shape
carat
color
clarity

Lazare Kaplan. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

impyshaz

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Yesterday was the day I set aside to stop looking online and actually go see some diamonds in person. I went to a reputable local jewelry store where they take you into an office and show you the diamonds in the same setting that they buy them in, without fancy lighting or anything like that. They bust out the black light, and give you a loupe, it was very nice. I asked to see the difference in sizes between .5, .6. .75, .8, .85, .9, and 1ct and he happily obliged, bringing out each at the same time so I could compare. He also brought out different clarities and let me look at my heart's content. Another big point I wanted to get clear is how easily it would be for me to tell the difference between the color of diamonds. I could point out a H and I stone when next to other "whiter" stones, but I found that the color on their own did not bother me as much as I thought it would. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience, especially letting my girl try on the Gelin Abaci tension setting she is so in love with (I think she kept it on the entire meeting).

Anyway, the only "branded" diamond they carry at their store, which in its own way is commendable is diamonds from Lazare Kaplan. They definitely have some beautiful stones, and I was wondering if anybody out there has a stone of theirs? Or perhaps if there are any "experts" who have any experience working with the stones, and if so; what are your opinions?

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a girl here last year who got one. They are comparable, apparently, to the hearts and arrows, ideal cut stones most here prefer. Whether it is a good deal or not is something you''d have to look at. Do a price search above under Prices (by cut...excellent) and see what prices you come up with for similar stones. You just don''t want to overpay too much just for the name since there are other comparable diamonds.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there!

I am no expert and do not own a Lazare either, but I have looked at several a few times at a local store and whilst I can''t remember the parameters of their stones (which are printed out on a Lazare leaflet - free at the store carrying the brand), they are quite beautiful. The premium however is very very hefty and I''d venture to say that you''re better off looking at the vendors a lot of PS''ers have bought from (I haven''t bought from one, but hoping to do so some time soon!
1.gif
).

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
It''s been a while since I ran across a kaplan stone on the wheel. Early on in my career I saw quite a few of them They do have a few levels of cut since then. Even their "ideal cuts" vary.

overall, you may not get the patterning that''s being marketed today, but you will generally get a well above average stone.

Bill

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 10:15:44 AM
Author: He Scores

It''s been a while since I ran across a kaplan stone on the wheel. Early on in my career I saw quite a few of them They do have a few levels of cut since then. Even their ''ideal cuts'' vary.

overall, you may not get the patterning that''s being marketed today, but you will generally get a well above average stone.

Bill
That''s been my experience also viewing them at local dealers.
They were well cut but only about 1/2 their ideal cuts I saw would be considered h&a here.
One of the ladies I know from Church has a older 60/60 cut by them that is very nice.

I view them a lot like 8* they were hot at one time but now the other players have caught up and in a lot of cases passed them by.
The one nice thing about them is that they were less outrageously priced than hof for similar cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results