shape
carat
color
clarity

lasered or clarity enhanced diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
I got to think from reading goodoldgold site that lasered and clarity enhanced diamonds are fine. however, I read somewhere that I2/I3 clarity affects a diamond's beauty and durability. Most of the lasered and clarity enhanced diamonds are of I2-I3 category or they wouldn't go through these kind of treatment; therefore, even if one buys a nice looking diamond that has been lasered or enhanced, the beauty and durability of diamond is questionable, don't you think?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Laser drilled stones are not not fracture filled stones. Most simply have a hole two toallow acids to etch the inclusions permanently out. GIA grade these stones.
Most but not all fracture filled stones have laser holes. GIA do not grade FF stones because the treatment is not permanent (as in forever).
Often an I1 stone will be filled to make a VS to SI grade. but you never know what the original grade was.
I dont believe anyone has ever proved a relationship between inclusions and diamonds breaking.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We sometimes see laser drill tubules in VS2 diamonds. Most are found in SI2 and below, but there is no rule about this.
Lasering does nothing in terms of hurting durability.

Diamonds that have been glass infilled are a different beast. They may be defective from the start, but they may look excellent to the casual eyed observer or at a distance from an expert. They can be inherently faulty, but they can also be only slightly treated and pretty durable stones to begin with. Again, there is no rule on this.

Priced properly, both types of treatments have acceptable outcomes. They make diamonds more affordable for people who seek "genuine diamonds" versus "fine clarity diamonds". Whatever floats YOUR boat. It is nice to have choices and no one ought to be deterred or unable to find something they like. Full disclsure of any treatments is fair and essential in order to stay a contented consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results