shape
carat
color
clarity

Legit or Repro?

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Came across this garnet bracelet and thought it was gorgeous. My size too and I have tiny wrists.

No description on metal content, seller listed as garnet from 1830s. I didn't see any hallmarks either.

Any opinions on if it's legit or a repro?

il_794xN.1972570998_e8w7.jpg il_794xN.2020125965_6dr8.jpg il_794xN.1972571050_rpp2.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Most antique dealers would at least be able to test for gold content, if not for synthetic gemstones. The gold content helps them to price the item correctly. If this seller hasn’t mentioned it in the listing, seems a bit suspicious.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with @LorettaB . I have antique earrings without a stamp but my jeweler says they tested at least 18k. But even if not, it is gorgeous. I'm jealous of everyone who can wear non precious metals because of the intricate designs seen in vintage and antique pieces.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I contacted the seller and looks like the metal is pinchbeck. A new term to me!

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
That is just what I was going to post, it looks like pinchbeck, and the settings look authentic. I would say it is right for the time period but the stones are likely paste.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree, I was going to suggest pinchbeck also.
the gems may be garnets but glass is also a possibility.
The clasp, to me, is a problem as is. It’s going to be a risk keeping it “closed” and on your wrist. It is a very simple “push” clasp seemingly without a “notch” to connect and hold closed. No safety chain or over clip.
Pinchbeck is actually quite collectible though it has no precious metal content.
One red gem is chipped in half, it would be fiddly and expensive to get a replacement if you wanted to go that route (you’d need a custom cabochon cut and setting cost).
Price?
I would imagine a price around $150 reasonable keeping in mind it might be another $80 odd to replace the chipped gem.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The way that it’s made doesn’t look like most of the Victoria pieces I’ve seen. Assume that it’s repro and go for it if it’s priced fairly for costume.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Agree, I was going to suggest pinchbeck also.
the gems may be garnets but glass is also a possibility.
The clasp, to me, is a problem as is. It’s going to be a risk keeping it “closed” and on your wrist. It is a very simple “push” clasp seemingly without a “notch” to connect and hold closed. No safety chain or over clip.
Pinchbeck is actually quite collectible though it has no precious metal content.
One red gem is chipped in half, it would be fiddly and expensive to get a replacement if you wanted to go that route (you’d need a custom cabochon cut and setting cost).
Price?
I would imagine a price around $150 reasonable keeping in mind it might be another $80 odd to replace the chipped gem.

Thank you for the insightful response, Bron! I thought about how secure (or not secure) the clasp was going to be and figured it might turn into one of those pretty things that just sit in the jewelry box for fear it might break or get lost. I didn't even notice the chipped gem! How odd, it doesn't look chipped in the second picture.

The vendor is selling it for $100+ more on top of that price. I also thought it was a little pricey. I think I will pass, but it is still very pretty.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
The way that it’s made doesn’t look like most of the Victoria pieces I’ve seen. Assume that it’s repro and go for it if it’s priced fairly for costume.

Too much for me to spend on costume unfortunately!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results