shape
carat
color
clarity

Lazare or 8star?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toynaround

Rough_Rock
Getting conflicting opinions from local dealers as to which is best. Anyway to be objective in judging these brands?

Which do you think is best 8star, Lazare, Hearts on Fire?

thanks,

Confused

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The 8star will look different than the other two which will look similar to eachother. The 8star has more disopersion and the other two ought to be a little greater in white light return. You have to make your own mind up about what YOU like better. I imagine the 8star will be the highest priced of the three, but that depends on the quality of each one along with their weights.

toynaround

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info, I will do my own subjective viewing and post my thoughts.

What's your preference of the three brands, assuming the prices were equal?

Less confused

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it is not really fair of me to comment on what my preferences are. I have such a different perspective on this subject than a consumer and I have eyes that see things about diamonds that cannot be well explained.

I really believe that any one of these three will be great looking and only be separated by the tiniest visible differences if they are of the same weight, color and clarity. If you see something about them that makes you like one over the other two, that is "the one".

Everyone vendor and marketer has a large stake in their own branded product. I don't want to be seen as picking favorites and making enemies where I truly am a neutral player. I hope everyone can understand my position.

Maybe some consumers will chime in and tell you what they liked or disliked about one or more of these types. Those perspectives may be subjective, but more useful to you as they are consumer's viewpoints.

toynaround

Rough_Rock
Dave,

Thanks for the advice, I was able to view an 8star, Lazare, Hearts on Fire, AGS000, and a GIA "premium cut" at the same time, all were VS2's, weights were very close and all were g's expect one was an H.

From my perspective as a consumer's with little diamond viewing experience, I found the results interesting. I was most impressed with the 8-star, the diamonds visual symmetry to the naked eye is obvious. Off axis viewing indoors and outdoors provided more "fire" and sparkle of colors . It sparkled more consistent as the stone was rotated as well. I also noticed it looked "whiter" than the other G's. While the Lazare, Hearts on Fire, and AGS000 looked very good, to me they were not alot of differences from the GIA "premiuim" cut. I actually preferred the "Premium" cut over the Lazare, 000, and Hearts on Fire.

We then decided to view all through the firescope, needless to say the 8-star looked the best. Again suprisingly the "premium cut" the cheapest of all stones looked the next best for light leakage. The Lazare and Hearts on FIre, were almost identical and the 000 was the poorest with the most light leakage. The Lazare, Hearts on Fire and 000 did have better symmetry than the premium.

I don't know if this was a truly fair and objective test (which is not feasible for a consumer) but for me It came down to the "premium" cut or the 8star, the least and most expensive.

Fortunately, my bride to be is not stuck on having a huge stone so I'm able to afford the 8star and based on my experience I think the price difference is worth it. I bought the 8star, VS2, G .84

No longer confused

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have doen a great job. So much to compare and look at. Price does not always dictate what you'll like best or second best. There is no doubt the 8star has a different cand compelling "look" that most other diamonds don't have. The issue is do you like that look the best or not? I can't answer that for people, but you did a great job.

Thanks for the detailed report on your efforts.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
8* probably have the strictest reproducable quality control of those stones (the GIA can be the most varied).

Other branded cuts like 'A Cut above' and 'SuperbCert' have very tight parameters too for symmetry.

Interesting that you noted that symmetry by itself is not the most important thing. The 8* people cut a shallower stone than the other group tend to, and I am a strong believer in this. They also cut a shorter main pavilion facet that gives a darker star and more fire comes out of this star, but the other things they do tend to reduce the scintillation but increase the "whiteness" and percieved size of the stone. You did well to observe these things - better than most industry experts who are trained to see features and not benefits.

Congratulations :)

Tarpon44

Rough_Rock
I am going to be buying a diamond soon and was looking at either an 8* or superbcert. I am unfortunantly in a region that will not allow me to view either. I have seen HOF, but that is all. How should I make my decision? Can anyone describe the difference?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
it is a little like choosing a religion, only less logical :)

They, and other names like A Cut Above are brands that provide some certantity of quality control. All are very nice diamonds so if you want to buy a branded diamond then you will be safe with any of them (and there are others too - but these are ones you will find to be very popular round these parts).

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
If you'd like to see an EightStar, email [email protected] and explain. They will help you to find a dealer who can assist you or they will assist you themselves.

EightStar believes they are the best and I agree with them but the only way to know if they are what you think are best is to see for yourself. They do have a different look which I love but it's all down to individual preference when it comes to choosing between the best of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results