shape
carat
color
clarity

Legitimacy of Ebay Natural Colombian Emerald

ProbablyDuped

Rough_Rock
I don't know very much about emeralds, so when looking online I assumed that some many of the cheap ones on ebay were simply cheap because of uneven color and multiple fractures. I purchased this 6.92 ct "emerald" for $18.98 from the ebay seller micha_mazzi . after receiving I started looking into the GGL Certificate and it doesn't seem to be any sort of reputable certification. it seems that all of the "emeralds" sold by this seller are cracked, and on mine some parts are a vivid green, while some are pale, and others completely clear. My end question is is this a legitimate emerald, or is it some form of quarts (or other stone) and if fake, how could I prove it such as in the public review to spare other potential buyers.
File_001.png IMG-5012.PNG IMG-5014.PNG

My pictures are below
IMG-5004.jpg IMG-5003.JPG
IMG-5006.jpg IMG-5007.jpg

Attachments

• File_001.png
    File_001.png
    553.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG-5013.PNG
    IMG-5013.PNG
    387.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-5006.jpg
    IMG-5006.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 18

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like green glass filled, who knows what. That said, for $18 it’s hardly surprising. Send it back if you can for a refund. eBay is just a marketplace, as a buyer you need to do your research and be aware that the world is full of dubious people who if not outright lying, the are bending the truth so far it’s a tangled knot! A half decent emerald is around $500 a carat, good quality $1,000 a carat, top line, $10,000 a carat or more. An emerald for $3 a carat isn’t going to be an “emerald” not matter what the “certificate” says.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but back to the problem. The listing says “100% natural”, the certificate says “enhanced”. Item is “not as described”, enhancement is not a natural process. Open an eBay dispute. State that the gem is not 100% natural as stated in the eBay listing. That you were misled by the seller saying it was “100% natural” when it isn’t. The gem itself It may well be beryl, which is what emerald, aquamarine and morganite are (but different colours of beryl) but it is altered, like I said by green dye /glass infusion.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh, I thought 1800 Dollar...

For 18,98 you want really discuss it - waste of time...

Put it in alcohol...

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
MY dinner at Applebees cost about that much. Sorry ...Buyer.Beware.

FM

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Research, research, research!
An emerald of this size and color would cost multiple thousands of dollars.
Before spending money on anything that you can't hold in your hand, you should be aware that you could get ripped off.
It looks like green colored quartz to me.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next time look at reputable sellers like
Finewater gems
Wild fish gems
Master cut gems
Precision gems
Etc...

Certification is AGL

For instance, here are some listings:
https://www.wildfishgems.com/emerald

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Dear All,
This is my first post. Therefore, first thanks to you all, I have spend many hours reading here and surfing into the vendor sites. It is an amazing place to learn. The whole gem world was so overwhelmingly complex when I started out, until I came here. Now, I decided to concentrate on one variety until I feel I know enough to move to another variety.
Hence, I study hard to become a knowledgeable beryl collector, my birthstone, as the 16 carat unheated aquamarine in my avatar. Beryl has so many varieties to offer, from cheap to very expensive.
Emerald is one of the beryls I don't have yet. I bought goshenite and aquamarine and golden beryl so far.
I looked through the links above, IMHO this looks the best value around one-carat:
www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/oil_only_sandawana_emerald_1_07/11054/19791
It is a bit silky (right word?) but if I understand correctly emeralds are bought more for their color than for fire? Though perhaps somewhat silly, I would love to own one of these sandawana emeralds before they disappear from the market (as I read they will, true?). I could not find a single Sandwana gem elsewhere that looked remotely as good as these.
Finally, I'm amazed about the hyper rarity-premium on emeralds that have not been oiled (like the terrific 0.89 linked above) but I don't mind oil as long as it is not colored. How do you feel about oiling in emeralds?
The other piece on my wish list is this:
https://awesomegems.com/cart/emerald-g3498.html
I like the clarity and color, but since production of Columbian emeralds seems unlimited, I could get one later.
Good God, I'm rambling on-and-on.....

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This may in fact be a natural emerald. It has been color enhanced. The seller told you the truth. Its a nice color and maybe worth keeping for the price. Just don't think of it as an emerald worth much.

Annette

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dear All,
This is my first post. Therefore, first thanks to you all, I have spend many hours reading here and surfing into the vendor sites. It is an amazing place to learn. The whole gem world was so overwhelmingly complex when I started out, until I came here. Now, I decided to concentrate on one variety until I feel I know enough to move to another variety.
Hence, I study hard to become a knowledgeable beryl collector, my birthstone, as the 16 carat unheated aquamarine in my avatar. Beryl has so many varieties to offer, from cheap to very expensive.
Emerald is one of the beryls I don't have yet. I bought goshenite and aquamarine and golden beryl so far.
I looked through the links above, IMHO this looks the best value around one-carat:
www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/oil_only_sandawana_emerald_1_07/11054/19791
It is a bit silky (right word?) but if I understand correctly emeralds are bought more for their color than for fire? Though perhaps somewhat silly, I would love to own one of these sandawana emeralds before they disappear from the market (as I read they will, true?). I could not find a single Sandwana gem elsewhere that looked remotely as good as these.
Finally, I'm amazed about the hyper rarity-premium on emeralds that have not been oiled (like the terrific 0.89 linked above) but I don't mind oil as long as it is not colored. How do you feel about oiling in emeralds?
The other piece on my wish list is this:
https://awesomegems.com/cart/emerald-g3498.html
I like the clarity and color, but since production of Columbian emeralds seems unlimited, I could get one later.
Good God, I'm rambling on-and-on.....

I think you should make a separate post so we can help you look for a beautiful emerald. :)

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Sabrina, yes, sorry for topic-napping, will learn and start new thread.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be a dyed anything from Asia, could be a legitimate treated emerald, that lab report is probably as bogus as the seller selling the stone.

If you want a pretty green rock it's an O.K price, don't put it near lemon juice, acid, cleaning products etc or the colour will probably run out of it. You will not find a decent emerald for that sort of price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results