shape
carat
color
clarity

Last minute pendant anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My diamond is at the jewelers being made into a necklace like the Tiffany by the Yards pendant/necklace like the picture below and now I'm having last minute concerns. This is a VERY sentimental diamond, which I want to keep protected, and I'm wondering with the point of the diamond being exposed if it risks being damaged more easily if I drop the necklace than if set in a basket setting.

I like this setting a lot and don't want a bezel that extends back to cover the back of the diamond, like most diamond bezels are made, so it's this exact setting or a basket.

Thanks for any comments,
Michelle

pendantback.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A gemstone’s culet is where the pavilion facets terminate at the bottom. The facets either come to a point (a closed culet) or there’s a very small facet parallel to the table facet. All culets are vulnerable to breakage or splintering, so to reduce your risk of having the pavillion of your diamond damaged I would choose a basket setting. The advantage of the setting you are choosing is that it lets more light enter the stone. I have seen many 1/2 bezel type settings that provide a similiar look with the added protection of the mounting extending down the full legnth of the diamond. Many tension mounts you see will have the bottom of the band flush with the bottom of the diamond or a tad thicker just for this reason in preventing the cutlet from being exposed.

Depending on how often you will wear our pendent and what care is taken should also be factored into your decision. A pendant will not receive as much wear as a ring. I think if your careful with your jewelry you shouldn't worry.../idealbb/images/smilies/wavey.gif

If you want to be on the safe side a basket type setting would have the added protection../idealbb/images/smilies/appl.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tip of the diamond will be placed against your skin/clothing, so, unless your are wearing armour, all is well. I wouldn't drop that among other diamond jewelry and toss'em good, but, hopefully, this never happens anyway. This is a nice, safe setting for earings and necklaces. The respective bracelet makes me nervous, but that is a whole different matter: who bangs their pendant againsst tables and keyboards all day?

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
That's a lovely pendant setting! I had a stone set a couple of years ago into a bezel pendant and had the same issue. The jeweler made a bridge going across the back of it- but it was done more to protect my neck than the diamond. I don't think there's much chance of harm coming to it on a pendant but you may want to ask your jeweler about doing something like that.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
JMHO, it would cause me concern.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I hope that the pendant will sit against clothing instead of your neck, because I had a pendant where just a tiny bit of the culet was against my neck, and it drove me nuts. I was constantly itchy in that spot, so I finally replaced the setting.
10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wanted to also chime in that the culet hitting my skin would also drive me insane..but that said..I don't think that the exposed backing presents ANY problem. I mean is your chest made of rock? How often do you plan to be dropping this pendant on the ground and stomping on it? I understand the paranoia...but I think it's just that...paranoia. I can't even recall when I have dropped my pendants or necklaces on the ground..it just doesn't really seem to happen. Get the setting, wear it happily. But be sure the culet won't bother you scraping against your skin
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Michelle!

I tried a pendant like that and I had the "scratches the skin" problem with it. Dittos to the advice you've heard so far. You aren't going to be nearly as likely to hit a pendant against something as you would a ring or bracelet.

Give it a try. If you love it, GREAT! If it bothers you like it did me, then simply change it out for a pendant like MINE!
love.gif
It's a half bezel set, styled much the same as yours, but goes deeper, beyond the cutlet of the diamond. I may be wrong, but it seems all a smith would have to do is exchange one pendant setting for another in the same necklace.

Good Luck with your new bauble. And do post pics when you get it. We'd all love to see it!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, thanks so much everyone. . .I talked to my husband, too, who just wanted to change the subject to ANYTHING but diamonds (lol), but I AM going to try the setting. It's being hand crafted so IF the back bothers me, I'm going to have the jeweler design a small basket around the back of the diamond to protect my chest and the culet.

But at any rate, I just want to enjoy my necklace.

. . .AHHH, I am too anxiety prone (yes, "paranoia" as Mara would call it. . .holiday related overload, I guess). Okay, I'll go take a valium now (hahaha - just kidding
1.gif

Michelle

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
More like second guessing yourself, Michelle. LOLOL

I went round and round over my pendant. First it was gonna be bar-style set. Luved that one. Oh, but saw the Tiff style. Luved that. Oh, wait, that one scratches. Back to bar-style. Then on to basket for a bit. FINALLY saw the half bezel and I was in LUST big time.
3.gif

Enjoy the pendant and do post pics when you get it done!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, PQ! I love your pendant, btw
1.gif
That'll probably be the size of my eng. ring upgrade (lol) - hopefully I can find an amazing SI like you did!

I'll be sure to post pictures when my pendant is done. Should be finished on the 20th (just two days after my b-day
1.gif

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results