shape
carat
color
clarity

latest eBay stone - pink/purple oval spinel

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I thought I'd post some pics of my latest eBay stone that I actually really like! I think I've decided for sure that I really do want a light/medium saturated stone for my e-ring, and can focus on finding THE stone now, rather than finding a range of inexpensive stones that appeal to me to determine the colour I like.

I paid $11 in total (stone and shipping) for this lovely little oval, and was quite pleased with Duos-n-Gemstone who I bought it from. It's 1.61ct, 7.8 x 6.4 x 4.5 and was described as a VS silver purple. It's usually somewhere between a lavender and a slightly purple-y pink depending on the light, and I like it a lot! I may set it into a small ring for my mother, since she also quite liked it. Any setting suggestions are welcome :)

I'll start with the vendor photo:

The stone is usually more purple to my eye than the colour in the listing:
(I found my toothpaste cap works quite well for holding the stone :tongue: )

The colour I see most often:

pink.jpg

IMG_4240.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
It's really pretty! Soft and feminine :D

I think a deco reproduction would really make it sing! Light and airy filligree :D

Just curious, have you had it put on a refractometer to test the RI?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a beautiful stone!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone ... $11?!?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1314769025|3006088 said:
Beautiful stone ... $11?!?

I know!!! I have been looking for a lavendar stone forever and i'm so jealous you found one for $11!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A superb purchase! :appl: A very sweet colour shifter that reminds me of the Luc Yen colour shift spinels. It is also well faceted to boot.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
davi_el_mejor, Thank you for your kind words :) I haven't subjected it to any testing. As a total newbie to all of this, I don't have any of my own equipment and didn't think that for $11 it is worth too much excitement. Do you know if the RI is something I could also someone local to check for me?

crasu, centralsquare, Sarahbear and Chrono, thank you for the lovely compliments :) I'm quite excited by the bargain I got it for too. I've been stalking eBay religiously for a few months now, and it definitely gets tiring looking for that perfect shade, so I feel your pain Sarahbear.

I am thinking about having it mounted in a silver reproduction setting from jansjewells while I make up my mind for a "forever home", and so that I can see how I feel about settings with filigree (most of my jewelry is more modern and simple), but am also thinking about a Daniel M argentium ring with a rose gold bridged bezel (maybe set E-W), possibly millgrained.... what do you guys think?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good buy. Just goes to show you how much a better value spinels are vs sapphires. It's also well cut to boot.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow $11?? What a great find! Very pretty stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful color! I really like!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Thank you ladies! The more I play with it, the more I love it.

Chrono, I did a search for Luc Yen spinels and you're right! Yours is so lovely. Maybe our stones are distant cousins :))

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
ooooooooooooooohhhhh :cheeky: :bigsmile:

lovely! lavender has always been one of my favorite colors (as a girl I even had my whole room painted a pale purple :rodent: )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
petit_bijou|1314915044|3007765 said:

Chrono, I did a search for Luc Yen spinels and you're right! Yours is so lovely. Maybe our stones are distant cousins :))

Tell you what, I'll take this stone off your hands for double the price ($22). Deal? :naughty:

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1314966631|3008155 said:
petit_bijou|1314915044|3007765 said:

Tell you what, I'll take this stone off your hands for double the price ($22). Deal? :naughty:

:lol: sorry Chrono, this little one's sticking with me :bigsmile:

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! What a great deal! Beautiful Stone!

~Justin

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results