shape
carat
color
clarity

Leo diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemma

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I hope someone can help me. I bought a >.70 Leo diamond from Marks and Morgan and I had noticed at the tip of the diamond that there is what appears to be a bubble all around. I had not noticed it when we first purchased it anyway I took it to the store to get my 6 month service work done on it to make sure it was o.k. cleaning etc. I asked the salesman about it and he inspected it. He said there was nothing wrong it was just an optical illusion. He also mentioned that also the Leo had a different cut. I''m new to this and i don''t recall seeing it on my trade-in . Anyway, this Leo cost 4499.00 and has been appraised at Sl(l) near colorless. Is there something I''m not understanding or can someone help me?? He said it was a beautiful diamond. I told him I hope it wasn''t flawed and he said no he looked at it all around and it was consistent and just an optical illusion. I feel stupid and I hoope this is not a dumb ???...
twirl.gif

AnnaMagdalena

Rough_Rock
Is it something you see from the side view? If so, check out the thread entitled "Girdle reflection" and you'll find that it's normal. It happens in other types of cut; it's not a phenomenon specific to the Leo.

However, if it's something you see from a top view, perhaps you can take it to an independent appraiser for another opinion.

gemma

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply. I feel much better. I looked at the diamond from the top view and it was fine. I checked out a small .25 ct pendant diamond that I had which is a hearts on fire diamond and it had the same bubble-looking thing on the tip. however I didn't quite understand what you meant to check the girdle reflection how do I do that?? I know the leo diamonds have a number to identify them on the girdle. Thank you so much for your time to answer this. I'm learning so much here about diamonds. I only buy good quality S1-VS1 good color/colorless diamonds but I'm learning that if a diamond is cut well it can look almost colorless. Also that people won't be able to tell the clarity of your diamond ,etc. so anyway I'm going to shop much better next time I buy another trinket. Thank You!!!!
1.gif

AnnaMagdalena

Rough_Rock
Hi Gemma,
What I meant about the girdle reflection: if you do a search for "reflection" using the search function on the top right of the forum page, a thread comes up entitled "Girdle reflection." In that thread, there are good explanations by experts about this phenomenon, along with pictures. Or go to this:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/girdle-reflection.3285/

Glad you are enjoying this forum and learning! Me too.
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
That "bubble all around" is most likely the inner surface of the girdle reflecting all around about 2/3rd's or 3/4's the way down the pavilion (bottom portion of the stone).

A lot of people flip out when they first notice it.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
Could it be a large culet? You said it is on the tip. If the culet is a little on the large size it appears that the center of the stone has a 'hole' in it.Hope this helps, Cindy

dgale

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 5/13/2003 1:33:44 PM gemma wrote:

Hi everyone,
I hope someone can help me. I bought a >.70 Leo diamond from Marks and Morgan and I had noticed at the tip of the diamond that there is what appears to be a bubble all around. I had not noticed it when we first purchased it anyway I took it to the store to get my 6 month service work done on it to make sure it was o.k. cleaning etc. I asked the salesman about it and he inspected it. He said there was nothing wrong it was just an optical illusion. He also mentioned that also the Leo had a different cut. I'm new to this and i don't recall seeing it on my trade-in . Anyway, this Leo cost 4499.00 and has been appraised at Sl(l) near colorless. Is there something I'm not understanding or can someone help me?? He said it was a beautiful diamond. I told him I hope it wasn't flawed and he said no he looked at it all around and it was consistent and just an optical illusion. I feel stupid and I hoope this is not a dumb ???...
twirl.gif
----------------

2.gif
hello,
It sounds to me like you have a small inclusion in the stone< which is a birthmark in the diamond. most of your diamonds have some tiny natural imperfections in the diamond unless it is pecfect and in that case you would pay a fortune for it like twice the amount or more depending on the spects... I do have some knowledge on diamonds, I just bought a leo three-stone 1.5 TDW it is VS2& G in color I absolutly love this ring it is stunning! and I could'nt compare the brillance with any other diamond that I ever seen... I am just loving it. the retail on this ring was high in price but it was worth it to me . when you go in to a jewelery store to look at a diamond- look at it under their scope you will see all there is to see and that will save you from surprizes later on. I believe the LEO will be an investment later down the road, also cut is everything the LEO has been around for four generations... I think that says alot! I hope I have been of some help..

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Do you also know that the leo cut is not as idealy cut as you might think ! The words Ideal cut is getting to be a catch phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results