shape
carat
color
clarity

Lavender or Purple Tourmaline Questions?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello ;))
I was browsing a resale site and came across a gemstone ring that was listed as a purple tourmaline. Since I haven’t seen much if anything about purple tourmalines here, I ordered it out of curiosity. The seller has a generous return policy and I figured I would return it if I didn’t like it.
The stone is a pretty lavender color very similar to Rose de France amethyst and it is loaded with clear inclusions. I’ve been trying to find more info on purple tourmaline, but haven’t come up with much. I did find info that said some purple tourmaline can be heated to Paraiba. I’m wondering how I would know if this would be a candidate? I’m also curious if purple tourmalines are hard to come by? I don’t know whether or not I should keep this ring or return it... I’m not a fan of all of the inclusions in the stone, but if it’s a hard to find color I could overlook them. The rings is also a little on the bold style for me, but I do like it. The stone was sold to me as 4+ct in 14K white gold with diamonds and the ring was $500. Any input would be appreciated =)2
The lighting is not good today so this is the best I could do to capture its color:
B4B040AB-2A9E-4F01-868B-9AF11D4EF96C.jpeg
2D12E11E-B288-400C-966A-B286282B2A54.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's the risk of the stone not surviving the heating process, especially when heavily included. I've read enough stories of lapidaries heating tourmaline and it not going well.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest that you keep it if you love it, not just because it’s rare. And if your plan is to heat it, heed Chrono’s advice.

I’ve seen a couple purple/lavender tourmalines, not too many. There is a cuprian lavender/blue/violet tourmaline for sale from The Gemstone Project currently. Not as saturated as that one, but might be a bit cleaner:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/222...let-tourmaline-copper?ref=shop_home_active_52

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There's the risk of the stone not surviving the heating process, especially when heavily included. I've read enough stories of lapidaries heating tourmaline and it not going well.
Thanks @chrono ! I definitely don’t want the stone to explode or crack so I’ll leave it as is :)). I would hate to see the stone destroyed!

I would suggest that you keep it if you love it, not just because it’s rare. And if your plan is to heat it, heed Chrono’s advice.

I’ve seen a couple purple/lavender tourmalines, not too many. There is a cuprian lavender/blue/violet tourmaline for sale from The Gemstone Project currently. Not as saturated as that one, but might be a bit cleaner:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/222...let-tourmaline-copper?ref=shop_home_active_52
Thanks for the advice @NKOTB ! I do already have far too many stones that I have kept because I thought they were a good find and not because I loved them. The stone in the ring is a very pretty color even though it can look washed out at times, but I think I could find a precision cut eye clean Rose de France in the same color that I would like even more. I’m going to sleep on it, but will most likely return the ring because of the inclusions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a rare color for tourmaline. I have one just like it, but I keep it as a specimen and out of rarity. It is like a pale amethyst. Who knows, maybe it will be in a museum one day, or yours? :D

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It’s my understanding that the more violet ones that are this color, as Elle is selling, are heated to blue. However, the resulting blue can vary from an aquamarine color to a more neon color. It depends on the stone. I have one like this as well. I keep it as a rare specimen, as it is an exceptionally rare color for tourmaline. The one the OP has is more of a grapey, rose de France, purple.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s a rare color for tourmaline. I have one just like it, but I keep it as a specimen and out of rarity. It is like a pale amethyst. Who knows, maybe it will be in a museum one day, or yours? :D
It’s my understanding that the more violet ones that are this color, as Elle is selling, are heated to blue. However, the resulting blue can vary from an aquamarine color to a more neon color. It depends on the stone. I have one like this as well. I keep it as a rare specimen, as it is an exceptionally rare color for tourmaline. The one the OP has is more of a grapey, rose de France, purple.

Thanks @T L ! Collecting stones for their rarity does interest me, but I haven’t started doing that yet. Maybe this stone can be my first :D. Does your stone that is pale amethyst in color like the one in the ring I purchased also have lots of eye visible inclusions? Does the price I paid seem reasonable? I’m also wondering if the stone could be anything other than tourmaline, or are the inclusions a pretty good indicator that it’s purple tourmaline?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C5206EBB-D850-4051-B9B0-DB4F5DC82E10.jpeg 597E08F7-C7D7-4D5F-97FB-7443C6C16337.jpeg
Thanks @T L ! Collecting stones for their rarity does interest me, but I haven’t started doing that yet. Maybe this stone can be my first :D. Does your stone that is pale amethyst in color like the one in the ring I purchased also have lots of eye visible inclusions? Does the price I paid seem reasonable? I’m also wondering if the stone could be anything other than tourmaline, or are the inclusions a pretty good indicator that it’s purple tourmaline?

If it’s four carats, then I think it’s a good deal, despite the inclusions. I paid $300 for my six carat stone like your around fifteen years ago. They both have GIT memos indicating copper. Here they both are, the violet and purple. Mine have some small inclusions. Your stone looks a lot like mine, but a lab would know for sure.

They definitely add to a gemstone collection.

ETA: the diamonds are very included, but I think the stone by itself, if it’s around 4 carats, is definitely worth $500, and it’s also 14k, which is nice.

Last edited:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the setting, you could always keep the ring, wear it for a while, see how you feel later. Maybe you take the chance heating it, maybe keep as a specimen and replace it with a precision cut rose de France (someone like Jeff Davies or his son might be able to cut/source one). You definitely have options!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C5206EBB-D850-4051-B9B0-DB4F5DC82E10.jpeg 597E08F7-C7D7-4D5F-97FB-7443C6C16337.jpeg

If it’s four carats, then I think it’s a good deal, despite the inclusions. I paid $300 for my six carat stone like your around fifteen years ago. They both have GIT memos indicating copper. Here they both are, the violet and purple. Mine have some small inclusions. Your stone looks a lot like mine, but a lab would know for sure.

They definitely add to a gemstone collection.

ETA: the diamonds are very included, but I think the stone by itself, if it’s around 4 carats, is definitely worth $500, and it’s also 14k, which is nice.

Your stones are gorgeous! :love: Thanks for sharing!
I’m still not sure if I’ll keep this one because of the inclusions in the tourmaline and am thinking it over. The diamonds in the setting look better in person. but aren’t top quality. They might clean up and brighten with a good soak, but there is a security tag on the ring that I can’t take off if I want to return it so I can’t soak it unfortunately.
I was looking at eBay and found a few purple tourmalines and this one in particular looks pretty to me. It looks less included and comes with a GIA report. I’m wondering if this one might be a better choice for me?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-51CT-US-...rentrq:7b74843416a0ad78ab3bc61bfffa4b84|iid:1
B71D8046-9D2C-474D-B234-D246DDBE16BB.jpeg
This seller has a few purple tourmalines and the prices as so varied. I can’t really figure out why, but I’m guessing pricing is based in rarity and they are all more expensive than this one.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
;))
If you like the setting, you could always keep the ring, wear it for a while, see how you feel later. Maybe you take the chance heating it, maybe keep as a specimen and replace it with a precision cut rose de France (someone like Jeff Davies or his son might be able to cut/source one). You definitely have options!
This is a great idea! It’s not a setting I would typically pick because I don’t usually wear large rings, but it is pretty and the stone is already set. It takes me forever to set a stone so it’s nice that this one is ready to wear. You have given me a lot of options to think about ;)).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words on my stones. I don’t care much for them, but I keep them as rarities. I would just say that if you are a serious tourmaline or gem collector, then maybe that cleaner, albeit windowed, stone is worth the price. If not, and you just love the color, I would get a well cut pale amethyst.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words on my stones. I don’t care much for them, but I keep them as rarities. I would just say that if you are a serious tourmaline or gem collector, then maybe that cleaner, albeit windowed, stone is worth the price. If not, and you just love the color, I would get a well cut pale amethyst.
@T L Your stones are sooo beautiful I’m surprised to hear you don’t care much for them! I love purple gems and tourmalines, so thought it would be neat to have a purple tourmaline :). I do like the idea of having something rare as well. I have been contemplating the eBay tourmaline, but once I pulled up it’s photo on the GIA site, I think it might end up being more pink than what I am looking for. It’s a very pretty color, but probably not the purple I was looking for. Here’s the GIA photo:
13B6FB2D-CDCB-4454-A968-1AC8EC565070.jpeg
I’m still thinking about whether or not to keep the purple tourmaline ring. I think I have another week left on my return period and it just might take me that long to decide what to do :lol:.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E7A8A3D4-1995-4D78-A691-8B205B589385.jpeg
To be honest, outside of some amazing purple sapphires that are extremely rare, nothing beats a fine amethyst for purple. There are some fine Rwandan gems on the market now and they’re affordable, but this is my really old Zambian amethyst. I bought it before the internet existed. It has red and blue flashes, so now you know why I’m meh about my purple tourmaline, but thank you. Not all amethyst is full of rich color though. If you love purple, get a really high quality African amethyst from a reliable dealer (there’s synthetic material).

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
E7A8A3D4-1995-4D78-A691-8B205B589385.jpeg
To be honest, outside of some amazing purple sapphires that are extremely rare, nothing beats a fine amethyst for purple. There are some fine Rwandan gems on the market now and they’re affordable, but this is my really old Zambian amethyst. I bought it before the internet existed. It has red and blue flashes, so now you know why I’m meh about my purple tourmaline, but thank you. Not all amethyst is full of rich color though. If you love purple, get a really high quality African amethyst from a reliable dealer (there’s synthetic material).
Oh Wow! That is absolutely gorgeous :love:. I bet stones that that are hard to come by. I’m going to start my search for something similar :)).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check Riouxrocks on Instagram or moriartygem (moregems.com). They sell comparable Rwandan material, and for the price of that eBay tourmaline, you can get one heck of an amethyst!!

Thank you for the kind words.;)2

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have a violet curprian with a GIT memo. Slightly above 7cts, never set. Love it to bits but its def not perfect. Has big ol copper tubes running through it along with a decent sized window but I will never ever heat it because I don't feel its even that good of a candidate nor is it really worth the risk for that type of rarity.

I will echo TL in that, you buy these guys because you happen to love the stone and love tourmalines or you're a collector, not because you can get a more expensive stone out of it. Being its a purple tourmaline, some of these sellers probably had it tested, and it was rejected for heating for either no copper, or, too many inclusions (or both, never know).

Also, if not stated with copper, you will want to verify that it is. Just an FYI, you can get plenty of purple tourmaline that don't have copper (I had 2!) Both I verified that they did not contain copper. One was sent back to the seller as they stated it had copper but lab said otherwise.

The stone is beautiful. If you just want a purple tourmaline, its a great candidate, otherwise, spend less and get an amethyst. (lots of ammy around that color)

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of the info @Arcadian ! Your violet cuprian sounds amazing!
I love purple gems and thought for the price it would be worth taking a look at this one in person. I was mostly just curious about heating purple tourmaline to Paraiba, but it sounds like most of the material that should be heated already has been. The color of the stone is a very pretty lavender purple, but I have decided to return the ring since the inclusions are pretty noticeable in good lighting. You can really see the inclusions in this photo next to my spinel. Both stones are lighter lavender in person.
0877238A-1773-492E-B995-1D190795FD3A.jpeg
Jeff Davies has several Rose de France amethyst right now and I have one on it’s was that I hope has a color similar to the tourmaline I’m returning. I asked him which one had the best pinkish purple color with the least amount of gray and he picked this one. I hope it looks like it’s photo in person :)).
EF61581C-DD2B-46B2-A54B-F948049B59B8.jpeg

Last edited:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A5042B25-12A8-40D9-ADE7-0E6BD15E27AC.jpeg 6E4733BF-BA38-4E2D-9E05-77F21FC1FB5F.jpeg B0BC611A-B9DE-41C9-8BBD-376CE4F7540D.jpeg

@2Neezers I recently received a Jeff Davies Rose de France. I hope this comparison helps.
Thanks for the photo comparison @strawrose . I love the shape of your amethyst and it looks like a pretty stone! Your photos do look at bit different from Jeff’s, so it’s helps a lot to know what to expect when I see the stone in person.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the photo comparison @strawrose . I love the shape of your amethyst and it looks like a pretty stone! Your photos do look at bit different from Jeff’s, so it’s helps a lot to know what to expect when I see the stone in person.

You’re welcome. Thanks! It’s still pretty, but it’s hard to find lighting that fits the color in the original photo. :think: Also, tourmaline has its own special properties. It can’t help but look different from quartz.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results