shape
carat
color
clarity

Lemon Citrine v. Peridot

abigail84

Rough_Rock
New to the gemstone game. I have two choices for a wedding ring design. 1) 3.8 Ct Lemon Citrine 2) 2.9 ct Peridot both pear shaped. I know they're both close on the MOH scale. Planning on having a platinum setting we just want something that will be sturdy as well as appealing to look at, that's not a diamond. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

P.S. Please excuse the pictures. They're not the best!

lemoncitrine.jpeg

peridot.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peridot is very soft, so the jeweler has to be especially careful if setting it in platinum. Citrine is a bit more durable, but still isn't the hardest gem. Unless you have a great jeweler, I would only set very hard gems in platinum. I can't tell anything from your photos, so I cannot comment on the gemstone quality themselves, if that's what you are also looking for (opinions on the gems).

abigail84

Rough_Rock
So I would be better off picking another stone with a higher MOH rating. I would attempt more pictures but my camera skills are not the greatest. I have other stones such as emeralds and sapphires they're just a smaller ct weight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
abigail84|1308008880|2945118 said:
So I would be better off picking another stone with a higher MOH rating. I would attempt more pictures but my camera skills are not the greatest. I have other stones such as emeralds and sapphires they're just a smaller ct weight.

Emeralds are not good for setting in platinum, unless you have a great jeweler. They have numerous fissures, and you just need a great jeweler to set them no matter the metal, but harder metals, like platinum, are a bit more precarious. A sapphire is more appropriate, as it is very durable.

abigail84

Rough_Rock
Is topaz as bad as emeralds. i know they're not much higher than emeralds on the scale.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mohs Scale merely indicates 'scratchability' not how tough a stone is so you need to look at other things like brittleness, cleavage and other sorts of durability as well.

How often do you plan to wear the ring? Unless you are light on your jewellery and don't intend to wear your ring most of the time then I would stick to sapphire - but don't do housework or gardening in that either.

Peridot is a nightmare - I've chipped plenty of them, plus I've seen the results of 10 seconds in bathroom cleaner and it was not a pretty sight!

Quartz is another bad choice for an everyday ring. It won't stand up to wear at all - especially not in that shape.

Topaz has perfect cleavage. Someone on this board bought one recently, dropped it and now has a second very tiny topaz.

abigail84

Rough_Rock
Good to know! Thank you!! I am hard on jewelry that's why I'm wanting a platinum setting. Thanks for all your input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results