shape
carat
color
clarity

Learning stone: pleasantly surprised!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
So! - I thought I was visiting the CS forum to learn about one project only: my ering. BUT even though I have purchased my ering stone, I am still looking, planning and lusting after coloured stones! I bought a very very cheap peach-pink tourmaline from Tan in an impulse as a "learning stone", and it arrived today. The colours in the video drew me in. I really didn't expect too much from it in person, but I am definitely pleasantly surprised! It has a lovely golden glow to it, and definitely has quite a strong amount of pink in with the peach (not sure if I captured that very well)...

Tan peach-pink tourmaline.JPG

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Couple more pics:
And a couple with my Barry ering tourmaline:

I feel that if it were surrounded by yellow gold it would look very beautiful (and lose its window!), but I am not sure if such a cheap stone should have an expensive setting? - but then, if I love it, why not...?

(PS. this post has been brought to you by Mr. Owl in the corner ;)) )

peach and green tourmaline glow.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that last picture! Its fun when you buy a cheap stone not expecting much and it turns out better than expected!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, not only did you get a happy stone to learn on, your photography is super, too!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
tyty: Thank you! I was pleased to get at least one shot that gave me as much glow and fizz as I was seeing in person. I'm rather happy for a single-figure sum stone :naughty: and there's no hurry for me to set it, if at all...

JewelFreak: Aw, you are sweet; I think my photography is sadly lacking (I had to take gazillions of shots to get these final ones!) - but I think I pretty fairly represented the stone's colours and fire in the end. Plus it gave me even more time to fall in love with my ering stone while we're sorting out my setting... *excited!*

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Love cheapy stones from Tan. I have a few awesome ones I got for less than $20 can't beat that!

It's such a nice and unique color too. Congrats!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks davi! I love your glowy Chrysoberyl from Tan. I'm looking at more cheaper stones now, what with the success of this one! TSK
I think I should stop buying for now, and get to know the ones I have (I have two very pretty inexpensive Bob Kast stones on the way too... :oops: )

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
From what I hear, Bob Kast cuts a mean stone! A great way to learn about cut :D

If you are interested, definitely ask his assistant lots of questions. She's very knowledgeable and won't blow smoke up your bum :D

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Rebecca? She was very helpful last week when I was buying these gems. I'll definitely pick her brains about any questions I have then - thanks for the tip! :D

I have a spess and a sapphire coming: the sapphire in particular really spoke to me - it technically has undesirable elements (will appear grey most of the time, has a clear inclusion) but those were precisely why I felt I had to have it! :lol: So much character! I also thought both of the cuts on them were just gorgeous. Can't wait to receive them!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
She is great, I agree

And I think I know the sapphire you're talking about! I was looking at that one too :D Post pictures!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Hee! I certainly will! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results