shape
carat
color
clarity

Latest portrait minature

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Look, a new portrait miniature! This one has a name--"My Mother, Eva S. Strange," engraved on the back. Judging by her clothes and hair, she's from the 1850s, maybe late 1840s.

I like her serious, not-too-idealized face.

She seems to be wearing a cameo, perhaps angelskin coral, with matching earrings.

She has a chip and a crack in her glass covering, which is probably why I won her for a relatively low bid.

Penny for scale. She's pretty substantial.

mrsstrange3.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Close-up. It''s hard to get the camera to focus on the painting rather than the glass.

mrsstrange2.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
VERY cool Gliterata! I love seeing your portrait miniatures! Truly unique and special...works of art! Certainly a lost art form. I really appreciate the history behind these pieces...very interesting!

Thanks for sharing you newest treasure!
36.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
how interesting! and such wonderful detail for being so small. great find! thanks for sharing it with us.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Ara Ann & jcrow.

She's a fairly late portrait miniature. Photographs began to replace painted portrait minatures in the mid-19th century, around the time this one was painted. There was a brief revival about 100 years ago.

Here's the back. She's set in a gold brooch. The pin and clasp are from c. 1900, but they're replacements--if you look very carefully, you can see where the original pin and clasp attached a little lower. "My Mother" seems to have been engraved later than "Eva S. Strange." Perhaps the daughter had "My Mother" added when she replaced the old pin and clasp. (Ignore the metal safety thingie, which is modern.)

Someday, perhaps in my next life, I'm going to learn to paint portrait miniatures.

mrsstrangeback.jpg

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, I love it!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a great miniature - the portrait is a work of art, and the NAME! Good lord, it makes me want to write a novel about the mysterious life of Eva S. Strange (and her daughter, for that matter).

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 4:43:32 PM
Author: Circe
What a great miniature - the portrait is a work of art, and the NAME! Good lord, it makes me want to write a novel about the mysterious life of Eva S. Strange (and her daughter, for that matter).

You know, I had the same thought. Now when a novel appears with Eva S. Strange and her daughter in it, everybody will wonder whether it''s by Circe or Glitterata. (Or a lurker, of course.)

D

Deactivated member 42515

my MIL would loooove this thread! She loves antiques and she actually used to have an antique shop herself but now she just collects and maybe sells once iin a while on ebay. She has sooo many of these big and small all over her house!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Burberrygirl! YayTacori, I would love to visit your MIL''s house.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 4:55:59 PM
Author: glitterata

Date: 12/10/2009 4:43:32 PM
Author: Circe

You know, I had the same thought. Now when a novel appears with Eva S. Strange and her daughter in it, everybody will wonder whether it''s by Circe or Glitterata. (Or a lurker, of course.)
What a great piece!This woman has a very mysterious look about her!I Say she was lived a double life spying for the the northern states in the civil war while helping slaves to gain their freedom by using her sothern plantation as a safe house...Yep,shes a myserious one alright!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I love it. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results