shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon or Maytal for dainty single-row micropave shank and 6-prong head?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
I''m having a hard time choosing between Leon Mege or Maytal Hannah for executing my relatively simple custom project. I have a 1.69 round brilliant center diamond. I''ve included a collage of pictures explaining what I''m looking for. Input appreciated!!!

Requirements:
-- 1.8mm shank with melee diamonds set similarly to Tiffany Novo
-- 6-prong head similar to the classic Tiffany version
-- E-ring and matching w-band should sit flush or very close to flush (preferably no open gallery)

I''ll also include picture collages and thoughts on Leon/Maytal.

whatiwant.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
No doubt about it, Leon probably has the best reputation on pricescope for making dainty pave settings. That said, he is a bit more expensive and not as friendly as Maytal. But what I'm most interested is the END product so price and customer service aren't a deciding factor.

Factors:
- His tulip 6-prong is to die for. I'd venture to say it's even better than Tiffany's 6-prong.
- His pave looks really good. I can't tell whether brightcut or mushroom pave is more similar to the Novo look though. And not sure which is more durable in terms of not having the melee stones fall out easily. What do you guys think?
- How likely is it for his melee stones to fall out under normal wear&tear?
- He said he hates the Tiffany Novo, and that mine won't look like it. That comment worries me a tad. Of course, I don't mind something even *better*.
- He doesn't like e-ring & w-band sitting flush but he'll design it that way if that's what I want.

leon-tulipandpave.JPG

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Leon. He has perfected this style and after seeing it in person I''d go with him. I saw a 1.5 micropave band that was the daintiest most beautiful thing I''ve ever seen. I''ve never seen Maytal''s work in person.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Maytal also has a really good reputation but perhaps not as well known as Leon for the pave/micropave. She is extremely friendly and is local to me so if a melee stone ever falls out, I could just go to her. But again, I don't want customer service, price, or convenience of getting a stone fixed to be the deciding factors. I care about the end product.

Factors:
-- Her rings online are more intricate/fancy/antique than the delicate classic look that I'm going for. I think she can do simple, but I'm not sure.
-- Her pave/micropave seem to show more metal than Leon's but I'm not sure. And I can't tell which of the pictures below are closer to the Tiffany novo melee setting. Thoughts?
-- She wasn't able to show me any pictures of 6-prong settings that she's done, though she assures me she has done it before and can do a good job. That worries me.
7.gif
I've read that her claws are more blunt than Leon's and while I don't want claws, I'm not sure she'd be able to produce the dainty feel I'm going for in the prongs.

maytal-pave.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
emeraldlover1, have you seen both the mushroom and brightcut in person? Which one do you think is closer to the Tiffany Novo or Blue Nile Nouveau look? I''ve attached a closeup picture of the Blue Nile Nouveau setting which I saw in person and really liked. The picture shows more metal than it feels when looking at it normally.

NouveauBand-2.JPG

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 7:21:36 PM
Author: silverbuggy
emeraldlover1, have you seen both the mushroom and brightcut in person? Which one do you think is closer to the Tiffany Novo or Blue Nile Nouveau look? I''ve attached a closeup picture of the Blue Nile Nouveau setting which I saw in person and really liked. The picture shows more metal than it feels when looking at it normally.
I have seen both the mushroom and the brightcut of Leon''s, yes. However, I don''t really pay attention to Tiffany enough to compare the two. I did try on the novo band in Tiffany and it looked very similar to the band on my Tacori ering (which I love but Leon''s work is more exact). I contacted leon cause I want to bands to flank my ering so I got to see some of his work. I got a plain band to save some money but I''m hoping my fiance surprises me with the bands for my wedding present. Not counting on it though.

Lleon pave rings and they are simply the best micropave I have ever seen. Oh, and I live in NYC and try to walk through the diamond district every couple of weeks so I''ve seen a few.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 8:17:11 PM
Author: emeraldlover1

I have seen both the mushroom and the brightcut of Leon''s, yes. However, I don''t really pay attention to Tiffany enough to compare the two. I did try on the novo band in Tiffany and it looked very similar to the band on my Tacori ering (which I love but Leon''s work is more exact). I contacted leon cause I want to bands to flank my ering so I got to see some of his work. I got a plain band to save some money but I''m hoping my fiance surprises me with the bands for my wedding present. Not counting on it though.

Lleon pave rings and they are simply the best micropave I have ever seen. Oh, and I live in NYC and try to walk through the diamond district every couple of weeks so I''ve seen a few.
Hmmm emeraldlover1, do you remember liking the mushroom or the brightcut more? From pictures, mushroom lookes like the individual diamonds are more distinct and visible. However, I am worried the girdles overhand the shank which might rub if I wear e-ring and w-band together. Brightcut looks like it might be too much metal but that could just be the pictures. I know for sure there''s a line of metal on either side of the shank, but what about in between the individual diamonds? Are there beads or something?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 4:43:05 PM

Date: 4/3/2009 8:17:11 PM
Author: emeraldlover1

Hmmm emeraldlover1, do you remember liking the mushroom or the brightcut more? From pictures, mushroom lookes like the individual diamonds are more distinct and visible. However, I am worried the girdles overhand the shank which might rub if I wear e-ring and w-band together. Brightcut looks like it might be too much metal but that could just be the pictures. I know for sure there''s a line of metal on either side of the shank, but what about in between the individual diamonds? Are there beads or something?
Oh gosh, I don''t really remember everything about the metal cause it was months ago. I remember that the brightcut was closer to what my ering band looks like and I think they were bead set but I don''t remember. If my fiance does get them for me they will be brightcut cause while the mushroom is pretty its a different style completely than my ering. The mushroom cut there is def more diamond showing and I really didn''t think about it rubbing my ering cause I only have one side of diamonds on my ering. If you are looking for more of the novo look then I believe that is closer to the brightcut. The mushroom is more similar to the HW ring.

I don''t know if that helps because the pictures are so magnified. In person these rings show hardly any metal at all. They are so thin too. The bands that we were talking about having him make for us were 1.5 - 1.8 mm and my ering is 2mm. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results