shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon or Maytal for dainty single-row micropave shank and 6-prong head?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I''m having a hard time choosing between Leon Mege or Maytal Hannah for executing my relatively simple custom project. I have a 1.69 round brilliant center diamond. I''ve included a collage of pictures explaining what I''m looking for. Input appreciated!!!

Requirements:
-- 1.8mm shank with melee diamonds set similarly to Tiffany Novo (or Blue Nile Nouveau)
-- 6-prong head similar to the classic Tiffany version
-- E-ring and matching w-band should sit flush or very close to flush (preferably no open gallery)

I''ll also include picture collages and thoughts on Leon/Maytal.

V-whatiwant.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
To be clear, price and customer service aren't deciding factors for me.

- I love Leon's tulip 6-prong head, think it's even better than Tiffany's.
- Do you think brightcut or mushroom pave is closer to what I'm looking for? Which is more susceptible to melee stones falling out? Which is better if I want both e-ring and w-band to sit flush?

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
- Which of Maytal''s 2 settings below is closer to the Novo/Nouveau look?
- Has anyone seen her 6-prongs before? She wasn''t able to produce any pics for me although she says she can make it like Tiffany''s. That worries me a tad.
- I''m less worried about her melee falling out because she''s local to me and I could easily get it fixed by her.
- Has anyone ever seen a really simple, dainty, classic ring from Maytal? Most of the ones on her website are more fancy/detailed/intricate/antique which is nice but not what I''m looking for.

V-maytal-pave.JPG

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Just the fact that Maytal is local would be enough to sway me. Maytal is much more versatile than Leon. She used to work for Tiffany.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Putting in my 2 cents. I''d vote for Leon. If micropave is what you want, he''s one of the best. I love the mushroom pave as well. Yes it is true that you could lose a stone, but I''m pretty sure you could find someone to fix it locally (even Maytal).

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I thought she used to work for Beaudry? I responded to your other thread but I think Leon has perfected the pave look and if you think his head is better than Tiffany's, I would go with him.

ETA...I was responding to Swingirl with the Beaudry question.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would say Leon if you want something very delicate. Maytal''s work is nice but it isn''t dainty and delicate.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like Leon''s tulip head (it looks great!) and you know his pave work is exceptional, I''d have to go with him. Not to say that Maytal can''t do the same thing but you know he can produce the head you like and his pave is always wonderful!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 8:09:55 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
I thought she used to work for Beaudry? I responded to your other thread but I think Leon has perfected the pave look and if you think his head is better than Tiffany''s, I would go with him.

You are correct. It was Beaudry.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 9:04:06 PM
Author: Cind11
Date: 4/3/2009 8:09:55 PM

Author: emeraldlover1

I thought she used to work for Beaudry? I responded to your other thread but I think Leon has perfected the pave look and if you think his head is better than Tiffany''s, I would go with him.

You are correct. It was Beaudry.
Her website bio says Tiffany. I believe she''s worked for both.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I actually went and read her bio and it does say that she worked there. That being said, I think the style of her work is more similar to Beaudry which is probably why that stuck in my head.

To the OP: given what I just said, I reconfirmed my advice that if what you want is simple pave, I think Leon is your guy.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Maytal worked for Tiffany''s as a salesperson; she worked for Beaudry as a designer.

I would chose Leon over Maytal. I have a ring by Maytal and find the workmanship to be good but not great. If you want to go with someone local, I''d check out 23rd Street Jewelers. They have some beautifully delicate pave pieces.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly - based on your requirements and picture montages-I''d say Maytal. Because she is more likely to execute exactly what you want IMO while Leon might see you as a "demanding" client because you know exactly what you want and it isn''t necessarily **his** design KWIM? He''s given people heck before when they show him detailed instructions about exactly what they want and how he should execute it.

So for temperament reasons I would go with Maytal!

DKinLA

Rough_Rock
I am in California and decided to go with Leon for my micropave ring. I will be sending him my stone next week so I can''t speak to the finished product yet
emsmile.gif
but I sure am excited.

Have you read his article on micropave ....it''s really informative.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/articles/micropave.php

Good luck.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 10:37:19 PM
Author: neatfreak
Honestly - based on your requirements and picture montages-I''d say Maytal. Because she is more likely to execute exactly what you want IMO while Leon might see you as a ''demanding'' client because you know exactly what you want and it isn''t necessarily **his** design KWIM? He''s given people heck before when they show him detailed instructions about exactly what they want and how he should execute it.

So for temperament reasons I would go with Maytal!
yep what she said - also Maytal being local is a big plus.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get qoutes from 23rd street, Maytal and Leon and talk to each. Then decide. I think with any custom project you have to have a good rapport with the designer in order to proceed.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d suggest getting a quote from Bridget Durnell too. I believe she''s in LA and many of her designs are on Pearlmans site but she does custom work as well. She just did a custom ring for a pricescoper that was stunning. Leon does beautiful work but I agree with Neatfreak that he might not be a good match if you are planning on giving him the same presentation you did us
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 11:27:39 PM
Author: Gypsy
I would get qoutes from 23rd street, Maytal and Leon and talk to each. Then decide. I think with any custom project you have to have a good rapport with the designer in order to proceed.
This is certainly important! However, if delicate and stunning pave was my goal, it would be Leon for certain.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 11:36:11 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 4/3/2009 11:27:39 PM
Author: Gypsy
This is certainly important! However, if delicate and stunning pave was my goal, it would be Leon for certain.
I've seen Leon's work and it is lovely. But honestly, it didn't knock me over dead. He's not the be all and end all and with his personality issues, I wouldn't work with him, personally. I think that you can't go wrong with any of the three, so you might as well go for 'click' and 'comfort'.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results