shape
carat
color
clarity

leonid, garry...can diamcalc help me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buttercup

Rough_Rock
OK, I have a decision to make. I'm thinking about buying 2 pairs of stud earrings, one for myself and one for my mom for mother's day. The prices are great, so I am very tempted...but I'm trying to be smart about it so I am hoping to get some advice. I don't know if diamcalc can show the idealscope images because I don't have pavilion angles, just percentages. Experts, what do you think?

My mom's pair: seems fine.

1.25ct 6.9mm
table: 59%
depth: 58.3%
crown ang: 33.5
pav: 43%
AGA 2A (without girdle info)
HCA: 0.4 EX

1.264 6.93mm
table: 58%
depth: 60%
crown ang: 34
pav: 43.5%
AGA-1B?
HCA: 1.1 EX

My pair: I'm worried about the HCA results

1.002 6.51mm
table: 59.1%
depth: 61.8%
crown ang: 35.5
pav: 44.1%
AGA-2A?
HCA: 4.3

1.056 6.46mm
table: 58.4%
depth: 63.1%
crown ang: 35
pav: 43.8%
AGA-2A?
HCA: 3.2

Because the prices are so low, I don't mind if the cut isn't awesome...I just don't want the diamonds to be heinous. It looks like the pair that I'm thinking about for my mom is fine. But the pair I want for myself gets not-too-great HCA results, although I'm fine with the AGA 2A grade. It's not fair.
Any advice?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Buttercup :)

How DiamCalc can help you?

Both diamonds in your pare are steap/deep therefore should have quite a bit of light leakage and less spread. However, if the price is good you might wanna go for it.

buttercup

Rough_Rock
thanks leonid for your super-fast reply! you're the greatest!

the prices are really good, but i'm just worried my pair will be so ugly that they'll still be a waste of money. My guess is that they'll most likely fit into the AGA 2A grade. I thought that diamonds that fit into AGA 2A, or even 2B would be pretty good, but the HCA scores really got me worried. the 1.056 is 'Fair' in Fire and Scintillation, and the 1.002 actually gets 'Poor' in these same categories. Granted, I'm using percentages for the pavilions intead of angles. I was ready to pay the $280 for the DiamCalc program just to see what these ideal-scope images would look like! But I wasn't sure if it would be worth it since I don't know the angles. Plus, the diamcalc trial is so confusing to me since I haven't read the manual. :)

Anyway, do you think the lack of fire and scintillation coupled with all the light leakage will make these rocks very ugly?:knockout:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
now i'm confused with the numbers:

1.002 6.51mm - is this correct? 1.002 carat diamond has better diameter than 1.056(6.46mm)?

buttercup

Rough_Rock
leonid-
i noticed that too. i just thought it could be explained by the large depth of the 1.056 stone.

When I looked on pricescope searching for 1.05-1.06ct stones with about 63% depth and 58% tables, the 6.46mm measurement seemed right.

But when I searched for 1ct stones with the similar table and depth as the 1.002, the diameters that came up were smaller, so one has to wonder how accurate those measurements are. :confused:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Exactly: 44% pavilion is deep, 35.5 degree crownis steep... yet diameter is quite big for the carat weight. How about girdle and culet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results