shape
carat
color
clarity

Lavender Sapphire Ring, Yes or No?

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
I need your honest thoughts on this lavender sapphire.

Background: A number of years ago I had a chance to buy this ring from an estate jeweler. I ended up passing on it in favor of a yellow diamond (which is another story). The ring ended up disappearing from the display case so I assumed it had sold. Actually, the store owners had the ring in their safety deposit box. I now may have the opportunity once again to have this ring.

Dilemma: I love the cushion shape, size, feminine color, and the wearability of sapphire in general. The ring also is very comfortable. What I don't love is the window. I know recutting is a possibility and has worked well for others but I am hesitant so probably would not go that route. I am wondering if a different setting style could deemphasize it. Honest thoughts on the stone or ring? Note, I would send to AGL prior to purchase.

20170805_132420.jpg

1396.jpeg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is painfully beautiful ! I do not mind the very obvious window - then, I am likely the only one around here... I would enjoy the transparent pool of violet.

Then, I would ask for consultation re. recut. E.g. the classical ring design could use a symmetrical face, and tinkering with the crown lightly, may well not have any unwanted consequences (which are not unpredictable, up to 'reasonable doubt') ... What is or not done with the pavilion would have some startling effect on a lighter colour like this & it is for a cutter to tell with the ring in hand. IHMO, it is not unusual at all to ask for such possibilities when buying a sapphire of some girth. A few shops would provide in-house.

Just a thought ...

Nice to see such a beauty !

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It certainly is a beautiful colour and style.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color on this one.:love:

The window is pretty large and would really bother me, personally, but I'm not sure what it would take to close it up. How much would you lose in carat weight or more importantly, saturation. Would it be worth the cost it would take to buy the ring, have it cut, and reset it in a new setting?

On the other hand, you have been thinking about this ring for a number of years so I would hate for you to feel like your missing out. I'm torn on this one.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is beautiful...crystal and dreamy color. It's stunning, and wonderfully large! I'm with Valeria, I don't mind the window because the color is still present within it. I know this bothers many but in some rare cases, it really can be almost charming and add character and personality.
I cant advise about a different setting possibly closing the window because I've never changed settings for that reason.
What does your heart tell you about the stone? Is it a piece that you will never forget having passed up?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful ring.

Second chances don't happen too often in life, when they do it's usually for a reason IMO. What was your initial reaction to find out the ring was still available? That initial feeling might tell you all you need to know=)2

amyek

Rough_Rock
If it were me, I'd snap that LARGE sapphire up and send it to my magician buddy Dan Stair for a pav recut. He has never recut a stone to where I couldn't use the setting again when he recuts the pav only. He is always able to close windows for me. You clearly want it if it is still tugging at you after several years.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it and would take it as in but prong city has to go!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I'd snap that LARGE sapphire up and send it to my magician buddy Dan Stair for a pav recut. He has never recut a stone to where I couldn't use the setting again when he recuts the pav only. He is always able to close windows for me. You clearly want it if it is still tugging at you after several years.

I'd say you have been extremely fortunate since this is very rare.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go for it. If it's untreated and this size, very rare. Somebody will be able to close to some extent the window.

amyek

Rough_Rock
I'd say you have been extremely fortunate since this is very rare.

Perhaps. He's done this for me at least a half a dozen times though. Dan is amazing.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for it. If it's untreated and this size, very rare. Somebody will be able to close to some extent the window.
Couldn't agree more. Very rare, and hard to find in this size and wonderful, unique color with clear crystal. It would be less rare if heated, but still not easy to find.
One of my jewelers here had one similar in color and size, with a very off centered native cut. Sold in a few days and was very expensive.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to look at this thread and offer opinions and suggestions. I appreciate them all.

Current plan is to have a gemologist take an initial look at the rstone for heating (not a deal breaker but I would like to have some idea) or other treatments (deal breaker). Depending on the initial assessment, if I decide I am still interested it will go to AGL.

amyek - thanks for mentioning Dan Stair. I will likely reach out to him for guidance on what can and can't be done without sacrificing the color (which is my favorite thing about it).

Bluegemz - I have never really thought of the window as charming until you mentioned it. I am drawn to older cut diamonds for the charm and personality so, yes, the window does lend sort of that same antique charm to the stone. I think I will talk to Dan to get his opinion. If I could have the pavilion slightly modified to make the window a little less distracting but still keep the charm, that might be ideal for me. And....yes my heart did a happy dance when I realized the ring was in reach again.

StephanieLynn - I agree about second chances being rare. I feel extremely fortunate. I likely won't have such an opportunity again. That said, it is a great find at a solidly reasonable price but still a lot pennies.....so hence my hesitancy.

Thanks again everyone!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with what everyone has posted here. Second chances don't happen often (I just jumped on an out of the blue second chance yesterday and am so happy that I did). It is so lovely and if the window ends up bugging you then have it recut. That colour though... it is my favourite. I could get lost in that ring and the window would not bug me one bit. Eager to here what the testing results are regarding heat!

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the decision is made, but.....I just can't handle a window that large, in spite of the size of the sapphire.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly in that stone the window does not bother me. It is an incredible stone (swoon)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results