shape
carat
color
clarity

le creuset dutch oven anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anyname

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone has or have had a le creuset dutch oven. Is it worth the price? Was there anything you didn''t like about it? Thanks for your input.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 10:56:18 PM
Author:popcorn
Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone has or have had a le creuset dutch oven. Is it worth the price? Was there anything you didn''t like about it? Thanks for your input.
I have the risotto one my MIL brought me as an engagement present from Australia.

I LOVE it.

The only thing I don''t like - the weight, but that can''t be helped. I use it a lot. When we move to a house, I''m going to get a regular round one...not sure what size yet.

Yes, worth the price, but I would probably go to the outlet not far from me and by a seconds one.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I love mine. I was lucky to get it 40% off at Bloomindales, though.

ETA: Ditto Tgal on the weight; it's heavy!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
They are gorgeous but At Full price NO.
Mine got stained very fast, food changed taste overtime after using tomato base foods, and I do take care of my pots/pans
8.gif

Marshalls/homegoods do carry them, for half $ very few colors.
I purchased Mario Bitali''s for around $100 and very happy with it, my SIL has Tramontina Sterling [$60 same size] so far so good.
Very heavy, great for braising/chili/stews/no knead breads, but I think they should be used daily ie quick soups, pasta/potatoes,etc.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 11:28:58 PM
Author: Lulie

They are gorgeous but At Full price NO.
Mine got stained very fast, food changed taste overtime after using tomato base foods, and I do take care of my pots/pans
8.gif

Marshalls/homegoods do carry them, for half $ very few colors.
I purchased Mario Bitali''s for around $100 and very happy with it, my SIL has Tramontina Sterling [$60 same size] so far so good.
Very heavy, great for braising/chili/stews/no knead breads, but I think they should be used daily ie quick soups, pasta/potatoes,etc.
Cast Iron is an incredibly flexible material, and enameled cast iron is even better for long life.

My husband and I have 3 dutch ovens - a 7 qt. (?) Mario Batali from C&B, a 6.5 qt. Rachel Ray, and our newest, a 3.5 qt. Le Creuset.

Quite honestly, the Mario Batali is just as nice as the Le Creuset. The Batali is larger (the LC is a 3.5 qt round), but they both seem to weigh the right amount for their respective sizes, and frankly, enameled cast iron is enameled cast iron. The RR has been beaten up, gone into the dishwasher, into the oven despite the plastic handle, it''s our work horse, so the enamel is starting to chip in places. I use my dutch ovens for nearly everything, making stocks, on the stone and in the oven for hours, braising, stews, soups . . . lots of things.

I''d recommend the LC only if you can buy it at Outlet prices. If not, the Batali is awesome and actually comes in WHITE (they just had bone when we were shopping a couple years ago)!
1.gif

anyname

Shiny_Rock
thank you all so much. Luckily, there is a LC outlet near me, I''m going to check it out. So i guess sauteing with a LC is out of the question?
25.gif

Lulie what do you mean that the taste of food changes? I''ve heard of that before? Does it taste more burnt? Or tomatoey?

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I noticed a metal flavor [very mild] right after DH braised lamb w/tomato base
15.gif
I''m sure he also used lemon or vinegar, I knew there was going to be a problem bc when we washed there was a deeper tint inside and the metal taste never went away
38.gif

I''ve looked at Rachel Ray''s [loved the price] but orange it''s not my thing
23.gif

Oh you''re soooooo lucky to have a LC outlet, I''d def go for it.....I always sautee tons of onion/peppers ''fresh'' tomato, etc. if I had one near by I''d give them another try
36.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I really wanted to get a le creuset dutch oven, but my le creuset casserole dish BROKE - split in half - while in the oven, and while I''m still trying to figure out what I did wrong (that CAN''T be normal), I''ve taken the le creuset off of my wishlist for now.

rockin11

Shiny_Rock
I love my LC! I use it for everything. I have (I just counted) 12 pots/dutch ovens and at least 6 skillets. My fav is the big giant soup pot. I like that you have the option on some of their pots to get a skillet that doubles as a lid. I have not used any other brand of cast iron so I have no idea what their performance would be. I would think that they would be just as good. I love cooks illustrated and they do lots of unbiased(sorta like food and cooking consumer reports) reviews of all sorts of products and I know that they have done a few on cast iron and dutch ovens. They have a magazine as well as a website. I think a year subscription to the website is fairly cheap. You can go and search recipes and reviews they have done. We always go there before we buy anything..even a can opener LOL I know that you can get a free trial so you may want to read what they have to say. Maybe that will help with your decision.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I also subscribe to Cooks Illustrated and because of it (and also because of the salespeople at Sur La Table who really liked Batali), actually ended up with the Mario Batali instead (originally planning 100% to get Le Creuset) - the colors are better IMO in the Batali, and Cooks Illustrated rated it just as good - it gave both Le Creuset and Batali equivalent ratings, but Batali was half the price. The Batali is 1 1/2 pounds heavier, but when you get that heavy I can't even tell a difference side to side (yes, I looked at them side by side, and even held them side by side at Sur La Table!)

From Cooks Illustrated Jan/Feb '07 issue:

Le Creuset 7 1/4 qt, diam 9 3/4 in, weight 13.7# $229.95 enameled cast iron with phenolic lid knob
stew, fries, and rice all got 3 stars (the max rating)

Batali Italian Essentials by Copco 6 qt, diam 9 3/4, weight 15.2# $99.99 enamed cast iron with cast stainless steel knob

FWIW, Cooks Illustrated actually rated a pan from Target as a best buy - it was the Chefmate Round Enameled Cast Iron Casserole for Target for $39.99 enamed cast iron with phenolic lid knob. 5qt, 8 1/4 in, 11.6#
- I have no experience with this one though

Batali also makes a smaller one (Risotto pot - I think it may be exclusive to Sur La Table) that is a very ideal size and weight to have for couscous, Jambalaya, etc. The inside of that one is rounded at the bottom which is nice for stirring the corners.
I use both the larger and smaller ones - my fav color that he has is the Chianti

I agree with others that once you have this stuff (whatever brand you choose!) you will love it!
HTH!

anyname

Shiny_Rock
hmmm...thanks for all the great info. I''ll check out Mario Batali''s line as well.

lulie so don''t use lemons or vinegar with cast iron?

elmorton i can''t believe it broke! I thought those things were pretty much indestructible.

rockin11 and :) i think a friend of mine has a subscription to Cook''s Illustrated. I''ll look into it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
tomato sauce based dishes should not be cooked in raw cast iron.
If it is enameled and in good shape then it's ok.
The shouldn't be cooked in cast aluminum either.
They should be cooked in stainless stock pots.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a LC dutch oven (not sure of the size, a mid sized one) and I LOVE IT!!! FI gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago and I''m sure he paid full price (which I would never do!). We use it for just about everything and I always put it in the dishwasher. It''s great for roasting chicken!

I''ve often wondered about the other enameled cast iron pots/pans. Are they as good? They should be, because even at the discounted price, they''re still frickin expensive!!

skimmy

Rough_Rock
it''s only worth the price if you use it. and that really depends on what you cook...
stews, braises, pot roast (i''m missing quite a few but you get the general idea)...all great in a dutch oven.

the enamel makes it extremely easy to clean and much easier to care for (to me) than the lodge.
(although i love my lodge too.)

fwiw, i went for an oval shape b/c i thought it could hold a chicken better (as i think whole chickens tend
to be more rectangular (oval) than square (round)).

happy cooking!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:21:25 AM
Author: Elmorton
I really wanted to get a le creuset dutch oven, but my le creuset casserole dish BROKE - split in half - while in the oven, and while I''m still trying to figure out what I did wrong (that CAN''T be normal), I''ve taken the le creuset off of my wishlist for now.

You should research this. I think they offer a warranty with their products (or they should given the price tag!). A casserole dish should not break in the oven. Was it really cold when you put in in?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
For those with chips or a broken pot, they are pretty liberal about replacing under warranty.

CAST IRON LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY*

LE CREUSET® OF AMERICA, INC.

What does this warranty cover?
Le Creuset cookware is warranted to you by Le Creuset of America, inc., to be free from defects in material and workmanship at the time of its purchase. For this Lifetime Limited Warranty to apply, you must follow the care and use instructions provided with the utensil. This warranty covers normal household use only.
What does this warranty not cover?
This warranty does not cover damage from abuse, commercial use or other non-consumer use, neglect, abnormal wear or tear, overheating, or any use not in accordance with the cookware instructions provided with the utensil. This warranty does not cover damages such as the cost of repairing or replacing other property that is damaged due to a defect in the utensil, the cost for transportation of the utensil to get warranty service, loss of time, loss of use, or other consequential or incidental damages.
Who is covered by this warranty?
This Lifetime Limited Warranty covers the original retail consumer purchaser of the utensil, or a consumer who receives the utensil new and unused as a gift from the original retail purchaser. Coverage terminates if a covered consumer sells or otherwise transfers the utensil. (This warranty is provided only to consumers, and all express and implied warranties to non-consumers are disclaimed).
How long does this warranty last?
This Lifetime Limited Warranty extends from date of purchase and for as long as a covered consumer owns the utensil.
How does state law apply to this warranty?
This Lifetime Limited Warranty does not extend any implied warranty provided by any state law to a consumer. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. (Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you)
What will we do?
Defective cookware will be replaced, free of charge, or replaced by a similar product or one of equivalent value if the utensil is no longer in production. Replacement with the same color of cookware cannot be guaranteed.
How do you get service?
To make a claim under this Lifetime Limited Warranty, you must call our helpline at 1-877-CREUSET (273-8738) to obtain a return authorization number PRIOR to mailing your cookware to us.

After you receive the authorization number, mail the cookware (postage prepaid) to the address below. We recommend using a trackable means to return your cookware as Le Creuset of America, Inc. is not responsible for damages, lost or stolen merchandise. Please enclose your return address and a brief note explaining the defect. Be advised the normal turn around time on returns is between 2-4 weeks after receipt of an item

LE CREUSET OF AMERICA, INC.
ATTN: CONSUMER SERVICES
114 Bob Gifford Blvd.
Early Branch, SC 29916 USA

This Lifetime Limited Warranty is made solely by LE CREUSET OF AMERICA, INC., and no other person or entity. This Lifetime Limited Warranty is the only express warranty provided for the utensil. We want you to get the very best from your new Le Creuset® utensil.
For help and advice, dial the following toll free helpline:
1-877-CREUSET (273.8738)
or e-mail us at:
[email protected]

* The lifetime limited warranty does not apply to cookware products with a non-stick coating, non-cast iron pieces and accessories.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 11:47:18 PM
Author: popcorn
hmmm...thanks for all the great info. I''ll check out Mario Batali''s line as well.

lulie so don''t use lemons or vinegar with cast iron?
I wish I had the right answer....DH marinated the lamb w/all kinds of herbs, tomato paste and lemon juice w/rind for 24 in the fridge then braised it. My guess: marinated for a longer period and then cooked for the longest as usual
25.gif
Perhaps it was a deffective piece
33.gif
I''m very, very happy w/Batali''s but would try LC again in white for the right price
9.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
surprised no one has mentioned Staub, yet.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Timely thread. Does anyone know if LC maks different qualities of cookware? I saw some items today and price compared elsewhere and there was a different of hundreds of $$ per item--do they make entry levels and upward?

I am concerned now you mention a metal taste--I prepare duck confit in the same casserole dish now...do not want a metal taste if it is in the same dish for a long time.....

cheers--Sharon

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Sharon - can''t comment on the differing levels.

But, I did get one at Williams-Sonoma the other day, my first one ever, and I''m thrilled with the performance so far - its been amazing
36.gif
36.gif

elle

Shiny_Rock
No metal taste with mine - both enameled and cast iron interiors.

If you''re purchasing LC at the outlets, they have different grades as in 1st and 2nd quality etc. 1st- where it is immaculate condition perhaps just a discontinued colour, 2nd - small flaws like there may be a spot where the enameling didn''t quite cover. Outlet goods are still covered by the LC warranty.

anyname

Shiny_Rock
i just wanted people to know that there is a great sale at the LC outlet in Leesburg Va. I don''t know if other outlets are having the same sale, but I would imagine so. So if you live near one, check it out. Also, Le Gourmet Chef is having a going out of business sale and they have Mario Batali cast iron stuff on sale.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I have the 7.25 quart and use it at least once a week. I make a lot of soups and its the perfect size. It was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 10:01:27 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Timely thread. Does anyone know if LC maks different qualities of cookware? I saw some items today and price compared elsewhere and there was a different of hundreds of $$ per item--do they make entry levels and upward?

I am concerned now you mention a metal taste--I prepare duck confit in the same casserole dish now...do not want a metal taste if it is in the same dish for a long time.....

cheers--Sharon
HI:

I think I''ve solved the mystery....I was comparing the cast iron cookware to the (all) ceramic without knowing....

cheers--Sharon

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I have two - a big one and a small one. Forget what quart sizes they are.

I use the big one frequently and the small one not so much. I bought them at Marshall''s as seconds, but I can''t find an obvious flaw on either of them.

I''m pretty sure that all enameled cast iron would cook similarly, but I liked the name and appearance better, so I paid for it
1.gif

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man - I LOVE my Le Creuset collection - I have a 4qt soup pot, a 2.5qt dutch oven, 5.5qt dutch oven, 7.25qt oval dutch oven, and the 3.5qt buffet.

I think the dutch oven size I use the most is my 5.5qt, next to my buffet pot which I probably use every day. I use the 5.5qt at least 3 times a week, but it''s only DH and me in the house - if/when we have children, I think the 7.25 qt will be the go-to pot, maybe it will even give me an excuse to purchase the 9qt!
31.gif

I love my pots - I''ve been using them for a few years now, and I absolutely adore using them - they making cooking fun!! I''m also building a collection of some of Le Creuset''s new stainless line - comparable to All Clad in every way - but a bit more pocket-friendly
1.gif

You''ll love LC''s....they are wonderful and a joy to have in the kitchen!

PS - I have my whole collection in Kiwi
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Anyone used their pots to deep fry with?

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results