shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege R221... Emerald or Asscher Cut ?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
My first day here and this is my SECOND post in under 5 mniutes !!!!!!

*giggles*

I have noooo idea how to insert a link or picture into this post, so please bear with me....

We are looking at Leon Mege''s R221 setting... it is a three sided pave band ring with pave diamonds on the head and shank... baguettes (bullets) on either side of the centre stone.... It is shown on his site with a 2 ct Asscher, which looks AMAZING but I have always loved Emerald Cuts...

Leon has quoted prices for both the 2 ct Asscher and sent info on an EC stone he had that he was willing to sell loose...

My question is...

WHAT STONE (2ct) would YOU think would look best in that setting ?????

And does anyone here have it....

I know Miss Fram Fine does....
emotion-5.gif

Any help would be appreciated.... my BF wants me to pick.... just for fun.... I think he MAY be up to something !!!!!

Please help !!!!!

Leon Dream Ring.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscher asscher asscher! With all the "I fell out of love with my asscher" business 'round here lately, I'd suggest trying to find one closest to RA specs if you can
1.gif

Anyway, that setting screams out for a square-cut stone.

"I FELL OUT OF LOVE WITH MY ASSCHER" ?????

How is that possible ?????

I am absolutely MESMORIZED by that particular stone.....

I have the specs on the one we are looking at....

When I spoke with Leon, this was the one he suggested after getting a feel for what I wanted...

What do you girls think ????

Color: J
Clarity: VS2
Weight: 1.80 ct
Dimentions: 6.72mm x6.72mm x4.67mm
Table: 60 %
Depth: 69.5 %
Culet: N
Fluorescence: N
Polish: EX
Symmetry: VG

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Welcome BrowneyedCountryGirl!

That is a LOVELY ring you have chosen! Leon's work is flawless and many ladies here can attest to that!! Great choice!

I am a teensy bit partial to the asscher as well, and with those side bullets and the glittery pave.....*swoooooon!*

1.gif

Did you get any stone dimensions from him?

ETA: There they are! DOH! We were posting at the same time!
5.gif

Ohhh, by the way, BEAUTIFUL RING Musey !!!!!

Soooo pretty !!!!

*drools*

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, BECG! Yeah I''m shocked by the falling-out-of-love business, too... I can''t imagine wanting another cut!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The specs look good. Just want to be sure that you are all right with a J stone in such a large size. J will not be quite as white in step cuts and over 1.5 carats. It will not be yellow but has a warm look.

Love that setting. I think an asscher is best, an EC will look a bit out of proportion in that setting.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome out of lurkdom! I knew I felt someone looking over my shoulder...
2.gif

I love both cuts, but in that settinmg, hands down the Asscher.

However, Chrono raises a good point with the J color. Have you seen some step cuts in lower colors? Just want you to be sure you are ok with them.

Can''t wait to see what you end up with!

Hi Chrono !!!!

Thank you for your response.... the specs do look good and Leon and I discussed the J COLOR and I have always loved the warm brillance of that colour of stone.... some people are more partial to a "whiter" stone, but I am fond of the warmer tones associated..... it just seems more romantic and "vintage" to me....

With that size Centre, what are the pros and cons ????

And I agree, an EC would look a little "off" in the setting.....

emsmile.gif

Hi Ellen !!!!!

I actually haven''t seen many step cuts in a J colour..... I have seen others and have loved the warmth...

Is there a noticeable difference in step cuts in this colour ???

Ohh, and sorry for stalking so long.... you can be at ease now !!!!

emsmilep.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely choice! & WELCOME!

My initial instinct is that *that* exact set up ... w/BULLETS, is best suited for an Asscher (though the stone pictured seems to be a bit of an elongated Asscher - as is my own)

HOWEVER ... with a teensy modification, substituting TRAPS or BAGS for the bullets, I think an EC would look lovely also.

FUN! FUN!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 12:41:35 PM
Author: BrownEyedCountryGirl
Hi Ellen !!!!!

I actually haven't seen many step cuts in a J colour..... I have seen others and have loved the warmth...

Is there a noticeable difference in step cuts in this colour ???

Ohh, and sorry for stalking so long.... you can be at ease now !!!!

emsmilep.gif
Step cuts tend to show more color/warmth, but as Chrono said, it won't look yellow per se, but it won't have that icy white look either.

If you like warmth, you're probably ok. What you might do, is try to hit a few high end stores (better call first to see what they have) and look at some lower colored Asscher and Emerald cuts. That would definitely give you a better idea.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I love asschers, but Fran Fine''s ring is one of my very favorites on this forum! In fact, I think I like it better than the one you posted above, EXCEPT, Fran''s stone is something like a 3 ct., I think, so it just won''t look exactly the same with a smaller stone.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Well...I am one who "Fell out of love with my asscher". The reason "I" did, was that it looked a bit small for its size (1.92) and it showed color more than most (It was an I color, GIA). I would not get anything lower than an I for a step-cut...and be sure to spend a good amount of time making sure that you won''t mind your stone being considered much smaller than it is...

As for the setting, I LOVE IT! One of my all-time favs....and if it were me, I would put is with an Asscher...the proportions with the bullets would be best.

Oh UCLABelle, I LOVE your ring... sooo pretty !!!!

I was concerned about that too, considering I have long fingers and am almost a size 7.......

I was afraid the stone would be "swallowed" up on my finger.....

In the end, the setting and side stones especially ceratinly compliment the Centre stone, so I am not that concerned..

An EC would be lovely in that setting and would give the illusion of being "bigger" but to work, the side bullets would have to be changed to baguettes or traps which then really changes the orignial style of the ring and that is what took my breath away in the first place....

Honestly, this man could put a RING POP on my hand and I would be just as happy.....

Carey

Shiny_Rock
OK, I''m usually a ''lurker'' since having only been married 30 years, I''m not yet ''engaged'' with a ring ;-), but I''m shopping and waiting for the day the kids are through college & I get my diamond! And LAST WEEK I cut & pasted THIS RING into my ''wish book'' - I LOVE your taste!

Please do this ring in a square cut. I also like the ''warm brilliance'' of the h-j colors, and have loved a J I saw in a Princess Cut. Check out the Diamonds By Lauren site to see a lot of ''warmer'' step cuts - they swear by them. I think as long as the sidestones are around the same color you could be happy with that nice big rock in a ''J''! Good luck to you. Happiness always....

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the Asscher. (If you can find a Royal Asscher that he would put into the setting, that would be your best bet.)

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for an asscher! That ring is gorgeous! Can''t wait to see the finished product!
30.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring - I would go with the asscher instead of the EC in that setting. I am also one of the "falling out of love with my asschers", so I second what Madame Bijoux said - see if you can find a royal asscher for that setting - that would be phenomenal!

I think that the stone you found sounds beautiful, though, and Leon''s taste is impeccable, so I''m guessing that anything he picks is going to be great. Can''t wait to see the finished product on your hand! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results