shape
carat
color
clarity

Left it til last minute- Wedding Ring

Rusted

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I'm so out of my league lol

I need to choose a Wedding Ring and yes it's another Morganite thread lol. I spotted it and now I'm fixated, it has captivated me, just as she has. The stone is so her and I keep moving back to it as I try look at other stones as I've seen recommended through my lurking. You're a great knowledgeable bunch so I figured I should just join and seek advice. The Wedding is 7 weeks away so this has been left til the last minute and I know many Jewelers will ask 4-8 weeks.

Anyhow, I saw it said on here that you don't want to buy your Morganite with a Window and I was looking at the ones from SamnSue's which do come with a Window. I've probably left it too late to consider buying a Stone and having it set so I'll be at the mercy of Jewelers ready offerings. So yeah, what am I looking for in a good Morganite? And whats the deal with the Window? I tried googling but didn't have much luck. Any advice appreciate. Sorry, I know you probably all feel its been covered 1000x

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Are you looking for almost colourless or clearly pink?
2. Will she wear it gently or 24/7?
3. If you go with a calibrated size and go with a ready-made setting, you can still make your time line.

Budget?
Size of stone in mm?
Shape?

Window is a dead area due to poor faceting in an effort to keep as much weight as possible. The windowed area will not have any sparkle and you can see the finger underneath through the stone instead of seeing sparkle and colour.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
The deal with the window is that a window is an area in the stone where it is not cut to proper angles and just lets light go straight through, rather than reflecting it back to your eyes. So it looks like a dead spot in the middle of the stone. They are called "windows" because you can basically see straight through them. To evaluate one, look at the stone straight on from the top, and see if you can see through it in the center. You can see examples of windows here:

http://www.gemartservices.com/recutting.htm

As for finding a ring, are you talking about a wedding ring, which is traditionally a band (sometimes with small stones set along the band), or an engagement ring, which is traditionally the more blingy ring with a center stone?

Does she like morganite, or is this just something you stumbled onto and think is awesome? Since the wedding is already planned and coming up quickly, I think it would be a really good idea to talk to her and make sure you know what she wants, since she's the one who will be wearing it. Also while it's not the most fragile stone out there, do know it's probably not a 24/7 wear stone, she'll want to be somewhat careful with it and should probably take it off for showering, sleeping, housework, etc.

It's possible to find a nice stone and get it set in your time frame, but you'd probably have to go with a stock setting that a jeweler has on hand, so you'd want to stick with a standard sized stone.

http://www.earthstreasury.com/product-category/gemstones/morganite/ (the second one I think looks nice)

Rusted

Rough_Rock
Thanks for quick reply Chrono..

1) We like the peachy pink but don't want one too washed out of color
2) Thats a grey area lol.. she wants a smaller ring but I said she has to let me buy her something for the day and occasions, a smaller ring can come later :)
3) Ok, I would like to choose out the stone and have it set but its not something I really am keyed in on

-Budget is not large, was looking around $1500 AUS, $2000 max which is about $1100 US to $1500 US
-Was originally looking at the 10x8 with diamond halo from SamnSue's
-Started looking at Cushions but have seen some Portugese(?) Cuts just tonight, I don't know my shapes real well sorry

Rusted

Rough_Rock
Deskjockey thanks for your reply, you made the window thing real clear with that link. The difference is incredible

In regards to the stone she does like it and neither of us are diamond inclined, we feel they do great for complimenting other stones but are boring on their own. So we are agreed on the Rose Gold and Morganite, the only split is that she is happy with something small but I'd like something for the day and for formal occasions and will buy her a smaller ring after the Wedding

This is what we have been looking at..

https://samnsue.com/engagement/morganite-engagement-ring-10x8-cushion-diamond-halo-rose-gold-2623rmo

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am doubtful you will be impressed with it in person.

1. Shank is hollowed out towards the top to lower the cost but in return, it will not be as durable.
2. Diamond clarity is listed as I, which means it will likely be cloudy and/or has eye visible specks.
3. The construction of these types of commercial rings are typically poor, so expect melees to fall out during normal wear.

Rusted

Rough_Rock
Yea I had no intention of buying that ring as it's ludicrously priced and out of my price range. However I have found a similar Morganite stone from a dealer and was at about 6.5ct.. was just asking in regard to the ring setting and could get it with VS1-2 diamonds. What would the ring setting cost to sit a 6.5ct stone 13mm x 11mm x 8mm roughly

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good quality halo setting is going to cost you in the 3K range. Given the size of the morganite and all those diamonds, it could cost more. Also, 13 x 11 mm is huge! Add the halo and the ring will end up around 15 x 13 mm. The 8 mm depth means the stone will sit up around 10 mm high, making it more likely to spin, catch on things and knocked about. Depending on her finger size, it could end up covering her finger and more, which makes it impractical to wear on a daily basis.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1449003251|3956115 said:

I also vote for looking at one of these rings. Julia B has lovely gems and settings!! A ring the size you're talking about is more like a right hand cocktail ring!

Rusted

Rough_Rock
Nvm, I'm over it already. Morganite is not worth peanuts especially todays leftover washed out crust being sold to this generation by Boomers. Same like the chocolate diamonds and the rest of the marketed crust at outrageous prices. I'll go with the small ring of whatever sort and it can be a financial write off, coz none of this crap on offer today is worth a dime in resale unless you're making a serious investment. So, over it. Bye all

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rusted|1449008660|3956155 said:
Nvm, I'm over it already. Morganite is not worth peanuts especially todays leftover washed out crust being sold to this generation by Boomers. Same like the chocolate diamonds and the rest of the marketed crust at outrageous prices. I'll go with the small ring of whatever sort and it can be a financial write off, coz none of this crap on offer today is worth a dime in resale unless you're making a serious investment. So, over it. Bye all

This is a very confusing progression of a thread. Did something here upset you, or am I missing something? :confused: :confused:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Rusted|1449008660|3956155 said:

:confused: huh? Kind of weird to be talking about resale when this is supposed to be a wedding ring...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get it either. It is supposed to be a symbol of their marriage but I guess he thought it should also be an investment. For laypeople like us, we generally make more money investing in other things than coloured stones. We buy them because we think they are very pretty and enjoy wearing them. Those investing in CS tend to have gems that are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars apiece or even millions of dollars apiece.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Storytelling 101..........from under the bridge. :roll:

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Why do people do this? Who has the time to post on a forum they clearly have no interest in?

Chrono, you have infinite patience, answering every question, no matter the source.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono-I learned a lot from your detailed post -thank you.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Very odd! :confused:

Chrono, I appreciated the info in your post as well. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results