shape
carat
color
clarity

Leibish(is it ripoff) and Benma Diamonds(is it scam) have the same orange diamond ?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by ponchik, Mar 15, 2019 at 8:04 AM.

1. ponchik
    Rough_Rock

by ponchik » Mar 15, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    Hi
    I am in search for an orange diamond which I am interested in Leibish. And it is a new addition probably 2-3 days ago.
    And I read on the internet that they hold all the inventory of the items listed
    The leibish stone price 9350 USD
    https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-yellow-orange-asscher-38958

However while I was doing some more research to see if there is a color i like more, I stumbled upon this link in e-bay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-77-Carat...547187?hash=item56892bf673:g:Mj4AAOSwEjFXcoBO
    Price 4230 USD item location Israel

Ok I don't trust e-bay much on these type of things, but the seller Benma Diamonds is an old member and has very high feedback (I also know sellers can deceive this) and this diamond is something mid-priced for their listings.

So I am confused. Who actually is the owner of this diamond.
    I am thinking the E-bay listing is a scam but just wanted to make sure not to be ripped off DOUBLE the amount if in the end I decide to buy this diamond.

2. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » Mar 15, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    This is really strange. I clicked on the eBay link and saw the diamond...and then clicked on the Lebish link. When I went back to the eBay link it didn’t work anymore..like it was taken off...If you are considering this diamond I would contact Lebish and ask them directly and ask about the eBay link. Something smells fishy..

Ss52, lovedogs and rockysalamander like this.
  3. ponchik
    Rough_Rock

by ponchik » Mar 15, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    the link still works ?

4. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » Mar 15, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    It’s not working for me..It goes to a generic eBay page..It worked the first time but not all the other times I tried...

5. rockysalamander
    Ideal_Rock

6. rockysalamander
    Ideal_Rock

7. rockysalamander
    Ideal_Rock

8. anangel
    Shiny_Rock

by anangel » Mar 15, 2019 at 9:04 AM
    eBay link worked for me, but no idea who either of the two vendors are.
    Diamonds by Lauren was a great suggestion- they specialize in fancy colors and are good at working with a budget. Check out their stuff on insta gram

9. ponchik
    Rough_Rock

by ponchik » Mar 15, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    thank you for your suggestions.
    1 - the color is a bit too brown
    2- don't consider oval or round shapes need somewhat square rectuangular shape, also too small
    3- color is a bit too yellow, and too small

I was looking out to but something arount 1ct, but loved the color of this inquired stone

I also considered the below two
    1 - https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-brownish-yellowish-orange-radiant-36282
    2- https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-brownish-yellowish-orange-radiant-31982

what do you think about these, although they look not that much brown on the photos I couldn't be sure
    But I havent seen any colored diamonds in person so I am not sure the color difference would be distinguishable at these small ct., and shoud I opt for the bigger ones

10. rockysalamander
    Ideal_Rock

by rockysalamander » Mar 15, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    A lot of orange diamonds (and yellow) will have a brown tone. The best way to see them are in person. Both Leibish and DiamondsbyLauren are located in NYC. Could you make a trip there? If so, you could set up appointments at both. They can also call-in stones that you don't see on their sites.

Ignore carat size. Look at the size in millimeters. Colored diamonds are cut first for color retention. They will vary widely in size by weight. I would filter by color and then maximum budget. Then, look at sizes. Not a diamond, but you may have good options in sapphires.

Is this for you personally to wear or a gift? I ask because color is very very personal and orange and yellow -- more than most.

From a color perspective, I think the 1.26 will read more orange and less brown. But, *to me* this color of the 2nd DBL is superior. But, my eyes are not your eyes.

Too small, but I also like these.
    https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-yellow-orange-emerald-38325
    https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-orange-oval-30918

lambskin and lovedogs like this.
  11. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » Mar 15, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    So weird! Thanks @rockysalamander I was able to go into my eBay and see it in recently viewed..so strange..

12. ponchik
    Rough_Rock

by ponchik » Mar 15, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    first of all it is for myself,
    I don't want sapphires. I am looking at the actual mm not just the ct weight there was about 1 mm difference in size as well.

Any idea on what is going around with the original diamond I posted ? because colorwise that is the one I liked most actually within my budget.

13. bludiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by bludiva » Mar 15, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    I don't know this vendor but it's not uncommon for multiple companies to offer the same stone and at different price points.

seaurchin and rockysalamander like this.
  14. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Mar 15, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    Leibish is very trustworthy. I woild contact them and ask.

15. OcnGypZ
    Rough_Rock

by OcnGypZ » Mar 15, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    Both companies have HQ's in Israel. Leibish has a retail location in NYC. So one's a cutter and one's a brick and mortar retailed. Both have internet sales. Who has the best return policy if it turns out you don't like the color??

Ss52 likes this.
  16. lambskin
    Brilliant_Rock

by lambskin » Mar 15, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    If it is the same stone -WOW that is a huge price difference!

17. ponchik
    Rough_Rock

by ponchik » Mar 15, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    actually I did,
    shared the e-bay link, and at least they were honest to say it is not a scam, they are not the owners.
    I asked then I should contact the owner since the price difference is very steep. and they told I can they are nice people

I again thank leibish for their honesty, that is why everyone on the internet vouches for their trustworthiness

And I knew I would be paying a premium on any diamond but I think this is steep.

Charging not double but 220% of the original price is a bit too much

elle_71125, RosieR, seaurchin and 3 others like this.
  18. bludiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by bludiva » Mar 15, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    How interesting that they are the cutter! Before the internet enabled more direct to consumer sales there wouldn't have been an opportunity to buy from them I am guessing. Good find!

19. diagem
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by diagem » Mar 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    I know the Benma family very well.
    One of the most sophisticated professionals in very fine and rare gems.
    Just to clear up the cloud.

Also, I would suggest editing the title of this thread..

20. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » Mar 15, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    @ponchik - check out diagem's website and Instagram - he often lists coloured stones and may be able to source something to order. He also does awesome cutting ;-) :))

rockysalamander likes this.
  21. TreeScientist
    Brilliant_Rock

22. Bron357
    Ideal_Rock

by Bron357 » Mar 16, 2019 at 6:08 AM
    Lebish having a retail store in NYC will need to charge a lot more to cover their costs than the cutter who is based in Israel and uses eBay as a sales point. Though it’s a bit naughty of Leibish to indicate that all the diamonds on their website are personally “held” by them.
    I would go with the eBay vendor!

OoohShiny likes this.
  23. ponchik
    Rough_Rock

by ponchik » Mar 18, 2019 at 3:22 AM
    Hi thx for the info, I would like to change the topic of the thread but cant seem to find the button ?

Also if you know them, it would be great if you could let me know their contact info. I would try contact them and try to get someone to see the diamond there if possible.

24. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » Mar 18, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    You will have to hit the report concern on the bottom of the original post. It just alerts the moderator that you need help. Have a new subject in mind so they can change it.

lovedogs likes this.
  25. Karl_K
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Karl_K » Mar 18, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    Their website appears to be having issues but they are on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/Benma-Fancy-Color-Diamonds-353174104746859/

OoohShiny and lovedogs like this.