shape
carat
color
clarity

Last minute (and probably unrealistic) Request for Advice

boneil04

Rough_Rock
Although this is my first post, I've spent a great deal of time in this forum. If I've learned anything, it's that a princess cut's performance is often difficult to predict with numbers. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't born with a distinguishing eye. Frankly, the vast majority of stones look nearly the same to me. For example, one Cartier rep wanted to demonstrate the superiority of an E v G, laid two stones in front of me, and said I bet you can guess which stone was graded E. She lost.

So, I'm planning to purchase Monday (for a Saturday proposal). I have two stones reserved and cannot decide between them. Again, I realize numbers are only so useful, but I thought that for the first time I should ask you good folks to chime in before I cross the finish line. Here are the two stones, both are solataire princess cuts and eye clean. I suppose if there was one specific question I'd throw out there, it is whether the combination either stone's pavilion/crown angles raise a flag, red or green. But, any advice/observations/etc will be very much appreciated.

1) 1.57 c - G - SI1
Depth % - 71.7
Table % - 68
Crown height % - 12.8
Crown ang - 36.5
Pavilion Depth % - 55.8
Pavilion ang - 38.1
Girdle - medium to slightly thick
Symmetry - VG
Polish - Ex

2) 1.51 c - G - SI1
Depth % - 70.8
Table % - 69
Crown height % - 9.2
Crown ang - 27.3
Pavilion depth % - 59.7
Pavilion ang - 39.5
Girdle - thin to medium
Symmetry - VG
Polish - Ex

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Re: Last minute (and probably unrealistic) Request for Advic

I'm leaning towards diamond 1 but do you have the mm's on both?

boneil04

Rough_Rock

whoops, meant to include -

stone 1: 6.41 x 6.25 x 4.48

stone 2: 6.57 x 6.31 x 4.47

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

boneil04|1359757596|3370017 said:
whoops, meant to include -

stone 1: 6.41 x 6.25 x 4.48

stone 2: 6.57 x 6.31 x 4.47

That's interesting. It's really hard to tell though on a princess cut stone. Do you have pictures? The mm info helps because even though the 1.57 is a bigger carat weight, the 1.51 will look bigger...unless you have those flipped around? Can you post pictures or links to the stones?

boneil04

Rough_Rock

Unfortunately no pictures, but those are the correct dimensions. I was also thrown off a bit by the weight v dimension comparison. The 1.51 looks *slightly* larger face up, but not so much larger as to make surface area an important criteria.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you take someone with you that has a little more decerning taste? We cant really tell much/anything from the numbers.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

The depth and combo crown and pav angles is causing the 1.51 to face up larger. You're correct that purchasing fancy cuts by the numbers is impossible. If I was forced to do so I would look for a Princess graded ideal by AGS. Are you determined to purchase from Cartier? Without seeing photos my choice would be for the first stone.

you may find this helpful though...https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/princess-cut-diamond

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

I don't have anything to say about princess cut stones but would second Christina's recommendation to read a little about them.

The color of the stone doesn't have anything to do with the way a stone sparkles but that's all that store reps seem to sell on, but the quality of cut does and for that reason I would also recommend looking at AGS Ideal graded stones.

boneil04

Rough_Rock

Christina...|1359759207|3370042 said:
The depth and combo crown and pav angles is causing the 1.51 to face up larger. You're correct that purchasing fancy cuts by the numbers is impossible. If I was forced to do so I would look for a Princess graded ideal by AGS. Are you determined to purchase from Cartier? Without seeing photos my choice would be for the first stone.

you may find this helpful though...https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/princess-cut-diamond

Thanks for the link. According to that chart, which I have seen before, stone one is superior based on its larger crown height percentage and slightly lower table percentage; however, I have seen discussions on this forum disputing the value of those guidlines.

The rings aren't from Cartier. I didn't care for the 1895. The rings are from Tiffany's, and I am fully aware that I'm overpaying. But I'm ok with that.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you really cannot see any difference between them, I'd take the 1.57: smaller table, higher crown, more square. And I had no idea T&Co carried SI1 for engagement rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results