s talk about greenish yellow diamonds

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Being curious about this coloured diamond variety. Would like to know how it’s regarded in the trade as well as the community here.

Some pictures and videos which I think quite appealing, although they’re from different vendors’ IG with unknown lighting set up.

How rare is the greenish yellow hue in FCD? We’ve discussed abut JLO’s ering diamond recently, and had a feeling that such greenish yellow colour or green colour with yellow modifier is inferior to more pure green stones. And also how is it compared to yellow diamonds?

Particularly drawing my interest is when such hue combined with strong saturation together with strong green fluorescence. Looks like when all these elements are presented, it looks obviously brighter in sun light (like what’s shown in some clips above) than other FCD even with fluorescence of other colours also; and this difference seems remain even under other lightings other than sunlight with stronger UV.

Any sharing of your views are Welcomed:)

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Love them very much as you can see in my avatar…

The defect is „H3“ and well described here.

Color range is from greenish yellow - green yellow - yellow green - yellowish green. In different intensit.

You need always a report here course this color is often treated - high heat and pressure. Exactly this happens in nature too.

A vivid green yellow - direct sun and only 0,15 ct. Vivid in this size is really rare.

A wonderful diamond

This one is insane too

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

This is a rare combination of H3 (strong fluorescence) and GR1 (brown stains). So beautiful…

First was high heat/pressure which produced the H3 defect.

Then after the diamond left the pipe natural irradiation for several 100.000 years produced the GR1 center (intensification of the green color).

The 1,20 ct. oval from Optimum Diamonds in my opinion too.

Last edited:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Love them very much as you can see in my avatar…

The defect is „H3“ and well described here.

Color range is from greenish yellow - green yellow - yellow green - yellowish green. In different intensit.

You need always a report here course this color is often treated - high heat and pressure. Exactly this happens in nature too.

A vivid green yellow - direct sun and only 0,15 ct. Vivid in this size is really rare.

A wonderful diamond

This one is insane too

Thanks for posting more eye candies~ Particularly for the firefly, I know it's in the hand of a very talented jeweler couple. And I think it needs to mention its cut, it's a very high level of cut, I am not sure if it is precision cut, but again, very very high level especially considering it's colored diamond.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's extremely difficult to accurately capture the color of stones like this.
To get a close up of a diamond, and have it be in focus, you need a lot of light.
If that light contains UV, it will possibly have a huge effect on the color.
And the same is true if it lacks UV.....most of the time, when folks are looking at diamonds there's a balance of UV rich, and UV deficient lighting.
Basically, it's really difficult to capture the color in a way that replicates what folks see in person.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see these stones in person
I'm thinking that Jennifer Lopez now having a green diamond will be drawing more interest in the color range

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another aspect.... consider green, as a color.
In nature, there are really no "bright green" colors.
As compared to yellow, for example. The bright yellow of flowers, compared to the more somber hues of green in nature.
I guess an example of a natural "bright green" might be a strongly fluorescent diamond, held in sunlight.
But in general- green in diamonds is rarely a "bright" color.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Another aspect.... consider green, as a color.
In nature, there are really no "bright green" colors.
As compared to yellow, for example. The bright yellow of flowers, compared to the more somber hues of green in nature.
I guess an example of a natural "bright green" might be a strongly fluorescent diamond, held in sunlight.
But in general- green in diamonds is rarely a "bright" color.

It really makes me think whether there’s bright green in nature. In gem world, how about clean hue chartreuse chrysoberyl, those “mint” garnets that coveted by many nowadays and green tourmaline for example? I do find it less convincing to call even tsavorite, vanadium chrysoberyl, most emeralds etc “bright”.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Is a vivid blue diamond VIVID compared to a Hauyn, a cobalt spinel? A vivid pink diamond compared to a Jedi spinel from Myanmar?

The are bright green gems - fine green eastafrican kornerupine/prismatine, neon green enstatite and diopside.
green Paraiba, some Russian demantoid. Emerald…

These diamonds with strong fluorescence look best in daylight and fantastic in direct sunlight. And this is unique in the gemworld. Only opal from Mexico with a small uranium content has the same effect but much much weaker.

Some man made stones too.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Is a vivid blue diamond VIVID compared to a Hauyn, a cobalt spinel? A vivid pink diamond compared to a Jedi spinel from Myanmar?

The are bright green gems - fine green eastafrican kornerupine/prismatine, neon green enstatite and diopside.

These diamonds with strong fluorescence look best in daylight and fantastic in direct sunlight. And this is unique in the gemworld. Only opal from Mexico with a small uranium content has the same effect but much much weaker.

Man made LuAG

Double E

Brilliant_Rock

Very on point on the colour description of diamonds vs Colored gemstones. If solely looking for truly vivid colours, some CS with fine saturation might beat FCD. Yet FCD offers their play of light, way of refraction that, their brilliance that other CS usually don’t. And this results in the difference of how similar colours perform on FCD and CS.

That said, admittedly there are some situations that I found FCD less tempting. For example, a strongly saturated blue diamond could actually look like something like a overly dark Thai sapphire, in which the said brilliance of diamonds also failed to be perceived. And thus the only attributes left to the eye is just the lustre from stone surface as well as the body colour, which could still be attractive to some as colour is individual preference.

Another question is do these strongly green fluorescence green diamonds look hazy when their green glow is on? I never seen one IRL.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very on point on the colour description of diamonds vs Colored gemstones. If solely looking for truly vivid colours, some CS with fine saturation might beat FCD. Yet FCD offers their play of light, way of refraction that, their brilliance that other CS usually don’t. And this results in the difference of how similar colours perform on FCD and CS.

That said, admittedly there are some situations that I found FCD less tempting. For example, a strongly saturated blue diamond could actually look like something like a overly dark Thai sapphire, in which the said brilliance of diamonds also failed to be perceived. And thus the only attributes left to the eye is just the lustre from stone surface as well as the body colour, which could still be attractive to some as colour is individual preference.

Another question is do these strongly green fluorescence green diamonds look hazy when their green glow is on? I never seen one IRL.
Except these fantastic high quality Vivid Yellow diamonds - no counterpart in the colored gem world

My lime diamonds (different intensity) look a bit hazy in sunlight.

But it is not negative - the effect is so nice - you will love it.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results