shape
carat
color
clarity

latest update

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought he was remaking it as well.

I think the bars cover too much of the stone so I''d change those to prongs. I wouldn''t fill in the nubs, I don''t think that''ll have any benefit to the design.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
N
Date: 6/13/2008 1:14:05 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

. I sometimes wonder if people just think this ring is downright ugly. And as I said, I can barely think about this anymore; I don''t trust my own judgment AT ALL!
Nope. Me likes this ring. I just think the execution could have been better. That''s why I suggested going with a tried and tested design.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey there, I just checked out your thread, and I agree, it would look better with the prongs instead of the bands. Are you working with Pete at Quest? Good luck! BTW< I love the idea for the ring, and I think it''s goign to be just gorgeous once it''s finished.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I just want to make sure everyone is clear on what is happening (at least as clear as I am!
3.gif
)

1. He is not remaking the ring; just making changes to the existing ring - as far as I know. Although I am thinking I should call him again to clarify everything.

2. Thus, he will be cutting off the hinged shank, and attaching a new, solid shank. I hope that is not a problem for it.

3. Since he is doing the above, he said he can remove the bars or ribs, and change what's holding that last diamond to prongs. The Scott Kay pictures were to illustrate a ring that has that idea. And so, hopefully, he can make that last U more symmetric.

4. Not sure why he wanted to fill in the holes with nubs now - I think he did say for strength, but since there won't be the hinged-shank causing pressure, I don't know why it needs it? When the ring was first designed, he wanted the holes and was against the nubs, while I was slightly torn. After I got the ring, but before everything went wrong, I had pretty much decided I like the holes and didn't want the nubs. It sounds like everyone who weighed in on it agrees.

5. He is putting a different diamond in the head, that is 1.25ct, vs. my 1.1ct e-diamond shown. It is about 0.4mm larger diameter. The reason to change the diamond is that I NEVER wanted my e-diamond in a RH-only ring, that doesn't even really fit correctly on the RH (as it did w/ the hinged shank). With the larger diamond, the center stone will probably sit slightly higher.

One other thing I didn't mention. I had asked if he could make the prongs on the center stone more dainty, as they are rather bulky. (when I see the picture of mine vs. the Scott Kay, above, I cringe at how much more bulky they are) He said he could do it, but he doesn't want to, because he is worried about the strength of the prongs holding the center stone. He said he could make the tips of the prongs daintier, but if he makes the rest dainty - well, he said he wants it to last for many many years. I am no expert; for now I said just make the prong tips daintier.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 1:39:40 PM
Author: strmrdr
It will bend where the arrow is pointing just like your ring did.
So filling them in has no effect.
Thanks, storm. I appreciate the input. When it has a solid-shank, do you think there should be any more problems w/ the U -design? (like the diamonds popping out) And, do you think there will be any structural problems with the fact that the shank will not have been part of the original casting of the ring, but just attached?

p.s. totally off-topic to strmrdr: My DH's late father had a National Match Garand, never been fired. Don't know much more than that... Hopefully I got that part right!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 6:21:25 PM
Date: 6/13/2008 1:39:40 PM

It will bend where the arrow is pointing just like your ring did.

So filling them in has no effect.

Thanks, storm. I appreciate the input. When it has a solid-shank, do you think there should be any more problems w/ the U -design? (like the diamonds popping out) And, do you think there will be any structural problems with the fact that the shank will not have been part of the original casting of the ring, but just attached?

p.s. totally off-topic to strmrdr: My DH''s late father had a National Match Garand, never been fired. Don''t know much more than that... Hopefully I got that part right!
sweet rifle :}

it should fix the bending problem, as long as it is properly attached it will be fine.
Rings are reshanked every day and last for decades.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OFG, I actually like the design as it is, with the exception that the ribs should not extend over quite so far and cover so much of the diamonds. That is a totally different design than the Scott Kay, so it won''t look like the SK even if you change to prongs instead of ribs, IMO. I like the holes and wouldn''t fill them.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Storm & DS! That makes me feel better.

Date: 6/13/2008 7:25:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That is a totally different design than the Scott Kay, so it won't look like the SK even if you change to prongs instead of ribs, IMO.
Yes, I realize it won't. I was just trying to show an example of prongs w/ no rib. And Pete knows I don't like the "pinch" in the SK 5 stone, so it'll be a bit more like where the sides meet the diamond in dockman's ring, although probably not quite like that either. I am not totally sure exactly what it will look like, although hopefully it will look nice. I found another picture - this one is pretty basic, where it's just prongs that meet a smooth shank. Maybe it will be mostly like this from the top? (except of course my diamonds are more graduated, and the shank will probably taper still )

CA_RD4040M 6_19.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 7:19:25 PM

Date: 6/13/2008 6:21:25 PM

p.s. totally off-topic to strmrdr: My DH''s late father had a National Match Garand, never been fired. Don''t know much more than that... Hopefully I got that part right!
sweet rifle :}
ha ha, one more threadjack to my own thread.... In the past when I would tell my DH about this forum, he would say, "we''ll have to get you on a rifle forum." Given how hard it is for me to get a ring right, I think he might be on to something...
3.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 4:22:16 PM
Author: vespergirl
Hey there, I just checked out your thread, and I agree, it would look better with the prongs instead of the bands. Are you working with Pete at Quest? Good luck! BTW< I love the idea for the ring, and I think it's goign to be just gorgeous once it's finished.
Thanks, vespergirl! When you say, "I love the idea for the ring, and I think it's goign to be just gorgeous once it's finished" - do you mean my ring w/ the tweaks that I'm talking about? It seems there was some confusion that it was being remade, and maybe I confused people by posting the Scott Kay pictures, because the overall look of my ring won't be that different from what it is now; as DS said it won't look like the SK ring.

And good luck with your ring!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, 86 the ribs in favor of prongs. I like the nubs, they give texture, but if you don't need them, why bother?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 7:35:57 PM
Thanks, Storm & DS! That makes me feel better.

Date: 6/13/2008 7:25:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That is a totally different design than the Scott Kay, so it won''t look like the SK even if you change to prongs instead of ribs, IMO.
Yes, I realize it won''t. I was just trying to show an example of prongs w/ no rib. And Pete knows I don''t like the ''pinch'' in the SK 5 stone, so it''ll be a bit more like where the sides meet the diamond in dockman''s ring, although probably not quite like that either. I am not totally sure exactly what it will look like, although hopefully it will look nice. I found another picture - this one is pretty basic, where it''s just prongs that meet a smooth shank. Maybe it will be mostly like this from the top? (except of course my diamonds are more graduated, and the shank will probably taper still )
I think I like this look better. And I like your ring overall OFG, it''s not ugly, at all.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 7:19:39 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 6/13/2008 7:35:57 PM
, where it's just prongs that meet a smooth shank.
I think I like this look better. And I like your ring overall OFG, it's not ugly, at all.
Well, as you can see I got busy & never got back to this thread. Thank you, Ellen, and thanks for all your support & helpful advice along the way. And thank you to everyone who has helped!!

Well, the ring is finally done. I don't have much time for pricescope today either, but wanted to at least post some pics in SMTR. I'll post one here too, maybe a shoulder view to compare w/ the above.

DSCN9306 prongs no ribs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results