shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it a scam to have the same orange diamond ?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Retail markup of 100% or more isn't a lot as things go. You might be surprised.
I make no comment at all on the specific companies or stones under discussion- but I can say that, as a general rule, the days of 100% markup on diamonds are looooong gone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AAAARGH I must be blind ... I spent so much time looking at the Leibish website trying to find anything that said they actually owned or held all of their listed diamonds and couldn’t anything. At least they don’t plaster it all over their site. @Bron357 where did you see it?
For sure it’s a lot more expensive to have a retail store in NY .. but Leibish has an office in Israel and Hong Kong, as well as NY. Seems hard to justify a 100% markup other than the fact that someone will be foolish enough to pay it.
My bad!
I’m sure they used to say they had the diamonds in hand but I found this wording
“The vast majority of diamonds are held and owned by Leibish”

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
My bad!
I’m sure they used to say they had the diamonds in hand but I found this wording
“The vast majority of diamonds are held and owned by Leibish”

From what I read about them and their history, I think you’re right. It looks like owning their inventory had a lot to do with their excellent reputation. Times change, I guess.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like anyone else I guess they have chosen to expand their business model. But surely it isn’t good for their business to see a “Leibish diamond” and proceed thinking “all is good” to find out after payment that the diamond, held elsewhere and on perhaps on a dozen or more websites, had previously sold. It happens. Apart from the disappointment, you then have the hassle of getting a refund. Vendors can accept your payment in 6 seconds it seems, but a refund takes up to 2 weeks!

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
" but I can say that, as a general rule, the days of 100% markup on diamonds are looooong gone."

i have no knowledge of the the retail jewelry business (except as a customer $$$), but retail in general and furniture in particular can run from 1% (groceries) to 400% (some furniture.) It all depends. Think about all the 50% off sales you have ever seen. Half off and they're still making enough money to keep the doors open. If you mark it up 100% or 150%, then you are at least breaking even at 50% off.

Only the retail store owner or manager knows the sum total of the overhead and how much they need to charge to stay in business and make a good living. Or a very good living. :$$):

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results