shape
carat
color
clarity

Last minute HELP!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

Today is the wedding. Not mine of course-- the wedding where SO is best man. So here's the question: the ceremony is from 2 to 3 pm. Then the bridal party leaves to take pictures and then the reception begins at 6pm, but the bridal party is arriving at 5:30.

There's a good 2.5 hours of my SO being occupied. I just wonder what I'm supposed to do during this time. I'm not even arriving with him because they have arranged to have the bridal party in a limo...

I'm not taking it personally, there's just a huge time discrepancy. I get that they're going out of the way to take pictures and etc., but what are regular ol' guests supposed to do?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Eat lunch? I have no darn clue and never understood a huge gap like that. If you're in a new area it might be a good opportunity to do a bit of local shopping, see the the town, or grab a bite to eat if you are hungry.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you typically like to do with your free time?

I would bring a book, find a nice cafe, and enjoy the solitary afternoon with some good reading and a beverage of my choice.

Long walks are usually very nice, as well.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there stores in the area where you could window shop? Maybe there's a bar at the reception place and you could get a drink, or a coffee or something - or get something to eat as SB suggested. Bring a book and find a spot to just hang out for a while?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eesh. I don't get that either. I think Haven has some good suggestions. I'd probably take a book or find some stores to wander around in.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto the above - window shopping, a cafe, a book, check out the locale - be sure to bring along some more comfortable shoes (if necessary) so you can walk around a bit! Take the opportunity to relax and enjoy a bit of "me" time before you head into the reception.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
This happened to me at a wedding where FH was best man. I just hung around there, stalked them while they were taking pics ( :cheeky:), roamed the grounds where the wedding was taking place, etc.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Socialize with the other guests.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you dress up for a wedding and then have to sit around somewhere dressed up waiting for 3 hours for the reception??? That kind of schedule is really not considerate to guests, imo.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
can you go home or to the hotel? watch tv or take a nap? we had a gap like that at ours...the church only did weddings at a specific time on saturday and it was too early to have a reception right after.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I hate the gap! I'd find a bookstore or coffee shop and spend some quality time with a few magazines.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on the proximity and availability, I'd go to an art museum. If that wasn't close by, I'd most likely read a book. If the reception was near my hotel, I'd relax in the hotel room to read and then touch up, but if not, I'd bring my kindle with me to the wedding and read it between the events.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! I ended up going back so SO's home-- his brother drove to the ceremony with his father so we were all in the same car. SOs dad wasn't going to the reception, so it made the most sense to come back home.
I ended up changing, getting comfortable for an hour, then dressed up again, touched up and we (SO's brother and I) made our way back.

As far as weddings go, it was cute. They had an awesome ice sculpture with roses frozen in the center. But that was the nicest thing there.

Oh advice to BWWs who want to have the bridal party all together- have some way for them to get back to the original destination so that they may pick up their cars. And, of course, don't leave without them. Both instances occurred, pretty sad really. Oh, also, diversify the music. Sure, it's your wedding, but when all the music is hip hop/rap, not all the guests who would dance know how to dance to that. Then again, the overall ambiance was that of a sweet sixteen, so I doubt the BWWs here would have that issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results