shape
carat
color
clarity

Leo Schachter and new RBC??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hbright

Rough_Rock
Anyone hear of Leo Schachter and the new brilliant cut with 60 something facets??

I was browsing a Kay jewelry store and the clerk showed me a RBC that has extra facets (pavilion, I think?). It's ostensibly more brilliant and scintallating, though not so firey, than the traditional RBC. IGI actually recognizes such cuts and even includes a brilliancescope analysis! According the the clerk, it's new this year. Just by comparing to stones side by side, it didn't look that different though it looked perhaps a bit darker in the center. Under 30X zoom it clearly had extra stars (more than the typical 8). I'm going to check it out with an ideal-scope next.

Though I can't really make heads or tails of this cut as I've not encounted anything on the internet about this cut or Leo. Leo, the clerk claims is a reknown diamond cutter. I was somewhat impressed that brilliancescope analysis were included with these diamonds, though the brilliance scope has met differing opinions.

Oh, the clerk also emphasized that IGI is much stricter in that triple consensus must be reached regarding any grading of a diamond. IGI sounds good, but haven't read to much about them.

Any ideas?

dallas

Rough_Rock
Suggest you do a search on this forum for "leo diamond". You should also try the diamondtalk forum which can be entered via the pricescope web page.

I actually purchased a leo 3 weeks ago and cancelled the transaction. I did this because I did some research and determined that the salesperson had sold me a badly cut stone while emphasizing that all I needed to know as the brand name, leo. The point being cut matters even if it is a leo diamond. Kay salespeople either don't know this or they are concealing it. I strongly suspect it is ignorance on their part.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Generally speaking.....

The Leo diamonds have deep pavilions which increases the retention of carat weight from the rough stone. To compensate for the light leakage of the deeper pavilion - they throw a few extra facets on it.

There is a post here or on diamond talk, (in the testimonial sections of DT) where a consumer compared his H&A type stone to those at Jared's and even their manager admitted his stone looked far superior.

I would recommend reading and becoming better informed about the diamonds..... check these websites.

http://www.eightstar.com
http://www.superbcert.com
http://www.whiteflash.com
http://www.heartsonfire.com

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

hbright

Rough_Rock
Thanks, but I already bought a diamond after researching. I mananged to find a non-branded H&A that scores excellent on HCA, shows excellent IS image, and has H&A symmetry rivaling the officially branded H&A. Thanks for those unabashed commercial site recommendations, though.

My curiosity was piqued when I encountered a cut I've never heard of before. From searching this forum it seems the leo cut is a matter of preference with the main perceivable effect being greater amount of "fast" scintillation versus a more bold and deliberate type (i.e. 8*) and perhaps more fire due to the extra pavilion facets. The same basic rules for a good RBC still hold true. This is counter to what the salesperson said, which is to be expected. I was rather surprised at the inclusion of Bscope results with every leo diamond as the one I viewed was clearly inferior to a standard non-branded traditional though it's light return was high by the Bscope. In fact it looked like a slight nailhead. Makes me wonder about reliability of Bscope results. I prefer HCA and IS evaluation.

I didn't know that leo cuts were by definition deeper. The leo diamonds, as far as I've read, aren't about proportions but rather about extra facets.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results